Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
horses4courses

Scottish referendum

Interesting how all the media is building this up as a close vote.
The bookies over there rate the chances of Scotland breaking
away from the UK at less than 25%. You can get at least 7-2.

Saw a poll on NBC news last night that said it's around 52-48%.
I trust the bookies more
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
GaryG
Unreconstructed

This is a very emotional issue and many will vote with their hearts instead of their heads. Culloden Moor and Cumberland the butcher will not be forgotten. Interesting that the Jacobites had the support of French and Irish troops. If it passes there could be intensified feelings between the Irish and Ulster.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
This is a very emotional issue and many will vote with their hearts instead of their heads. Culloden Moor and Cumberland the butcher will not be forgotten. Interesting that the Jacobites had the support of French and Irish troops. If it passes there could be intensified feelings between the Irish and Ulster.
True, but.....

The UK would have loved to have cut the ties with Ulster half a century ago.
Won't happen in our lifetime.

The only conceivable way that Ulster would ever aspire to uniting the island
is if the Republic became a strong economic power.
They actually came pretty close in the early 2000s with the growth of dotcom.
This did not hurt the peace process by any means, either. Then the bubble burst.

Last edited by horses4courses; 09-18-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
. Then the bubble burst.
Oh, so Blame Bush!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Oh, so Blame Bush!
Haha
Nope.
Can't pin this one on W.

Bankers?
Now, you're talkin....
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
NJ Stinks

I'm not sure what I'm hoping with today's vote in Scotland. I read an interesting article in the NY Post on Sunday by a Scottish guy who is voting yes to independence from the UK. I'll highlight some interesting stuff (to me, anyway) from the article down below and then post the link to the entire article.

The trouble for many Scots — and this gets to the heart of why so many want independence — is that those values rarely seem to guide the governments we get lumbered with in London. In national, UK-wide elections, the Scots consistently vote for left-of-center policies, but very often (about half the time) we end up with right-wing governments in London. Scots have never forgotten how Margaret Thatcher imposed unpopular right-wing policies on Scotland for 12 years as prime minister.

When Labor’s Tony Blair became prime minister in 1997, he was at first immensely popular in Scotland — but then was seen to follow Thatcherite economic policies, and even worse, followed George W. Bush into a disastrous and illegal war in Iraq. It was he who gave Scotland its own parliament, with limited powers, but that only whetted the appetite for more.

Now we have a London government led by David Cameron, whose Conservative Party has only one MP (out of 59) in Scotland. Like Thatcher, he has imposed taxes that are universally detested here. Cameron did not dare to make a public appearance in Scotland during the referendum campaign. Never before has the rift between Scotland and the London “elite” seemed so wide.

For more and more of us, the only solution to this perennial problem is to take all power into our own hands — to have the right to elect a parliament and a government that will run the country as we ourselves choose. We look at small, highly successful countries like Denmark or Sweden and think, we would rather be like them — and could be.

Link: http://nypost.com/2014/09/13/why-i-w...dent-scotland/
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Now we have a London government led by David Cameron, whose Conservative Party...... has imposed taxes that are universally detested here.
You have to love this guy, right?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
DJofSD
Screw PC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-29238890
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Culloden Moor and Cumberland the butcher will not be forgotten.
A battle fought in 1746 will be an influence in the voting? The Scots must have very, very long memories.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
reckless
Veteran

This vote may have more world-wide significance than meets the eye.

What is not getting full, unbiased coverage are two very significant reasons for this separation movement in the first place.

1--Scotland feels that their way of life, sovereignty, economic well being are being dictated by Great Britain, and London (the House of Commons) most definitely doesn't have their interests at heart.

It's no different, but not as extreme, obviously, here in the USA where Wash DC is far far FAR removed from what the citizens in the states want.

The Scots believe they contribute more money economically to the UK than what they receive in return. Who hasn't heard that kind of argument here as well?

2--I have read where a number of banks and financial institutions have threatened to leave Scotland if there is a 'yes' vote. What doesn't get discussed much is that many Scots feel that the financial problems there and throughout the UK can be blamed on those same banks and financial institutions that threaten to leave Scotland!

The other under reported aspect in this story is the threat that without the UK, Scotland's economy crumbles and that Scotland needs GB and the entire UK to survive. This may not be necessarily be so since Britain depends on the other UK countries for their economic survival more so than you think, with most of GB's good and services sold to Scotland and the other UK nations.

I am all for a YES vote tonight, if for nothing else than to stick it to GB and to that silly, ineffective weakling, David Cameron. I predict a Yes vote spells doom for Cameron personally, and the Tories in general.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
This vote may have more world-wide significance than meets the eye.

What is not getting full, unbiased coverage are two very significant reasons for this separation movement in the first place.

1--Scotland feels that their way of life, sovereignty, economic well being are being dictated by Great Britain, and London (the House of Commons) most definitely doesn't have their interests at heart.

It's no different, but not as extreme, obviously, here in the USA where Wash DC is far far FAR removed from what the citizens in the states want.

The Scots believe they contribute more money economically to the UK than what they receive in return. Who hasn't heard that kind of argument here as well?

2--I have read where a number of banks and financial institutions have threatened to leave Scotland if there is a 'yes' vote. What doesn't get discussed much is that many Scots feel that the financial problems there and throughout the UK can be blamed on those same banks and financial institutions that threaten to leave Scotland!

The other under reported aspect in this story is the threat that without the UK, Scotland's economy crumbles and that Scotland needs GB and the entire UK to survive. This may not be necessarily be so since Britain depends on the other UK countries for their economic survival more so than you think, with most of GB's good and services sold to Scotland and the other UK nations.

I am all for a YES vote tonight, if for nothing else than to stick it to GB and to that silly, ineffective weakling, David Cameron. I predict a Yes vote spells doom for Cameron personally, and the Tories in general.
Nose, meet face.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Nose, meet face.
I am not sure what you actually mean by your above quote but I'll assume it wasn't meant to compliment me on my post

What do you mean DJ??
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
I am not sure what you actually mean by your above quote but I'll assume it wasn't meant to compliment me on my post

What do you mean DJ??
Why do you take it personally?

If the citizens of Scotland vote to leave the United Kingdom they will be cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
If the citizens of Scotland vote to leave the United Kingdom they will be cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Aye!

There's a reasonable chance that they will break away.
Allowing 16 and 17 year olds a vote in this matter borders on madness.
Many youths are idealists and will likely vote Yes.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
ArlJim78

I don't think it'll happen, but I'm pulling for a YES vote.
Come on Scotland, let's do this!
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply