Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
jay68802

Kentucky Overturns Drug Suspension's

As a fan of this sport, once in a while I feel that I am always seeing things in a negative light. That no news is good news and I am sitting here waiting for the next scandal to happen.

I think the Kentucky stewards got this one right. Even though this decision took way to long and might open up a appeal for every positive test, they did the right thing.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...-arnold-sharp/
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
HalvOnHorseracing

This is much larger than it may seem. This paragraph,

As a drug is processed by the body, it may be broken down into pieces which are chemically different from the original substance. These are referred to as metabolites. Guilfoil said there were metabolites for ractopamine in the test samples, but there was not a sufficient amount of ractopamine itself. The stewards were advised Monday that without the presence of ractopamine in a sample, it should no longer be considered “positive.”

seems to say, unless we catch you with an illegal amount of the actual drug in your system in the post race sample, you're clear. The trace amounts of cocaine or methamphetamines - no problem if all we've got are metabolites, or the actual sample amount is too small to have

That logic seems to indicate a horse like Masochistic shouldn't have been on the hook because there either wasn't enough steroid in his system to help him or it had all been metabolized and one of the metabolites, at picogram levels mind you, was still in Masochistic's system, just like the two horses in KY.

It all seems fishy to me.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
This is much larger than it may seem. This paragraph,

As a drug is processed by the body, it may be broken down into pieces which are chemically different from the original substance. These are referred to as metabolites. Guilfoil said there were metabolites for ractopamine in the test samples, but there was not a sufficient amount of ractopamine itself. The stewards were advised Monday that without the presence of ractopamine in a sample, it should no longer be considered “positive.”

seems to say, unless we catch you with an illegal amount of the actual drug in your system in the post race sample, you're clear. The trace amounts of cocaine or methamphetamines - no problem if all we've got are metabolites, or the actual sample amount is too small to have

That logic seems to indicate a horse like Masochistic shouldn't have been on the hook because there either wasn't enough steroid in his system to help him or it had all been metabolized and one of the metabolites, at picogram levels mind you, was still in Masochistic's system, just like the two horses in KY.

It all seems fishy to me.
It's safe to say these jurisdictions and their testing labs and procedures are dysfunctional to one degree or another. IMO the whole testing system is a money grab for labs and regulators with very little accountability.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Spalding No!

It can not only happen to you...it can happen to you twice.

Joe Sharp (along with media darling Jorge Navarro) was also hit with a Class 1 positive (methamphetamine) at Monmouth Park only as far back as last October. Both he and Navarro (whose positive was for cocaine and morphine) were only fined rather than suspended (minimum one year) because there were mitigating circumstances.

https://www.paulickreport.com/.../na...-class-1-drug- violations-mitigating-circumstances-cited/
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

What is the point of banning steroids if you just pump them up for months, let the stuff clear, and race once or twice a year? Maybe Ellis took the brunt of a poorly written rule, but I feel no sympathy for him since I think he was trying to skirt the intent of the rule. He was even warned he'd fail and took a chance anyway.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

I wasn't defending Ellis. It just seemed that if you applied the KY logic to Masochistic, Ellis skates.

KY has certainly created confusion around the meaning of "zero tolerance."
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I wasn't defending Ellis. It just seemed that if you applied the KY logic to Masochistic, Ellis skates.

KY has certainly created confusion around the meaning of "zero tolerance."
Yeah, I agree. You have to wonder if this happened to Navarro and Karl Broberg what would have happened.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I can't describe the warm fuzzy felling this gives me.

Guess if you run "about" clean, you are OK in this game.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
dlivery

I think we should be asking about a urine sample of the trainers.
Is this a game of checkers or what ever we are about to find out.
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: