Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #106
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfman View Post
I certainly believe that is possible. Sort of the same as how back when online poker was legal in all states, there were hackers cheating then.
One thing that is worth knowing from the experience of online poker:

Yes, there definitely was cheating in online poker. There was Russ Hamilton and his buddies at Ultimate Bet. There was Stox with his multiple accounts. There was Furbean and his collusion scam. There were the bots, allegedly from China.

All these things went on. They probably still go on.

HOWEVER, this coexisted with another fact: 99 percent of all online poker cheating allegations were false. People would constantly say that online poker was rigged, and use as their examples stuff that happens all the time in live poker too.

I think this should inform people's analysis about what goes on in horse racing. Yes, there are betting coups. Yes, there have been some scandals and hacks. And yes, it wouldn't shock me if it turned out someone was past posting.

But it's also true that the vast majority of the time, the betting is going to be honest and what you are seeing is just computer lags or whatever.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #107
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Horse racing - for people who just don't get enough pain!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #108
PressThePace

Just watched a race at Belterra. Horse was 7/2 after gates open. Turning for home, he was 7/1. No other horse was hammered late.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #109
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
Just watched a race at Belterra. Horse was 7/2 after gates open. Turning for home, he was 7/1. No other horse was hammered late.
Not true; the went from 2-1 with the last horse loading to 3-5 during the race.

By the way, neither horse won (the 7-2 to 7-1 horse finished 3rd, the 2-1 to 3-5 horse finished 2nd).
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #110
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Not true; the went from 2-1 with the last horse loading to 3-5 during the race.

By the way, neither horse won (the 7-2 to 7-1 horse finished 3rd, the 2-1 to 3-5 horse finished 2nd).
Thank you, I stand corrected. I thought the was even money went the gates opened. I didn't bet either horse, but annoying nonetheless
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #111
SG4

This sounds crazy. If the bomb longshot wasn't in the 2nd leg I'd say this had all the hallmarks of the fix-six scandal all over again.

https://live.drf.com/nuggets/51020-pick-six-curiosity
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #112
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
This sounds crazy. If the bomb longshot wasn't in the 2nd leg I'd say this had all the hallmarks of the fix-six scandal all over again.

https://live.drf.com/nuggets/51020-pick-six-curiosity
Why?

He/she bet almost $30k into the wager...when's the last time you did that?
Old 07-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #113
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why?

He/she bet almost $30k into the wager...when's the last time you did that?

Are you asking why this sounds crazy or why this was reminiscent of the fix six?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #114
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm asking why anyone would see "something" in this result given the relatively large total invested in this particular bet.

Why would any thought of possible skulduggery cross a person's mind?

It's so weird how over on off-topic I'm called a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy king, but here in racing I seem to never buy into alternative notions.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-28-2020 at 01:09 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #115
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Are you asking why this sounds crazy or why this was reminiscent of the fix six?
There is absolutely nothing even remotely similar to this situation and what happened in the BC Pick-6 scandal. This is how the CAW players put in their Pick-6 wagers....each combination individually for different amounts. There is NOTHING unusual about this particular play.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #116
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
There is absolutely nothing even remotely similar to this situation and what happened in the BC Pick-6 scandal. This is how the CAW players put in their Pick-6 wagers....each combination individually for different amounts. There is NOTHING unusual about this particular play.
I dont think people are at all familiar with how CAW players put in tickets.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #117
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Gotta agree here. It is possible to merge tickets to increase the speed at which you get bets down, but for faster sites, like AmWager, you can get thousands of bets through really quickly. There's nothing suspicious about what this person or team did imo.

There's also risk that a scratched runner in a ticket can invalidate the whole ticket, even if it contains a combination that does not include the scratched runner. This has happened to me in the past, causing me to miss a decent payoff on a superfecta. Because of that, I don't merge tickets that I send through faster ADWs, while still merging for slower ADWs.

By merging I mean, start with all single combination tickets, and group them by those with the same bet amount. Then for each group, start combining them where possible. E.g if I want to bet $2 on 1/2/3 and 1/2/4 trifectas, for slower ADWs I'll merge them to 1/2/(3,4). As far as I know, there isn't an efficient solution to that problem, so I just brute force it.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #118
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that if you're solving for bet sizes using something like the kelly criterion or maximizing expected profit, and you're solving such that you're considering all dependent bets together, you will see suggested bets on combinations with negative edge that can include bombs. In a way, it's hedging against bets on other combinations.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #119
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
merging tickets...
kelly criterion...

yup

and with the 'jackpot' rules, there's a built-in incentive to separating tickets that contain unpopular outcomes (long shots).

interesting winning ticket(s).

part that is new to me = Rule change/evolution to designate 'single ticket' vs. 'minimum denomination'.

I could be misremembering, but I thought that was at one time a topic of debate, and had even been a controversial decision to withhold a jackpot from a single-ticket-winner at least once. (someone was the 'only winner' but bet for more than the minimum denomination?)

Hopefully that is a universal rule now at major tracks. I feel it significantly improves the rule.

back to JerryBoyle/kelly Criterion etc.../ 'math guys' ... Seems like an interesting 'equation' including all of the factors.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-28-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #120
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
yup

part that is new to me = Rule change/evolution to designate 'single ticket' vs. 'minimum denomination'.
Yeah, in my opinion, it should be phrased such that the jackpot is triggered when there's a sole owner of a single combination, regardless of whether the combo is merged w another combo, or whether there's more than the minimum bet on the combo. Even if you bet the same combo twice, if you're the sole owner of a ticket(s) with the combo, you should get the jackpot. That seems to be in the spirit of it, and it makes the math easier .

As for the equation for kelly, considering all dependent outcomes and their impact on payoff, it's fairly straightforward:

N = number of combinations
W = total money bet into the pool prior to proposed bets
Q = 1 - track take
w_i = current money bet on combination i
b_i = proposed bet on combination i
p_i = model's estimate of combination i winning
I = starting bankroll
r = rebate % for the type of pool

The equation gives the expected change in logarithmic wealth for a given set of bets. You'd then maximize that equation with respect to a series of bets. Solving it simply in python using scipy's minimize function is easy. However, solving it quickly for large pools is not trivial. In my experience, more complex solutions are required for anything more exotic than the exacta/daily double pools.

I should note that the equation is presented in a paper in Efficiency of Racetrack Betting Markets titled "Concavity Properties of Racetrack Betting Models" by J.G. Kallberg and W.T. Ziemba. I only modified it to include rebates.

Last edited by JerryBoyle; 07-28-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: ref