Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #16
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Knew I could count on you.
Quoted form Vermont sources......Not like you to fall for sample error and extracting conclusions from so small an overall sample size.

Recall the fable of the 9 blind men and the elephant?

Last edited by 46zilzal; 10-09-2021 at 05:49 PM.
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #17
46zilzal
velocitician

Dave, I have the utmost respect for your unique and innovative ability to test and project from historical outcomes in your software: They have changed the fortunes of this bettor many times over. So, it is surprising that you could project on such a small sample size.

Did I miss something here? If so please explain it to me

9 blindmen and the elephant is another way of explaining the narrative fallacy.
This parable has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies; BROADLY it implies that one's subjective experience can be true, but that such experience is inherently limited by it failure to account for other truths or a totality of truth. This parable provides insight into the relativism opaqueness or inexpressible nature to truth, the behavior of experts in fields of contradicting theories, the need for deeper understanding, and respect for different perspective on the same object of observation.

Jacob Bernoulli was the first to observe that a MULTITUDE of observations are necessary to draw any long term conclusions on just about anything.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #18
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Dave, I have the utmost respect for your unique and innovative ability to test and project from historical outcomes in your software: They have changed the fortunes of this bettor many times over. So, it is surprising that you could project on such a small sample size.

This parable has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies; BROADLY it implies that one's subjective experience can be true, but that such experience is inherently limited by it failure to account for other truths or a totality of truth. This parable provides insight into the relativism opaqueness or inexpressible nature to truth, the behavior of experts in fields of contradicting theories, the need for deeper understanding, and respect for different perspective on the same object of observation.

Jacob Bernoulli was the first to observe that a MULTITUDE of observations are necessary to draw any long term conclusions on just about anything.
When I first read this parable in a buddhist book, there were 3 blind men describing the elephant. Then I read a James Baldwin short story, and the blind men had increased to 6. Now the group has grown to 9!

Could it be that life is getting more and more complicated with the passage of time?
Old 10-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #19
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
When I first read this parable in a buddhist book, there were 3 blind men describing the elephant. Then I read a James Baldwin short story, and the blind men had increased to 6. Now the group has grown to 9!

Could it be that life is getting more and more complicated with the passage of time?
Just more versions of the world's "truth". After all, truth is complicated.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Just more versions of the world's "truth". After all, truth is complicated.
How complicated can the "truth" be, if Jesus was preaching it to a group of illiterate fishermen?
Old 10-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #21
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post

RIGOROUS STATISTICAL ANALYSIS is only demanded for things that do not fit your narrative.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:
RIGOROUS STATISTICAL ANALYSIS is only demanded for things that do not fit your narrative.
PROFOUND!
Old 10-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #23
xtb

Quote:
So true!
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2021, 02:32 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Pretty much sums up the last, oh I don't know...19 months or so?
Old 10-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post

That's great
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #26
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
India designed their own their own Peer Reviewed Ivermectin Study looking at Health Care Workers. It was published on Aug 05, 2021 and reached a conclusion that is being completely ignored by policy makers here in the US:
https://www.cureus.com/articles/6480...thcare-workers

Two States in India, Uttar Pradesh and Kerala, acted on the conclusions of that study.

Uttar Pradesh population 241 million (est 2021) decided to continue using Ivermectin for prophylaxis and early treatment just like they had been doing since about May 11, 2021.

Imo, one of the more interesting things some of the States in India decided to do as part of their Test-Trace-Treat Program is hand out Home Medical Kits to people who tested positive as well as people identified through contact tracing as being at risk of infection.

[....................

But not all of the States in India decided to allow use of Ivermectin.

Kerala population 35.8 million (est 2021) disallowed use of Ivermectin for prophylaxis and early treatment on Aug 06, 2021 (the day after the peer reviewed study on Ivermectin was published.)

Comparing the Covid caseload data for Uttar Prashesh vs. Kerala:

According the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site - this is the current data for Uttar Padesh:
https://coronalevel.com/India/Uttar_Pradesh/

According the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site - this is the current data for Kerala:
https://coronalevel.com/India/Kerala/

Obviously health officials in Uttar Pradesh India have been going about this all wrong.
-jp
The John Hopkins graphs are only for the last few weeks or so. It would be more fair to compare the entire timelines for Uttar Prashesh vs. Kerala. Since India is the place where the delta variant originated, it would seem logical that the Indian states would have "gotten over" the delta peak quicker than anywhere else.

This graph shows https://science.thewire.in/covid19 that Uttar Prashesh has had 22,756 deaths vs. Kerala's 16,781. If your population estimates are correct, 10,600 deaths(Uttar Prashesh) vs. 16,783 deaths(Kerala), per million, still, a lot more for the non-ivermectin Kerala, but not as much as the Johns Hopkin's graphs would lead one to believe.

As far as where this Ivermectin saga will end, it's obvious that it(and HCQ) would have been helpful to a lot of people. I can understand why they disparaged HCQ (after all, defeating Donald Trump was far more important that saving thousands of lives), but their narrative for Ivermectin will be that:

1) More people would have died because they would not have gotten the vaccine thinking that they could always have taken Ivermectin if infected.

2)They knew that Ivermectin was effective, but it would have gutted the world's supply of Ivermectin, which for poor countries, was their only means of fighting the virus for many months.

#1 is hard to defend. It precludes that people are stupid and takes away their freedom of choice. #2 might be more defendable, although I have no idea what the state of world's supply chain for that drug is.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #27
classhandicapper

In case some of you missed this in the "coronavirus" thread, I posted this yesterday. This is a lifelong friend and family. They caught Covid from each other.

Again, I'm not anti vaccine. I'm vaccinated, but I'm close to certain the vaccine is not nearly as effective as they are suggesting, wildly inferior to the initial promises, and most likely more dangerous than they are letting on at this point.

Quote:
For those of you wondering how common breakthrough cases are, two of my friends, their daughter, & their aide all just caught Covid.

All were vaccinated.

One already had his booster.

Two of the four wound up in the hospital.

One is still in the hospital (over a week) and is on oxygen now.

I just texted with the one in the hospital. He's one of the toughest guys I've ever known. He told me it's the worst thing he's ever experienced. He's 63 and already had his booster, yet he got the worst case.

Not only is vaccination not a get out of jail free card, it's simply not very good after "x" months have passed.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #28
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
The John Hopkins graphs are only for the last few weeks or so.
The graphs displayed on the webpages I linked to were current as of the day (or the day before) each of my posts.

If you visit the page for Uttar Pradesh on the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site at the link below and hover your mouse over the right-most (or most recent) dot on the graph:

The most recent date on the graph is yesterday Monday October 11 2021.

According the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site - this is the current data for Uttar Padesh:
https://coronalevel.com/India/Uttar_Pradesh/

Quote:
Development of number of Coronavirus cases: Uttar Pradesh, India
In Uttar Pradesh there have been 1,709,965 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Currently about 200 people are sick, that is one in every 990,000 inhabitants.

The current incidence is 0.0 new cases per week per 100,000 inhabitants*.

Same for Kerala. If you visit the page on the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site at the link below and hover your mouse over the right-most (or most recent) dot on the graph:

According the Johns Hopkins University CSSE Site - this is the current data for Kerala:
https://coronalevel.com/India/Kerala/

Quote:
Development of number of Coronavirus cases: Kerala, India
In Kerala there have been 4,801,796 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Currently about 190,000 people are sick, that is one in every 180 inhabitants.

The current incidence is 217.7 new cases per week per 100,000 inhabitants*.
If you visit the page at the above link and hover your mouse over the right-most (or most recent) dot on the graph:

Quote:
Uttar Prashesh has had 22,756 deaths vs. Kerala's 16,781. If your population estimates are correct, 10,600 deaths(Uttar Prashesh) vs. 16,783 deaths(Kerala)...
Uttar Pradesh has higher population density than Kerala.

Link to a Wikipedia page listing the largest cities by population in Uttar Pradesh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Link to a Wikipedia listing the largest cities by population for Kerala:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Kerala#List

According to a study published on the NIH.gov site, population density matters.

Relationship between population density and COVID-19 incidence and mortality estimates: A county-level analysis:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8253654/

Quote:
Until January 27, 2021, SARS-CoV-2 has infected 134,556 patients and resulted in 2755 deaths in Sergipe. Currently, the state has the highest incidence (5854 cases per 100,000 inhabitants) and mortality (120 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants) rates of COVID-19 in the Northeast region. Incidence and mortality rates by county ranged from 965 to 10,130 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 inhabitants and 21 to 169 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, respectively. Thirty-two (42.7%) counties had less than 50 inhabitants/km2, 22 (29.8%) between 50–99 inhabitants/km2, and 21 (28.0%) a population density = 100 inhabitants/km2. We found a positive correlation between population density and incidence (rs = 0.326, CI 95% 0.106–0.514, p = 0.005; effect size = weak) (Fig. 1 A) and mortality (rs = 0.518, CI 95% 0.329–0.666, p < 0.001; effect size = moderate) (Fig. 1B) rates for COVID-19.

Quote:
As far as where this Ivermectin saga will end, it's obvious that it(and HCQ) would have been helpful to a lot of people. I can understand why they disparaged HCQ (after all, defeating Donald Trump was far more important that saving thousands of lives), but their narrative for Ivermectin will be that:

1) More people would have died because they would not have gotten the vaccine thinking that they could always have taken Ivermectin if infected.

2)They knew that Ivermectin was effective, but it would have gutted the world's supply of Ivermectin, which for poor countries, was their only means of fighting the virus for many months.

#1 is hard to defend. It precludes that people are stupid and takes away their freedom of choice. #2 might be more defendable, although I have no idea what the state of world's supply chain for that drug is.
I don't know where the Ivermectin saga ends either.

I do know that Vaccines had not yet been rolled out and were not widely available during India's Delta Variant surge back in May 2021.

Imo, Ivermectin and other repurposed drugs were pretty much all health officials in India had to work with.

The authors of the peer reviewed Ivermectin study using data for health care workers in India reached the following conclusion:

Quote:
Conclusion

Two doses of oral ivermectin (300 µg/kg/dose given 72 hours apart) as chemoprophylaxis among HCWs reduced the risk of COVID-19 infection by 83% in the following month. Safe, effective, and low-cost chemoprophylaxis has relevance in the containment of pandemic alongside vaccine.
Keep in mind that Vaccine Immunity fades over time.

Nature | 17 September 2021
COVID vaccine immunity is waning — how much does that matter?
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02532-4

Quote:
Six months ago, Miles Davenport and his colleagues made a bold prediction. On the basis of published results from vaccine trials and other data sources, they estimated that people immunized against COVID-19 would lose approximately half of their defensive antibodies every 108 days or so. As a result, vaccines that initially offered, say, 90% protection against mild cases of disease might only be 70% effective after 6 or 7 months 1.

“It felt a little bit out on a limb at the time,” says Davenport, a computational immunologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. But on the whole, his group’s predictions have come true.
I would argue the 83% reduction in risk cited in the Peer Reviewed Ivermectin Study actually stacks up pretty well compared to vaccine immunity when you consider:
  1. Vaccine immunity fades over time.

2. Ivermectin has proven to be one of the safer drugs in use over the past several decades.

3. The sheer number of cases reporting adverse side effects for the current vaccines in the VAERS database. (Many orders of magnitude higher than all other vaccines combined over the past 10-15 yrs.)

4. The lack of long term safety data about the current vaccines.

Someone of median age with minimal risk factors who became fully vaccinated 15 days ago would have a 90% or higher risk reduction against infection from the current vaccines.

But that same person six months after their most recent Covid vaccination likely only has a 70% risk reduction against infection from the current vaccines. (Thus the push for booster shots.)

Whereas, even six months or a year out - a person of the same median age and nearly identical risk factor profile using Ivermectin for prophylaxis likely continues to have an 83% risk reduction against infection. Plus zero risk for adverse side effects the vaccinated person is subjected to with each new dose or booster shot.

I would further argue that last part is not trivial.

Sorry for the long winded rant.

Somewhere out there in cyberspace RR (who hasn't posted in a while) has probably suffered another new thumb cramp.

Cheers,

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-12-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You Fauxci and Biden to shame. REAL information, not demobabble.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #30
trijet

https://www.indiatoday.in/coronaviru...306-2021-09-26

The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the National Task Force on Covid-19 have dropped the use of Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) drugs from their revised guidelines for the treatment of the infection.

The decision was taken after experts found that these drugs have little to no effect on Covid-related mortality or clinical recovery of the patient.
trijet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply