Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #1306
davew

New things will cost more, but unlike the previous 10 years wages are going up for the people working.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #1307
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Canada does not believe in free trade. Canada passed an anti-dumping law and imposes tariffs on foreign imporrts from countries who, according to Canada, are using unfair trade practices, to protect Canadian companies.

Also, I wonder how much Chinese steel is entering into the U.S. per the backdoor, Canada, because of NAFTA? I suspect it is alot more than the 2% cited as the import number from China.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #1308
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

The multinationals, the Chinese, and the one-world political elites have been in a trade war against the USA for decades. How'd you miss that?
I didn't miss anything. It is called free trade, something Trump claims to favor. "Trade war" is a pejorative term meaning you don't like the results. So the dirty little bastages are selling us products we want to buy at prices we can afford, and that's evil?

Are states engaged in trade wars when they compete for new businesses to locate there? Is it unfair competition when Toyota builds plants in the south rather than on the east or west coast because of lower taxes, better labor pools, lower wages, etc.?

What about when US corporations build plants outside the US? Is that a trade war? Why can't they just produce here and export their products?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #1309
elysiantraveller

Quote:
[/B]

At least we now know that you have very selfish reasons for hating Trump and his trade policies. Personally I do not want you or anyone to get hurt in life or business, but all you've done was knock Trump about his trade policy and you made it sound like you were all for free trade and anyone who differed --especially me-- was clueless.

I guess when you benefit from these trade deals thanks to the cards being dealt from the bottom deck it's all OK. 'I love free trade'. But when business doesn't go your way, as Trump's America First policy says, then all is wrong with Trump and his supporters. To guys like you, free trade is a one-way street -- your way only.

All I also know is that my successes in business and life was NOT predicated on bought-off and prostituted GOP politicians making un-American and America Last trade deals that sold out our manufacturing base and blue collar worker by the hundreds of thousands.

Sounds like you profit from this arrangement ... yet the American worker could go to hell as a result of these one-sided 'free' trade deals you advocate.
Holy assumptions...

I assure you that I have zero direct stake in anything steel or aluminum related. I'm in the mortgage industry.

Beyond that none of what you post actually refutes the facts on the ground that key sectors of the economy like manufacturing will be hurt by this. Ultimately the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

MEMA strongly opposes steel aluminum tariffs proposed by Trump Admin

Quote:
Motor vehicle suppliers, which is the largest sector of manufacturing jobs in the United States, currently anticipate continued job growth for workers such as engineers, technicians and skilled trades – a magnitude of job growth that President Trump has made a priority. However, this growth assumes no adjustments to steel imports. Putting American jobs at risk runs counter to the Trump administration’s efforts to bring jobs back to the U.S.
Thou giveth... thou taketh away...
Old 03-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #1310
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Holy assumptions...

I assure you that I have zero direct stake in anything steel or aluminum related. I'm in the mortgage industry.

Beyond that none of what you post actually refutes the facts on the ground that key sectors of the economy like manufacturing will be hurt by this. Ultimately the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

MEMA strongly opposes steel aluminum tariffs proposed by Trump Admin

Thou giveth... thou taketh away...
We'll see, we'll see, how the US manufacturing industry gets 'hurt' because Trump imposed tariffs at countries that dump cheap products made overseas. It won't happen.

But let's play: since 1970s when 'free' trade was accelerating, both US jobs and US wages have continuously dropped and dropped and dropped. And you want us to believe that the American worker is NOW going to get hurt because of this.

So you're in the mortgage business, OK. I assumed from what you said you were in some manufacturing capacity and nothing more.

So, that being said... you still ignored the remarks by Fed Chair Powell about the Fed raising interest rates 2-3-4 more times this year. Powell's comments had a big effect on the market drop too. And you should have known that, especially if one is in the mortgage business as you are.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #1311
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I didn't miss anything. It is called free trade, something Trump claims to favor. "Trade war" is a pejorative term meaning you don't like the results. So the dirty little bastages are selling us products we want to buy at prices we can afford, and that's evil?

Are states engaged in trade wars when they compete for new businesses to locate there? Is it unfair competition when Toyota builds plants in the south rather than on the east or west coast because of lower taxes, better labor pools, lower wages, etc.?

What about when US corporations build plants outside the US? Is that a trade war? Why can't they just produce here and export their products?
The trade war meme was belched ad nauseum in the media's attempt to have idiots believe that the Chinese, the Fortune 500 multi-nationals and the open borders crowd were NEVER at war with the USA and the working man.

And you bought into this stupidity too. People who put their faith in the corrupt GOP and so-called Conservative Think Tanks were made fools of when they bought their 'free trade is good' bull-shat.

I also said there won't be a trade war but you missed that too. Just like you missed then-candidate Trump saying from Day One beginning in the historic Summer of 2015 until Wednesday that he'll impose tariffs and will negotiate fairer trade deals while putting America First -- especially putting America First. Why did his move on Wednesday surprise you?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #1312
elysiantraveller

Quote:
We'll see, we'll see, how the US manufacturing industry gets 'hurt' because Trump imposed tariffs at countries that dump cheap products made overseas. It won't happen.

But let's play: since 1970s when 'free' trade was accelerating, both US jobs and US wages have continuously dropped and dropped and dropped. And you want us to believe that the American worker is NOW going to get hurt because of this.
Don't take my work for it take the organization that represents the largest manufacturing sector of our economy... of course Trump knows better.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #1313
Clocker

Quote:
Just like you missed then-candidate Trump saying from Day One beginning in the historic Summer of 2015 until Wednesday that he'll impose tariffs and will negotiate fairer trade deals while putting America First -- especially putting America First. Why did his move on Wednesday surprise you?
I didn't miss it. It was clear from the time he declared to run. And it is one reason I would never consider voting for him, even though I found him to be preferable to Hillary.

The president has no business negotiating his opinion of what is fair trade. He, and Congress, should leave it to the market. But that horse is long out of the barn.

The only thing that surprised me was that he took so long to get around to it.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #1314
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Don't take my work for it take the organization that represents the largest manufacturing sector of our economy... of course Trump knows better.
I think reckless has a point, and I'm surprised you're so quick to dismiss it...

Has "free trade" done wonders for the USA?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #1315
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I didn't miss anything. It is called free trade, something Trump claims to favor. ?
I can buy things on eBay for under a dollar including shipping, delivered to my door from China. The 'free trade' is getting subsidized by someone somewhere.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #1316
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlivery View Post
And what about the ones that have given up looking
The Dems told us for 8 years that they don’t matter....go with it
Old 03-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #1317
fast4522

I hate to break it to some of you, this is just the beginning.
There is absolutely nothing that you can do to stop what is to be.
More than half the country is rock solid in support of President Donald J. Trump.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #1318
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post

More than half the country is rock solid in support of President Donald J. Trump.
Where did you get this? I don't even think half of the White House is rock solid behind him any more.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #1319
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Where did you get this? I don't even think half of the White House is rock solid behind him any more.
49% approval this week

Stop believing the mainstream media.......
Old 03-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #1320
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
49% approval this week

Stop believing the mainstream media.......
How many of those people believe his fairy tales about tariffs being good for American jobs, and haven't a clue what those tariffs will do to their cost of living?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: