Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,264
Rep Power: 8 VigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura aboutVigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura about
Oaklawn's Show Bet Bonus

"For the second straight year, Oaklawn will be offering the Show Bet Bonus, which makes the easiest wager in racing more profitable and fun for on-track guests only. With this bet, the payoff on show wagers made at Oaklawn will be higher than the payoff on the same show wager made off-track or through ADW services."

So does Oaklawn pump in extra money of their own or do on-track show wagers cannibalize off-site show wagers in order to do this...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
AltonKelsey
Registered User
 
AltonKelsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,320
Rep Power: 4 AltonKelsey will become famous soon enough
I'd think they would simply have a lower takeout on the wager on track, which you could call 'pumping it in', or better yet, not pumping it out

All tracks should do this for all wagers.

They would make up the diff in hot dog sales and parking

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 01-09-2018 at 04:35 PM.
AltonKelsey is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
AndyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,806
Rep Power: 10 AndyC has a spectacular aura aboutAndyC has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I'd think they would simply have a lower takeout on the wager on track, which you could call 'pumping it in', or better yet, not pumping it out

All tracks should do this for all wagers.

They would make up the diff in hot dog sales and parking
I sincerely doubt that such a promotion would have any effect on either attendance or handle. The primary beneficiaries would be people who are at the track everyday because they work there, own horses, train horses, or just hang out at the track. I don't think that there are too many horseplayers thinking "gosh, if I could just get a 2-5% bonus on my payoffs I would make the trip to the track".
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,509
Rep Power: 13 green80 is on a distinguished road
Oaklawn increases on track show payouts by reducing their take in the on track show pool. If you compare the payouts it make a nice difference. Oaklawn management says that last year their show handle shows and increase because of this. They also say the overall attendance and handle shows an increase for whatever reason.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,264
Rep Power: 8 VigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura aboutVigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I'd think they would simply have a lower takeout on the wager on track, which you could call 'pumping it in', or better yet, not pumping it out

All tracks should do this for all wagers.

They would make up the diff in hot dog sales and parking
Excellent point...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
lamboguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston+Ocala
Posts: 18,361
Rep Power: 31 lamboguy has a spectacular aura aboutlamboguy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Oaklawn increases on track show payouts by reducing their take in the on track show pool. If you compare the payouts it make a nice difference. Oaklawn management says that last year their show handle shows and increase because of this. They also say the overall attendance and handle shows an increase for whatever reason.
some races you get an extra .20 from the reduced takeout and sometimes the reduced takeout brings back another .20 from the breakage. if you are betting show, you are much better off betting at Oaklawn than betting at home with a rebate.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,264
Rep Power: 8 VigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura aboutVigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I sincerely doubt that such a promotion would have any effect on either attendance or handle. The primary beneficiaries would be people who are at the track everyday because they work there, own horses, train horses, or just hang out at the track. I don't think that there are too many horseplayers thinking "gosh, if I could just get a 2-5% bonus on my payoffs I would make the trip to the track".
I wonder what the average show payout there is...I want to say $3 for each $2 bet but that would be just a guess so 2% to 5% would not be much...maybe they are just giving back the breakage...although Green80 says it is a "nice difference" so maybe it is more...definitely benefits high rollers
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
biggestal99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,708
Rep Power: 8 biggestal99 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggestal99 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggestal99 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
some races you get an extra .20 from the reduced takeout and sometimes the reduced takeout brings back another .20 from the breakage. if you are betting show, you are much better off betting at Oaklawn than betting at home with a rebate.

Not better than the exchange. If you are a show bettor. The x is the way to go.

no breakage.

ALlan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,509
Rep Power: 13 green80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Not better than the exchange. If you are a show bettor. The x is the way to go.

no breakage.

ALlan

Yes, but the X is not available to most US bettors.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,509
Rep Power: 13 green80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I wonder what the average show payout there is...I want to say $3 for each $2 bet but that would be just a guess so 2% to 5% would not be much...maybe they are just giving back the breakage...although Green80 says it is a "nice difference" so maybe it is more...definitely benefits high rollers
According to OP, they say that their show pool handle for last year was up 34% over the previous year. I remember the show payouts on track were significantly higher although I can't give you a % at the moment. I will see if anyone list the on track payouts for comparison.

Last edited by green80; 01-09-2018 at 07:20 PM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,264
Rep Power: 8 VigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura aboutVigorsTheGrey has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
According to OP, they say that their show pool handle for last year was up 34% over the previous year. I remember the show payouts on track were significantly higher although I can't give you a % at the moment. I will see if anyone list the on track payouts for comparison.
I posted last year's replays on the Oaklawn Thread. Following each race, the show bet bonus is shown with the entire results.

It would normally result in a .40 cent increase per $2 wager, with lower odds horses getting a .20 cent and longer odds horses a .60 cent increase generally.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
davew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,532
Rep Power: 20 davew is just really nicedavew is just really nicedavew is just really nicedavew is just really nicedavew is just really nice
some of my biggest anti-bridgejumper scores have came from Oaklawn - do they still have $2.20 minimum?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
therussmeister
superfecta grinder
 
therussmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,969
Rep Power: 11 therussmeister has a spectacular aura abouttherussmeister has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Not better than the exchange. If you are a show bettor. The x is the way to go.

no breakage.

ALlan
On the exchange can you get a price such as $8.47? If the answer is no then there is breakage, you just don't know about it.
__________________
Up here, I'm already gone.

~Cosmo Kramer~
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,509
Rep Power: 13 green80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I posted last year's replays on the Oaklawn Thread. Following each race, the show bet bonus is shown with the entire results.

It would normally result in a .40 cent increase per $2 wager, with lower odds horses getting a .20 cent and longer odds horses a .60 cent increase generally.

To a show bettor, used to making 10% on his money, another .40 cents is huge.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
AndyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,806
Rep Power: 10 AndyC has a spectacular aura aboutAndyC has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
To a show bettor, used to making 10% on his money, another .40 cents is huge.
It would be but it doesn't work that way. An offtrack bettor getting $2.20 (10%) won't be getting $2.60 ontrack.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which handicapping software has given you the best ROI?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.