Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Remington Park Plans To Report Horse Weights

Per BloodHorse reported today.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-horse-weights

Quote:
... Wells said it's simple information to collect and provides handicappers an extra tool while giving interesting information to new fans.

"It's one of the keys to transparency," Wells said. "Secondly it's a very important handicapping factor. And finally it's something that even novices can relate to." ...
I'm now convinced "people in the industry" do read the posts on this website. Good for Remington Park for taking the lead. And, there really shouldn't be any resistance for other tracks to follow since, after all "it's simple information to collect" which we've wondered about on here.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Per BloodHorse reported today.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-horse-weights

I'm now convinced "people in the industry" do read the posts on this website. Good for Remington Park for taking the lead. And, there really shouldn't be any resistance for other tracks to follow since, after all "it's simple information to collect" which we've wondered about on here.
Hats off to Remington; a small step for the industry, but a giant step for the bettor.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Cratos, I was thinking of you when I read the article.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
schweitz

Remington was doing this back in the 90s. I guess they stopped some point.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #5
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Hats off to Remington; a small step for the industry, but a giant step for the bettor.
this is no small step, its a giant one. i guarantee this will add at least 25% to the handle next year.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

I know the physiology of a dog and a horse are different, but doesn't greyhound racing report weights? When the greyhound's weight moves up or down, are there predictable performance changes? Maybe it's a bad analogy.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
this is no small step, its a giant one. i guarantee this will add at least 25% to the handle next year.
I'd take that bet, no way it adds 25%.

That said, glad it will be available.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

So, the horses will step on a scale in the pre race and that weight will be displayed somehow?
I suppose players can then compare the weight to pasr races, if they've been keeping records, but what about horses who ran at a different track in their last race? Aren't weights useless without access to past weights?
This will be good when other tracks follow suit, but I doubt many will.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Cratos

Quote:
I didn't make myself clear; the "small step" was referring to Remington being a small racetrack and the impact to the industry overall will not have the same impact as if NYRA had made such decision.

However I agree with you that the bettor will benefit and the handle at Remington should see an increase.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Cratos, I was thinking of you when I read the article.
I read it yesterday, and thought immediately of Cratos (although I was also thinking of myself, too, if it ever becomes widely distributed in the proper formats).

Unfortunately, other tracks will have to incorporate it, and Equibase will have to cooperate to make it available to the various data vendors, and then the vendors will have to cooperate and make it available in their products, and unless you want to do the calculations manually (for the various performance/energy/form analysis functions) , data files must be available.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Next year?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'd take that bet, no way it adds 25%.

That said, glad it will be available.
with them dealing mostly to simulcast, having a wide verity of claiming races and running at night, it should add something by that move. there will be more claiming and that usually adds to handle.

in my opinion it will do more for handle than raising purses.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

The real value will only be realized after each horse racing has several past race weights available. Without past weights available, the value is minimal, if at all.

A big hit would happen if each horse was weighed before every workout and before each race! Now, that would be valuable info!!

Last edited by raybo; 12-19-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Like Trakus, this will be very limited in number of tracks and acceptable distribution of the data will be even more limited.

It will end up being a bit of information you can use when you play Remington.
Sliced bread is safe.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Like Trakus, this will be very limited in number of tracks and acceptable distribution of the data will be even more limited.

It will end up being a bit of information you can use when you play Remington.
Sliced bread is safe.
I agree, the entire industry will have to get behind this before it has any chance of impacting us significantly as handicappers. This is a factor that should have been available to the general racing public decades ago. There's no excuse for it not already being available. They weigh the jocks, pre-race and post-race, and people use that data frequently, but with the horse's current health status in question constantly, in the minds of handicappers, it never entered the industry's mindset at all? Ridiculous!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: