Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
FlintAtTheFetlock

Visiting Monmouth First Time

Hello,

I'm heading down next weekend to Jersey Shore to check out Monmouth for the first time. I was wondering if you have any tips to share like best areas to hang out, parking, good local eats, best and nearest beach, etc. I also wonder if you can bring a cooler and beer in like Saratoga? How about picnic areas? If I bring a canvas chair and blanket are there grassy areas to spread out?

As you may be able to tell I am very excited about this trip. Much appreciated any recommendations. Feel free to private message me if prefer.

chasing the bone, flies at the nostrils plunder
- IA @1978
FlintAtTheFetlock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
charm city whizz

Having trouble pulling it up but if you can find the opening weeknd at monmouth thresd there was about 2 Pages about MTH and where people liked

Mth pretty much has everything saratoga has if you go on the apron you will see tons of coolers you can sit in the backyard and there are Grassy areas to set up shop, tons of good beaches and local places to eat though I don't have a food recommendation as I really never ate there after races

The picnic area is first come first serve I do believe and there's plenty of benches on apron, bringing one of those beach chairs and sitting outside doors of Apron is as solid as a move you can make

If it's your time time here I think you'll be impressed
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
RunForTheRoses

There is a picnic area where you can bring in a cooler. Other places I believe are off limits.
For beach, Belmar can have some nice scenery if that's what your looking for. Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights may be interesting to you- PP more idk adult/refined SH younger more raucus.

Zachary's is a fairly good local place but again not exactly sure what your looking for. Check Yelp.
Have a good time, it's a nice track to visit.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
dilanesp

Have the clam chowder at the track. Best racetrack food I gave ever had.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The pizza in the grandstand is great for curing a hangover, went down that road way too many times in my Air Force days at McGuire AFB.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
MonmouthParkJoe

Cooler size restrictions put in place this year. Can be no longer than 30 inches by 15 inches wide. They have signs up but I havent seen them checking. Bottled or canned beer is allowed, you can bring in any food you like.

Fathers day is one of the busiest every year, its a zoo. If you go Sunday get there well before 1130 when the gates open if you want a picnic table in back yard. The ones by the outside bathroom are great, they provide cover if it is hot out under the trees and you are close to the bathroom. Or, bring a camping chair and sit under the overhang by the finish line. Parking is $5 by the track, I think admission is $5 as well. Take some time to walk around and see everything, it really is beautiful. Enjoy the summer wind!

And Red Bank is very close and has some nice restaurants and bars. Seaside has plenty of bars on the boardwalk if you have never been. I agree with the younger raucous crowd there, but worth going if it is your first time
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The pizza in the grandstand is great for curing a hangover, went down that road way too many times in my Air Force days at McGuire AFB.
You were stationed at McGuire? I knew a couple airmen when I worked a part time job at great adventure.
One year my geographically dispersed family met at a motel right by McGuire, right behind the barbecue place. We were awakened by reveille (?) early early. It was actually kind of cool.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 06-10-2016 at 07:22 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Rutgers

I know you're not going to Monmouth Park until next week, but I feel obligated to mention tomorrow at Monmouth Park is Scarlet Knights Saturday. Free admission with Rutgers gear, and the Scarlet Knight himself will be there!!
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers
I know you're not going to Monmouth Park until next week, but I feel obligated to mention tomorrow at Monmouth Park is Scarlet Knights Saturday. Free admission with Rutgers gear, and the Scarlet Knight himself will be there!!
Yea Rutgers!!!!! Everyday I wish i was back in my undergrad years there. I will be at the Belmont tomorrow, but there in spirit!
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintAtTheFetlock
Hello,

I'm heading down next weekend to Jersey Shore to check out Monmouth for the first time. I was wondering if you have any tips to share like best areas to hang out, parking, good local eats, best and nearest beach, etc. I also wonder if you can bring a cooler and beer in like Saratoga? How about picnic areas? If I bring a canvas chair and blanket are there grassy areas to spread out?

As you may be able to tell I am very excited about this trip. Much appreciated any recommendations. Feel free to private message me if prefer.
Flint the options Down the Shore for eats, beaches, bars, etc vary widely in terms of character, quality and cost. Do you know where you are staying (if you are staying overnight)? I live about 1 mile from Monmouth and can help you out.

Parking at the track is not an issue ($5). The chair will serve you well. As Joe notes Father's Day can be busy, but Monmouth is a big track and there is plenty of room. Try the area Joe mentioned (he used to camp out there every weekend), or you can go behind the grandstand where there is room sun or shade and a band, plus a short walk to the Walking Ring. The picnic area runs along the length of the stretch rather than in the backyard. There is a small area out back.

Cooler is fine. They designate areas but I don't see it heavily enforced. You can also set up a base camp in the designated area, then walk around with an open container nobody cares. It's about a carefree of an environment you can find- nobody bothers you there about anything really. It's fantastic.

Was just there today running a work event and had a great time. Got buried but didn't matter had a great time as always. You are rightfully excited about the trip.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by charm city whizz
bringing one of those beach chairs and sitting outside doors of Apron is as solid as a move you can make
Very true, especially if rain threatening or you like playing the Belmont simulcasts. Whizz not sure if you are aware but they put a bar in across from the 1/16 pole. It is tucked under the Grandstand eaves. Great idea. I like sitting just outside of there in my chair, then going in to watch simulcasts on the big TVs in the bar, and watching the races live from that spot. Easy walk to the paddock from there too. Even if you set up camp near the highest row of benches you have easy access, and you start getting shade around 1:30 even this time of year (grandstand faces East to catch the ocean breezes).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses
You were stationed at McGuire? I knew a couple airmen when I worked a part time job at great adventure.
One year my geographically dispersed family met at a motel right by McGuire, right behind the barbecue place. We were awakened by reveille (?) early early. It was actually kind of cool.
Yep, 1985 to 1995. I used to work the night shift whenever possible as an AC mechanic so I could get to Monmouth in the summer. I usually had to leave after the 6th or so to get to work on time. Also made many trips to Garden State and Philly Park and Freehold too! New Jersey was simulcast heaven back in the days when most tracks weren't like that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
FlintAtTheFetlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
Flint the options Down the Shore for eats, beaches, bars, etc vary widely in terms of character, quality and cost. Do you know where you are staying (if you are staying overnight)? I live about 1 mile from Monmouth and can help you out.

Parking at the track is not an issue ($5). The chair will serve you well. As Joe notes Father's Day can be busy, but Monmouth is a big track and there is plenty of room. Try the area Joe mentioned (he used to camp out there every weekend), or you can go behind the grandstand where there is room sun or shade and a band, plus a short walk to the Walking Ring. The picnic area runs along the length of the stretch rather than in the backyard. There is a small area out back.

Cooler is fine. They designate areas but I don't see it heavily enforced. You can also set up a base camp in the designated area, then walk around with an open container nobody cares. It's about a carefree of an environment you can find- nobody bothers you there about anything really. It's fantastic.

Was just there today running a work event and had a great time. Got buried but didn't matter had a great time as always. You are rightfully excited about the trip.
Thanks for the great info. Yep, I'm staying overnight FRI and maybe SAT if doing well. Hotel very close in W. Long Branch. FRI is my main day at the track and back to Boston for Father's Day. I'll have a small cooler and a chair (great news you can carry canned beer around). Now that I think about it I may set up near the paddock or wherever they parade the horses. I may try paddock picking with a separate pile of money just to see if I have any talent there. Don't know why I would having never been around horses before, but I can at least eliminate the agitated angry ones acting up. A Happy Horse is a winning horse they say.

Pizza sounds good, and will keep in mind the chowder (if its not too hot out).

I want to go to a beach Saturday morning to do some capping and perhaps spend the day if bankroll toast. Prefer quite over rowdy. Also looking for great fried clams strips.

Cheers.

chasing the bone, flies at the nostrils plunder
- IA @1978
FlintAtTheFetlock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
charm city whizz

Looking forward to the trip report....

Think the bottom line is monmouth means a lot to a lot of people on this board, give me monmouth over saratoga any day of week, some may think Im crazy but MTH is just a hidden gem in racing
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintAtTheFetlock
Hello,

One place to get some quick grub is the Jersey Freeze in Freehold..It's at the junction of Rtes 9 and 33. Now I have not been there in quite a while, the reviews are good.
The soft ice cream is delish!!!!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply