Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Obama gives Detroit 100 million

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23544407/...-broke-detroit

Rewarding bad behavior. A hallmark of Democratic policy

"The federal money being directed Detroit's way by the U.S. government totals more than $100 million and will be augmented by millions of dollars more in resources from foundations and Detroit businesses, but it falls far short of a the wider bailout some in the city had sought.

"Something is better than nothing," said Bridgette Shephard, 47, a social worker who lives in Detroit. "A bailout would have been better, but if we can sustain some of our needs with grants that would be a start. Let's take it. Whatever kind of money it is to benefit the city, I'm all for it."

Gene Sperling, chief economic adviser to President Barack Obama, said the administration scrounged through the federal budget and found untapped money that "either had not flowed or had not gotten out or not directed to the top priorities for Detroit."

Sperling and three other top Obama aides - U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan - will meet with state and local officials Friday.

The Obama administration repeatedly had signaled it would not offer a massive federal bailout like the one credited with helping rescue Chrysler and General Motors.

"There is not going to be a bailout," Democratic U.S. Sen. Carl Levin told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We have enough problems with the federal deficit. We need to be creative and look at existing programs. There are still some funds there."

The funding announced by Sperling will include $65 million in Community Development Block Grants for blight eradication, $25 million in a public-private collaboration for commercial building demolition and nearly $11 million in funds to ensure working families can live in safe neighborhoods.

Holder will announce $3 million that, in part, will be used to hire new police officers. About $25 million also will be expedited to Detroit to hire about 140 firefighters and buy new gear.

"It wasn't enough to try and free the resources," Sperling said. "We had to make sure they are well-used and targeted."

Last edited by JustRalph; 09-27-2013 at 02:13 AM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
OntheRail

Aaah the sucking sound... now is it from the Governments teat or rushing flow down the sewer hole.

See no one cares about failures consequences cause Uncle Sugar Sam will make it all better. Just like Big Fed when the Markets waiver, comes running with his bucket of ink for the presses. This insanity has to stop... let them roll over and dry out... let the markets float or sink. It's the only way to balance thing out and ween the flunky junkies.
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
delayjf

Drop in the bucket compared to what he will have to pay CA to keep the Unions pensions afloat.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
horses4courses

Get your facts straight

I'm reading $320 million

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...t-detroit.html
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
Aaah the sucking sound... now is it from the Governments teat or rushing flow down the sewer hole.

See no one cares about failures consequences cause Uncle Sugar Sam will make it all better. Just like Big Fed when the Markets waiver, comes running with his bucket of ink for the presses. This insanity has to stop... let them roll over and dry out... let the markets float or sink. It's the only way to balance thing out and ween the flunky junkies.
I get your point here, but don't you find it a little difficult to tell our fellow countrymen "roll over and dry out"?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
LottaKash

Do they get to "upgrade" their "Obamaphones" too ?...
Old 09-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I get your point here, but don't you find it a little difficult to tell our fellow countrymen "roll over and dry out"?
If there's one thing they could do to ease the problem it would be to acquire and raize the abandoned and dilapidated properties.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
OntheRail

Quote:
Not at all...

Piss poor management should not be rewarded. It's the only way to sober up the binge spenders. They are like drunks with a key to the liquor stores back door. So if they have to suffer thru withdrawal so be it. These pains will trickle down thru population and may make them THINK about whom they are putting in charge, instead of pulling the lever for a slick talking nitwit passing out a phones and whatnot.
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Our fellow countrymen dug this hole - why should I pay to fill it?
The message this send to the rest to that loser cities run by dems is that Uncle Sugar will bail you out - we jut dip into the pockets of those who did not totally screw it up.

Let losers lie in the beds that made.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Everyone gets a bailout except us.

No, we get people spying on our private communications instead.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Everyone gets a bailout except us.
High time for some history to be repeated.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Our fellow countrymen dug this hole - why should I pay to fill it?
The message this send to the rest to that loser cities run by dems is that Uncle Sugar will bail you out - we jut dip into the pockets of those who did not totally screw it up.

Let losers lie in the beds that made.
I think the winner's and loser's outlook is where we disagree. I feel like we're all in this together and hope my tax dollars go to help people who are struggling or in your words are "losers"

I also separate the people of a city and the elected officials who helped bankrupt said city. granted they may have voted for them, but that doesn't mean they deserve poverty. IMO at least.

I don't hold it against you and me for voting for a guy who started this entire debt ball really rolling (I voted for Bushy, assuming many here did as well).

and you'd think republicans would go in and win the offices there now. Campaign on nothing but fiscal stuff and helping the city recovery through private business. Just show Democrat failure after failure there and win. And if they don't win, win the presidency so as not to enable these kinds of bailouts that you don't want.

I've always thought if republicans could get their fringe minority to hush up and go away, and they focused on economics and hard work and private business, they'd never lose. But they alienate so many people with some of their views, that people just won't vote for them.

Last edited by jballscalls; 09-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Another 100 million?

http://www.freep.com/article/2014041...t-pension-deal
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Another symptom of big government running amok when Obama can just reach in his stash and come up with a few hundred million any time he needs it. And spend it without Congressional oversight.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I think the winner's and loser's outlook is where we disagree. I feel like we're all in this together and hope my tax dollars go to help people who are struggling or in your words are "losers"
No we are not all in it together.
Detroit FAILED to act responsibly and dug the hole all by themselves. They deserve the Hell they made of their city. I had NO PART in it at all. I should not spend a damn penny to reward them for their total stupidity.

Where the Hell is MY reward for NOT being a moron and voting for crooks?

Go to Hell, Detroit - who needs ya?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: