Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #16
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
I'm logged in as Administrator ok, and I've pretty much tried all the above suggestions - still says access denied.

I used to type chkdsk C:/f/r to get to where it would schedule to run the utility upon the next start up, but something has caused my access to be denied. Very strange.
This MIGHT have something to do with user account control being affected, so try making a new user account (even an admin account) and try again.
Longshot6977 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #17
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
This MIGHT have something to do with user account control being affected, so try making a new user account (even an admin account) and try again.
There is no UAC in Win XP but your suggestion might work. He could also log in with the built-in Administrator account instead of creating a new account. In fact, based on my reply to GT maybe he should try running the command prompt using Run As.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone
Should work since will run before windows boots.
Ocala is obviously not getting the message that gives him the option to run at boot time or he would have posted that. (He probably wouldn't have started the thread if that was the case.)
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #18
098poi

With XP can't you double click on My Computer, highlight and rt. click on the c: drive, select properties, when window comes up select tools tab, select something about checking drive for errors, select both options, say apply or ok, then it will ask if you want to schedule check for next boot,say yes and reboot, when it comes up it will say to skip check hit any key, don't hit any key and just let it run.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
Ocala Mike

Check Disk Problems

Thanks to all for your help, and special thanks to 098poi whose solution to go through the tools option worked perfectly. His solution also opened the door to me backing up all my stuff onto a disk as soon as possible, which you can also do through the same option.

"The volume is clean. Windows has completed checking the disk."

Also, thanks to PA for running this website which is now a close second for me to my favorite camgirl site on which a 73-year old guy (who obviously knows nothing about computers) can delude himself into thinking a 22-year old gal wants to "get to know him."

Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #20
098poi

Glad it worked for you. If I might suggest you should think about upgrading from XP. You may leave yourself vulnerable to the web. Not just viruses but possible access to your machine and files from a bad guy.
Here is a link about why and I think this is from a year ago

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456104,00.asp

Last edited by 098poi; 03-29-2015 at 09:45 PM.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
Ocala Mike

Check Disk Problems

Thanks for the link; it's in the works.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply