Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
BELMONT 6-6-09

Distance capability

A great deal had been written about distance capability ( the ability to handle todays distance). Some say that a 3 year old and up horse should have a win at todays distance to have a percentage advantage ( provided the other pertinent factors are present) depending on your own handicapping truths.

Frank Romano was a successful player from the left coast who insisted on a win at todays distance in order to make his standard $2,000 win bets. Other successful players argue that proven distance capability is more important then the class factor in handicapping.

I am not here to argue or discuss the different subjective handicapping theory's , just to find any opinions on how you handle the distance factor when attempting to gain a high percentage expectation realistic value win wager. More or less a horse that would be a single in a pick 3 or 4 etc. A very solid key horse that could be used with confidence and it's relationship to the distance capability factor.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09
A great deal had been written about distance capability ( the ability to handle todays distance). Some say that a 3 year old and up horse should have a win at todays distance to have a percentage advantage ( provided the other pertinent factors are present) depending on your own handicapping truths.

Frank Romano was a successful player from the left coast who insisted on a win at todays distance in order to make his standard $2,000 win bets. Other successful players argue that proven distance capability is more important then the class factor in handicapping.

I am not here to argue or discuss the different subjective handicapping theory's , just to find any opinions on how you handle the distance factor when attempting to gain a high percentage expectation realistic value win wager. More or less a horse that would be a single in a pick 3 or 4 etc. A very solid key horse that could be used with confidence and it's relationship to the distance capability factor.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.
I think a victory at today's distance is too strict a requirement. What if the horse shows a narrow loss at today's distance...or a good effort while registering an impressive speed figure? Isn't that adequate proof that the horse can "handle the distance"?

I also find argument with the notion that the horse must show proof of handling the "exact" distance of today's race. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference between 6 and 6.5 furlongs...nor do I think there is a noticeable difference between a mile and a sixteenth, and a mile and an eight.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-27-2015 at 08:32 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

I agree with Gus, the key for the elite horseplayer is to be "on" a horse BEFORE he shows he can win at the distance......once a horse shows it, everyone is in on it and you get less value. A lot of my largest plays are specifically designed around young horses who haven't yet stretched out but thru video analysis, looking at the breeding and the connections, analyzing the situation, you can make a good guess as to which horses were prepped in sprints and now they're stretching out to the race they were essentially pointing for.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I think a victory at today's distance is too strict a requirement. What if the horse shows a narrow loss at today's distance...or a good effort while registering an impressive speed figure? Isn't that adequate proof that the horse can "handle the distance"?

I also find argument with the notion that the horse must show proof of handling the "exact" distance of today's race. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference between 6 and 6.5 furlongs...nor do I think there is a noticeable difference between a mile and a sixteenth, and a mile and an eight.
Don't agree on the 1 1/16 vs. 1 1/8, but I have no hard evidence to support my position. Perhaps a database player can chime in on the matter.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Don't agree on the 1 1/16 vs. 1 1/8, but I have no hard evidence to support my position. Perhaps a database player can chime in on the matter.
If a horse shows that it can handle a mile and a sixteenth, then it deserves the benefit of the doubt at a mile and an eighth...in my opinion. My money...my rules.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Overlay

I don't use the distance factor as an elimination criterion in any race, but I tend to look less favorably on horses that are "shortening up" today (especially if they have shown no signs of early foot at longer distances), as opposed to "stretching out".

My main means of incorporating distance are in my evaluation of early speed, and in the assignment of different weights to a horse's ranking against its competition with respect to the handicapping characteristics that I use to develop each horse's probability of winning, depending in part on the distance at which today's race is being run.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:

Frank Romano was a successful player from the left coast who insisted on a win at todays distance in order to make his standard $2,000 win bets...
I recall meeting a Frank Romano years ago, he was a big man who apparently unknown to me at the time also made frequent big bets ($1000 or more). I remember him being a very nice, personable and helpful handicapper.

When you say was, is he no longer wagering?

Did he write a book?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 03-28-2015 at 05:57 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
I recall meeting a Frank Romano years ago, he was a big man who apparently unknown to me at the time also made frequent big bets ($1000 or more). I remember him being a very nice, personable and helpful handicapper.

Did he write a book?

Romano was one of the handicappers featured in James Quinn's book THE NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS. That book was single-handedly responsible for driving all the major book publishers out of the business of publishing horse handicapping material.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Romano was one of the handicappers featured in James Quinn's book THE NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS. That book was single-handedly responsible for driving all the major book publishers out of the business of publishing horse handicapping material.

I really don't understand your post but, I never read Quinn's book either. Actually, I never heard of it. Quinn has been a prolific writer over the years and knows his shit.

Is this a new one?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Cratos

[QUOTE=BELMONT 6-6-09]A great deal had been written about distance capability ( the ability to handle todays distance). Some say that a 3 year old and up horse should have a win at todays distance to have a percentage advantage ( provided the other pertinent factors are present) depending on your own handicapping truths.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.[/QUOTE

I am a conformist to parametric handicapping and I always look for the "parent-child" relationship in the handicapping of racehorses.

In the case of distance, this relationship is that distance is the child of stamina and stamina is the child of energy.

In horseracing energy can be measured in MJoules and from that measurement, the horse's distance capability can be derived.

This is a nontrivial calculation and should be done using statistical modelling.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
I really don't understand your post but, I never read Quinn's book either. Actually, I never heard of it. Quinn has been a prolific writer over the years and knows his shit.

Is this a new one?
http://www.amazon.com/New-Expert-Han...t+handicappers
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

[QUOTE=Cratos]
Quote:

Thanks in advance for any reply's.[/QUOTE

I am a conformist to parametric handicapping and I always look for the "parent-child" relationship in the handicapping of racehorses.

In the case of distance, this relationship is that distance is the child of stamina and stamina is the child of energy.

In horseracing energy can be measured in MJoules and from that measurement, the horse's distance capability can be derived.

This is a nontrivial calculation and should be done using statistical modelling.
I love the certainty with which you speak. If you truly believe you can accurately project a horse's distance capabilities, you should open up a public training stable. You can also easily eliminate horses for races like the KY Derby. Horses are flesh and blood, not machines. As a result, "modeling," while it may offer insights, is unreliable.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:

Right, but were you recommending or panning the book? You seem to have a strong opinion on it. If you're recommending, I'll probably order a copy.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Right, but were you recommending or panning the book? You seem to have a strong opinion on it. If you're recommending, I'll probably order a copy.
I wasn't recommending the book. With one or two exceptions, the "experts" that Quinn chose to include were mere hobbyists...and the advice that these experts chose to pass on to the reader were nothing that hadn't been written about many times before. All of the advice given in the book is severely dated...and this includes the advice given by Frank Romano.

You can secure a decent copy from Amazon for only a couple of dollars...but the book may not even be worth THAT much...
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:

Did he write a book?

Frank Romano wagering flat $2,000 win bets ( one a day) wanted assurance that the selection won at the distance wagering within that wager size.
From the article: A strict conservative. he expects horses 3 up to have won at todays distance on today's surface, and is not lenient about wins at related distances. the reasoning is understandable at Romano's investment threshold. He does not care to squander two grand betting mature horses will do something today they have never done before.

Last edited by BELMONT 6-6-09; 03-28-2015 at 08:28 PM.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply