Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Donna Brothers: PETA is a Bully

Very much worth the read.

https://donnabrothers.com/2019/11/13/peta-is-a-bully/

People haven’t domesticated horses, dogs and cats, they’ve domesticated themselves. At some point along the evolutionary chain these once wild animals realized that living near and around homo sapiens could benefit them. As they got closer and closer to our bi-pedal species their food sources became more reliable and their living conditions became less volatile. And so these relationships have grown over the years and we’ve become closer to our animals and them to us. And now, after thousands of years of evolutionary development of these mutually beneficial interactions, PETA marches in insisting that this is all wrong? Well I beg to differ.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 11-14-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
clicknow

already posted
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...39#post2536039
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Sorry, but in my opinion Donna Brothers opinion deserves its own thread, not hidden in the middle of 400 plus comments.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
clicknow

Well, I disagree. I fail to see how regurgitating what has been said about PETA thousands of times is going to do anything to help "us" improve racing. (I'm not going to scan her every word to see how closely it matches the thousands of other articles that have been done on PETA).

What it might do is make people rest on their laurels, and for those who think racing is just fine the way it is (mostly people in the industry who are making a lot of $$ and see no reason to change the status quo) it might provide a target to blame everything on.

Explain to me how this article does anything to improve horse racing safety or anything else that needs to get done?

THe problems have already been pointed out in the big topic and elsewhere. None of the problems with racing are PETA's fault. So unless you think there aren't any problems, I just fail to see what this article *accomplishes*? Maybe you can explain that to me.

Everyone knows what PETA's agenda is. So how come we keep giving them stuff to shine their flashlights upon.........then "reacting" to it?

Last edited by clicknow; 11-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Well, I disagree. I fail to see how regurgitating what has been said about PETA thousands of times is going to do anything to help "us" improve racing. (I'm not going to scan her every word to see how closely it matches the thousands of other articles that have been done on PETA).

What it might do is make people rest on their laurels, and for those who think racing is just fine the way it is (mostly people in the industry who are making a lot of $$ and see no reason to change the status quo) it might provide a target to blame everything on.

Explain to me how this article does anything to improve horse racing safety or anything else that needs to get done?

My sincere apologies if the end to horse racing thread takes a back seat for a post or two about something positive.

Feel free to make that the top topic again here railing on the industry.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
My sincere apologies if the end to horse racing thread takes a back seat for a post or two about something positive.

Feel free to make that the top topic again here railing on the industry.
Positive? A screed against PETA (for the thousandth time) is *positive*?

It's a foregone conclusion that they don't care about animals. Next?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:

No worries. I get it.

Reading is hard.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
thaskalos

"If a horse does not want to race there is no amount of persuasion that will change that horse's mind"...Donna Brothers says. But she neglects to inform us of the reason why drugs like cobra venom and frog juice find their way into the game.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:

You seem really upset, in numerous threads, that some people may get some information about PETA that is negative. It's hard to imagine that you could possibly believe that EVERYONE is educated about PETA, especially given the obvious information to the contrary.

Congratulations that you know everything, apparently, that there is to know about PETA. That's awesome for you. You may be surprised to learn that there are many threads here where some posters know a great deal about the topics, yet they don't barge in constantly knocking people for engaging in said conversation because THEY are highly educated on the issue. Mostly, they either ignore it or attempt to add to it. Perhaps you should consider those options....that is assuming you don't have some other agenda.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #10
clicknow

Quote:
No worries. I get it.

Reading is hard.
Reading is unncessary when you've read the same thing 1,000,000 times for 20 years already. While watching a situation continue to descend into critical territory.

If racing thinks it's going to fix itself by having a PR battle, they are sorely mistaken. They've been trying that for decades already and it has not worked.

It's actions, not PR, that wins the day.

Thousands of "horse lovers" spamming facebook, twitter, instagram, and social media is not a solution. It a bandaid designed to effect *perceptual* change, but not actual change.

I guess for all those who think all the problems with the sport are purely perceptual, its acceptable.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
jimmyb

Quote:
Very much worth the read.

https://donnabrothers.com/2019/11/13/peta-is-a-bully/

People haven’t domesticated horses, dogs and cats, they’ve domesticated themselves. At some point along the evolutionary chain these once wild animals realized that living near and around homo sapiens could benefit them. As they got closer and closer to our bi-pedal species their food sources became more reliable and their living conditions became less volatile. And so these relationships have grown over the years and we’ve become closer to our animals and them to us. And now, after thousands of years of evolutionary development of these mutually beneficial interactions, PETA marches in insisting that this is all wrong? Well I beg to differ.
Thanks for posting this. I agree with Mostie, Donna's article deserves it's own thread.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #12
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Reading is unncessary when you've read the same thing 1,000,000 times for 20 years already. While watching a situation continue to descend into critical territory.

If racing thinks it's going to fix itself by having a PR battle, they are sorely mistaken. They've been trying that for decades already and it has not worked.

It's actions, not PR, that wins the day.

Thousands of "horse lovers" spamming facebook, twitter, instagram, and social media is not a solution. It a bandaid designed to effect *perceptual* change, but not actual change.

I guess for all those who think all the problems with the sport are purely perceptual, its acceptable.

That is your opinion. That doesn't give you the right to try and dominate the discussion. You aren't smarter than everybody else and need to educate us all.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Perhaps you should consider those options....that is assuming you don't have some other agenda.
My agenda is to listen to people who have solutions and who are willing to do the real work to get it done.

I was going to post earlier that the next stop on the panic train might be throwing avid racing fans (who invest monetarily, pyschologically, and emotionally) into this sport, under the bus, for suggesting some things in the sport need to change.

You just fulfilled that prophesy.

If your agenda is to beat up on people who think there are some serious changes needed in the sport that require swift ACTION, then I'm sorry that opinion offends you so much. I've just watched 3 friends who have been passionate racing fans leave the sport this year---they are old timers who taught me the ropes and I never predicted they might do that.

It truly saddens me that those pushing for the status quo have helped cause this to happen........my agenda is to make sure that racing doesn't end because I enjoy it so much.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
My agenda is to listen to people who have solutions and who are willing to do the real work to get it done.

I was going to post earlier that the next stop on the panic train might be throwing avid racing fans (who invest monetarily, pyschologically, and emotionally) into this sport, under the bus, for suggesting some things in the sport need to change.

If your agenda is to beat up on people who think there are some serious changes needed in the sport that require swift ACTION, then I'm sorry that opinion offends you so much. I've just watched 3 friends who have been passionate racing fans leave the sport this year---they are old timers who taught me the ropes and I never predicted they might do that.

It truly saddens me that those pushing for the status quo have helped cause this to happen........my agenda is to make sure that racing doesn't end because I enjoy it so much.
You and PETA....I guess you figured two bullies are better than one?

You're making an awful lot of accusations here given all that happened was that someone posted an article that they felt some of us might be interested in reading. Methinks someone doth protest too much.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #15
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:

Nobody is arguing status quo.

Nobody is arguing changes shouldn't be made.

At the same time you don't have to belittle everybody in the industry that doesn't think exactly like you.

Being brash, argumentative, and em-battling others to hate you isn't going to promote change.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 11-15-2019 at 12:25 AM.