Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #46
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Could the claiming game continue to operate if the sport did it's due diligence to ensure that runners are sound?

I believe that it's possible, but that it would present adversity (obviously field size vs. conditions would be an issue)...

Personally, I can see that we have a problem. The solution and the details are outside of my circle of competence. I don't know the answers.
Good post.

This comes back to “too many tracks”

It’s possible maybe from October to April but not in July when 35 to 50 tracks run on the same day
Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #47
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
You are mostly a idiot, and this post proves it. WTF.
Way to step up and ID yourself as being plainly too stupid to understand something so crystal clear.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #48
oughtoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
This has to be the worst year on record for horse racing. I have no idea the legalities of dumping a thoroughbred in a landfill but the optics of it are abhorrent. I will not be playing Mountaineer any longer unless something significant comes of this and Mountaineer is leading the charge.

Horse racing has been a big part of my life since the mid 1980's. While there are things I really don't like about the sport it somehow has always tipped just enough on the positive side to keep me involved. I figured it would be with me until the day I die. But the negatives are starting to pile up and it is getting uglier and more difficult to rationalize. I don't know if others feel this way but I'm beginning to see an end for me, and possibly the sport in general. It really, really needs some action, and soon.
I have been following since the late 60's and I feel the same way. Except for the big races I don't watch much anymore. It is sad.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #49
cutchemist42

Good article....thanks for posting.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 10-17-2019 at 09:30 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #50
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'll be attending this years Breeders Cup for the 10th time in the last 11 years. Like you, horse racing has been a very large part of my life and I adore these living breathing beautiful animals that were born to run.

On the flip side, I also know I fell in love with this sport due to the dirty side of gambling and the degenerate feel of the next high and the next win.

I'm pretty sure this will be my last time attending a Breeders Cup as prices are just too high, and the racing simply isn't as good as it once was. I duly love all the pomp and pageantry of the event, and they do it like none other; especially at Santa Anita. However, $1,200 seats, $500 plane tickets, and $300 a night hotel rooms add up. By the time I show up on Thursday at Santa Anita this year, I'll be $3K in the hole before making a wager.

And when you hear and read stories like these, a bit of your heart breaks. And then you know you may be a part of something that just isn't all that good. There are so many many good people in this industry, but the grossly rotten apples are getting to be too tough to overlook any more.

A concerted effort needs to be made. Not just media speak, but an actual effort by this industry.

I am one of the thousands of gambling and heavily interested supporters of this great sport. I, unfortunately, am seeing a window in which this sport can no longer be a part of my life if it continues down its current path of non-action, 5 horse fields, milkshake trainers, and anything and everything in between.

On the top end we have numerous horses at the Keeneland sales gather in prices of $400K or more, and on the bottom end we have $4K claimers getting thrown into a landfill after passing. The top and the bottom have to get much closer to one another.

Change has to happen. If not now, then it isn't when, it is never.
Well written/said!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #51
burnsy
self medicated

The article is well written and dead on. It’s like they don’t know the heat is on, don’t care, think it will go away as they’ve got by before or are tanking purposely.
The statement made that this sport is being judged by its worst characters or incidents is absolutely accurate.

Appearance is everything when you are in the bulls eye. Doesn’t the industry get this? People can rationalize or argue the legalities or political influences like PETA. But man, these people are losing in the court of public opinion at every turn when this crap surfaces. Call the suicide hot line already.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #52
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
Twitter has many tweets about calling MNR and the WVA state racing comm. for answers and to complain. some are stating stop betting MNR!
How many times did the feds have to go to Penn and how many people are still wagering there.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #53
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Appearance is everything when you are in the bulls eye. Doesn’t the industry get this?
Not unless they ask why they ARE in the bullseye in the first place.

Mostly what you will hear is that it's always somebody else's fault, that somebody is out to get them, the list goes on and on.

It's never about the actual practices that occur. And that keep re-occurring (there's the rub).

How many "examples" have to be made before they get it?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #54
jimmyb

Crickets from Mountaineer and the Racing Comm.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #55
dlivery

Feds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Come on just a jumping stone to be white.
Right
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #56
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Not a whole lot they can say. ooops?

Meanwhile, RIP Bridget Moloney. You were an 8 year old mare who took a bad step racing for your connections. You put in your time from 2013 to 2019 running 73 races with a jockey on your back, earning close to $400,000 for various people........the hard way, mostly in claiming races.
She once ran in a stakes race for 100K.

I'm truly sorry nobody thought you deserved better than to be tossed in a landfill.

Last edited by clicknow; 10-17-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #57
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Not unless they ask why they ARE in the bullseye in the first place.

Mostly what you will hear is that it's always somebody else's fault, that somebody is out to get them, the list goes on and on.

It's never about the actual practices that occur. And that keep re-occurring (there's the rub).

How many "examples" have to be made before they get it?
This is the most disheartening aspect of this . You are right they never bend a knee and admit anything to start somewhere with crack downs to clean up. I call this the “ jimson weed” affect. Every explanation or reaction is an excuse or “PETA” did “ it”. How long can you get by on that? While the wolves are circling and the public is breathing down your neck?

Other sports have been through it. Baseball had to be hauled in before hearings. Does horse racing want that? I suppose the crack down comes quicker when humans are involved. The poor horses can’t talk. But these sports weed out the bad actors now and it’s long punishments or shown the door if one screws up too many times. Granted if the person is talented it takes a little longer but these people don’t have immunity forever. You screw up , eventually you will be gone. It doesn’t always work but at least these sports try to avoid the constant negative headline by doling out consequences. Cause “ PETA” is the bogeyman is not gonna get you sympathy anymore when this stuff comes up . It’s clear as day

Last edited by burnsy; 10-18-2019 at 08:23 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #58
Elkchester Road

If you wager at this shithole...you are part of the problem.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #59
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Lay down with dogs...........

Get up with fleas
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #60
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Meanwhile, RIP Bridget Moloney. You were an 8 year old mare who took a bad step racing for your connections. You put in your time from 2013 to 2019 running 73 races with a jockey on your back, earning close to $400,000 for various people........the hard way, mostly in claiming races.
She once ran in a stakes race for 100K.

I'm truly sorry nobody thought you deserved better than to be tossed in a landfill.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply