Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
orrug2k
Veteran

I love the pick all. I have hit it many times and just missed a single ticket for 30k, Lots of times I have it multiple times because my horses are in the exacta. It pays a grand when you think its gonna pay 200. 20% takeout over10 races would be something like 2 percent for the whole day. I go thru and key gomez and espinosa on all thier mounts first then play around them. They get live longshots which can explode the payoff. Watch how often one of them is first or second each race. With the new kid now, hes going to get some longshots.
orrug2k is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
Vinman

Del Mar Place Pick All Wager

Since Del Mar is opening today as the only major track now offering the Place Pick All wager, I thought it might be a good idea to give this long dormant thread a bump to elicit some helpful hints on playing it.

It's been quite a long time since I last played it. Hawthorne had a 20 cent version a few years ago but they did away with it. Del Mar's buck minimum is a bit steep if you're looking to include, for example, all the firsters on today' Dmr card.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this wager....mostly hate.....lol. I once came to the conclusion that the Place Pick All is the biggest sucker bet ever to come down the pike. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Would love to hear any opinions on this wager, including any "thrill of victory" or "agony of defeat" war stories. Even better.....any "best practices" in approaching it, including minimum or maximum bets, what to do about firsters, depth of coverage in sprints vs turf routes, when to single, etc

Let the games begin!

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
Since Del Mar is opening today as the only major track now offering the Place Pick All wager, I thought it might be a good idea to give this long dormant thread a bump to elicit some helpful hints on playing it.

It's been quite a long time since I last played it. Hawthorne had a 20 cent version a few years ago but they did away with it. Del Mar's buck minimum is a bit steep if you're looking to include, for example, all the firsters on today' Dmr card.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this wager....mostly hate.....lol. I once came to the conclusion that the Place Pick All is the biggest sucker bet ever to come down the pike. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Would love to hear any opinions on this wager, including any "thrill of victory" or "agony of defeat" war stories. Even better.....any "best practices" in approaching it, including minimum or maximum bets, what to do about firsters, depth of coverage in sprints vs turf routes, when to single, etc

Let the games begin!

Vinman

Interesting.

I haven't looked at this wager in a long time. Have to re-learn the bet rules.

Any idea what the takeout is?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #19
Vinman

There were two single ticket payouts during the 2018 Dmr summer meet, $29,210.40 in a pool of $38,240 on opening day, 7/18 and $24,093.40 in a pool of $31,572 on 7/26. Dividing the payout by the pool produces a takeout figure of .2368 in both cases.

Here's another number.....$4,863 is the average payout for this wager for the 50 racecards comprising the 2017 Fall and 2018 Summer meets at Dmr.

9 of the top 10 payoffs came during the 2018 Summer meet. Big dropoff from the 10th highest of $12,111.70 on 8/25/18 to 11th of $6,998.10 on 11/17/17.

The 10 lowest payoffs ranged from $192 to $379.50. Three of the lowest four were for 7 of 8 correct. One was for having 8 of 9 correct.

In 6 of 27 eight race cards, the payoff was for 7 of 8.

In 7 of 15 nine race cards, the payoff was for 8 of 9. One other was for 7 of 9....$413.

In 4 of 11 ten race cards, the payoff was for 9 of 10,

The aforementioned $24,093.40 payoff occurred on an 8 race card. The opening day $29,210.40 gem was a 10 for 10.

Vinman

Last edited by Vinman; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Vinman

For last year's Fall Dmr meet only, the average Place Pick All payoff was $2,882. Remove the top two payoffs of $17,095.60 on 11/24 and $6,998.10 on 11/17 and the average payoff for the Fall meet dips to $1,355.

The other "PPA" payoffs for the Dmr fall meet that exceeded 4 figures:

$3,406 on 11/11
$3,114.70 on 11/26
$2,929.20 on 11/19
$2,951.50 on 11/23

Next two highest were $867 & $857. The remaining 6 payoffs for Fall 2017 ranged from $450.20 down to $216.10.

Vinman
Old 11-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

When constructing a ticket for the $1 Place Pick-all, I find only 8 race cards to be doable for a $64 investment. This requires to 2 singles and the rest are doubles. Due to the unique aspect of the marine layer having an impact on the bias of the racing surface, I find picking the best early speed and the best closer for my doubles. That way, you're always in the hunt, no matter when the marine layer burns off or stays all day.....BTW, the less turf races, the better.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
Vinman

Today's opening day "PPA" payoff came back $2,172.50 for 7 of 8. Any live ticket going into the finale got fried when 3/5 'single' Norwegian started backing up turning for home, which Trevor, as usual, picked up on before it became obvious.

Vinman
Old 11-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post

Let the games begin!

Vinman

Back in my Prime Betting years, I loved this wager. In the late 90's and early 2000's I concentrated on So Cal daily. I did have the only ticket once, a $64 play, that paid about 26K. I should start to try again, especially when I get Dq'd from 1st to 2nd (#4 Excellent Sunset) like in the 7th race on Opening Day at Del Mar 11-9.

RR

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: