Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
HOTY should be about who accomplished more, right?

Yes, Accelerate won 6 of 7, but his competition was Prime Attraction/Mubtahiij, Mubtahiij, Dr Dorr, Pavel, West Coast.

He lost to City of Light, who did dominate the Dirt Mile. Outside of the Classic, he really didn't beat much to be honest. I don't know. Still tough to win that many Graded Stakes races in the older male division. Never even came close to running even a B+ race all year. Brought his A game every time.

Tough call. Really tough call.
He beat a really good field today, so I don't think "who did he beat?" applies anymore.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
He beat a really good field today, so I don't think "who did he beat?" applies anymore.
Other than the winner, and I said this before the race, this field had no where near the quality of Gun Runner, Arrogate, California Chrome.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Other than the winner, and I said this before the race, this field had no where near the quality of Gun Runner, Arrogate, California Chrome.
It had the Travers winner, the PA Derby winner, the JCGC winner, the Woodward winner, and the DWC winner and runner up.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
It had the Travers winner, the PA Derby winner, the JCGC winner, the Woodward winner, and the DWC winner and runner up.
I dont think any of those horses help your argument at 10F and on dirt.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #20
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Inferior fields in every race...2018's crop of horses are way down on the scale this year in comparison, with the exception of Justify.....Accelerate versus Gun Runner?, you must be joking, proves my point how weak this year is.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #21
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Inferior fields in every race...2018's crop of horses are way down on the scale this year in comparison, with the exception of Justify.....Accelerate versus Gun Runner?, you must be joking, proves my point how weak this year is.

If West Coast was half the horse he used to be, maybe.

Gun Runner would have been 3/5 against this field. 4/5 tops. The Show pools for Arrogate and Chrome would have been insane.

Acclerate did everything that was asked of him. I definitely respect that. I think I'm leaning toward's Justify's Triple Crown run. That was crazy greatness good.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Best horse he beat was City of Light at 10F, which is beyond his scope, at 9f he was not the better horse of the two.

Accelerate had a tremendous year, no doubt, and if voters want to make statements about early retirements and the such so be it but they wont remember accelerate down the road, his accomplishment is nice, but happens many years (happened last year, and the year before) but Justify did things that were not ordinary, in any way. I am biased towards the horse but I think I can make logical arguments for both ways to vote.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #23
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
initial impression is that Justify would have romped in this race.
Oh good lord.

Just like McKenzie and West Coast?

Name one of Justify's crop that has gotten closer to beating older than Mendelssohn. You think Bravazzo would have been in the top 5 of the Classic? Gronkowski? Hofburg? Tenfold? Bolt D'Oro, Solomini? Good Magic? Audible? You think any of those horses could have run with Mendelssohn on the lead and not finished with McKinzie?

Justify never distanced himself in his races from his best competittion, that says it all. His peers are the only measure of his greatness available, and nothing suggests he would have been remotely anywhere close to winning today.

Justify doesn't get the magical woulda. He gets his 4 months and 6 wins, 2 of which were MSW and Allw. Only one 3 yo has shown any hint of being able to hang with older horses, and that horse wasn't really one of his peers, and happens to be a very young 3yo (maybe at 9f he'd be able to hold on, we'll never know).

The TC is a farce, a circus for people who don't follow the sport. The BC is where the real racing happens. The TC is also as John Nerud said, a meat grinder that ruins horses.

Justify just exposed that.

If HOY wasn't really in play, Justify's biggest fanboy, Haskin, wouldn't have dedicated a column on why Accelerate deserves it if he wins the BCC...which he did.

He'll get 3yoOY, but people will be ho hum about it, like they were when Chrome got it.

The horse that won the day today is AP.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not long ago, the TC was ridiculous- it was impossible to win, it had to be changed, we needed more time between races.......now we are overvaluing it.

When Accelerate wins three races in 5 weeks, he can be horse of the year.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not long ago, the TC was ridiculous- it was impossible to win, it had to be changed, we needed more time between races.......now we are overvaluing it.

When Accelerate wins three races in 5 weeks, he can be horse of the year.
We actually always overvalued it, when it was "impossible" to win and now.

A TC is just a 5 week parlor trick and is only as good as the 3 year old crop. It's not the same as having a career.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
We actually always overvalued it, when it was "impossible" to win and now.

A TC is just a 5 week parlor trick and is only as good as the 3 year old crop. It's not the same as having a career.
apples and oranges, so justify is should be dinged for not racing as an older horse?

its the only parlor trick most people care about, but again its just a trick.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No, it is not 5 weeks.
Next years TC is ALREADY being talked about.

The spring through June is all TC season.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
apples and oranges, so justify is should be dinged for not racing as an older horse?

its the only parlor trick most people care about, but again its just a trick.
Absolutely.

It's like hitting for the cycle in baseball. It is amazing, hard to do, and isn't a career.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #29
fiznow

As any horse who raced in the USA can become horse of the year it should go to Enable imo.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
No, it is not 5 weeks.
Next years TC is ALREADY being talked about.

The spring through June is all TC season.
Good point.

Came to check on this thread, and see that it's now buried because Andy Asaro decided to once again start a new thread on an existing topic.

I do have to give Asaro credit for self-restraint, as he only pimped 8 'tweets' into that thread (thus far, at the time of this posting).

No time to dwell on trivial stuff, but thought it a slightly annoying trend.

Anyway, Justify is Bo Jackson, and Accelerate is Emmitt Smith. /football fans

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-04-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply