Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I am not sure how many non NE area horses are going to be shipping into Saratoga this year, you can only come into NY from California/Florida with a 14 day quarantine so thats not going to work.
Yeah. We are running into the harsh reality, which is that the sport really works better during COVID for lower class horses. The shipping across the country and filling the winner's circle after watching your valuable horses with the best jockeys raises all sorts of risks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #17
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How many of these jockeys have been showing symptoms and how many have been hospitalized? Unless some of these jockeys have an underlying medical condition is this a bad thing?
Medically it probably is not real bad. Professional athletes probably assume the lowest risk. But as far as scheduling and economics, it’s terrible. This is a micro of our economic system. In laymen’s terms, ain’t nothing gonna be normal til this shit cools down. I can’t understand the same people that want everything open ..... don’t want the safety guidelines. It’s maddening and contrary. At this rate schools, businesses that are gatherings and just doing business is going to be closed one day , open the next or closed for a period of time again. Our very way of life won’t return to close to normal until people wake up. This may even happen up here in Saratoga. It’s only been a day. The track wasn’t open but you could barely tell by the amount of traffic and activity today. Way more people are up here than I thought would be. Good for business, as long as it doesn’t get out of hand .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #18
woodbinepmi

Quote:
all asymptomatic, maybe the majority of the country has had this virus and we are already building to herd immunity. trying to be positive.
We are all going to come down with it eventually, who will be asymptomatic, who will get a slight cold and who will get real sick is the question.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #19
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
We are all going to come down with it eventually, who will be asymptomatic, who will get a slight cold and who will get real sick is the question.
I think the data is very clear on the answer.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
How many of these jockeys have been showing symptoms and how many have been hospitalized? Unless some of these jockeys have an underlying medical condition is this a bad thing?
Nah, not that bad. Let's see Carmine Fusco, a trainer of trotters died here in Pa. along with four other family members in NJ. Including his 73 y.o. mom. Seven of them total had it at last count. Don't jockeys come in contact with their trainers, owners, family, etc.?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #21
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Nah, not that bad. Let's see Carmine Fusco, a trainer of trotters died here in Pa. along with four other family members in NJ. Including his 73 y.o. mom. Seven of them total had it at last count. Don't jockeys come in contact with their trainers, owners, family, etc.?
A tragic result for sure. Do you think that people who are in the overweight to obese category should be taking some serious steps to protect themselves? trainers, owners and family should all be careful. Do you think a jockey recovered from Covid 19 is a problem for the track or anybody they come in contact with?
Old 07-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #22
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
all asymptomatic, maybe the majority of the country has had this virus and we are already building to herd immunity. trying to be positive.
I think there is a strong possibility of false positives.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #23
pandy

Del Mar Racing Today

Del Mar is back and so are the 15 jockeys that tested positive ten days ago. Interesting that fifteen jockeys tested positive and not one of them is sick.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Del Mar is back and so are the 15 jockeys that tested positive ten days ago. Interesting that fifteen jockeys tested positive and not one of them is sick.
The evidence seems to indicate that massively more people have been exposed than we know about and either never got sick or it was so mild they never gave it a second thought. When you are talking about relatively young fit healthy athletes, it would probably be more surprising if any of them did get very sick.

Outside the high risks groups and elderly, this virus is not a big deal. But there are always exceptions and many people (myself among them at 61 in that borderline age group) aren't taking any unnecessary risks.

What surprised me was that they only waited 10 days. I had a couple of friends test positive and they were quarantined for 14 days.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #25
spiketoo

Gets a bit weirder. Read on BH that these jocks are not being tested before return. First time I've heard of these conditions anywhere! I mean, if they tested positive and were asym, how would they show symptoms ? This gets worse before it gets better.

'Instead, they must be symptom-free for three days without the treatment of any medicine, he said. Most were asymptomatic and all quarantined for 10 days under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations.'
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Gets a bit weirder. Read on BH that these jocks are not being tested before return. First time I've heard of these conditions anywhere! I mean, if they tested positive and were asym, how would they show symptoms ? This gets worse before it gets better.

'Instead, they must be symptom-free for three days without the treatment of any medicine, he said. Most were asymptomatic and all quarantined for 10 days under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations.'
Yes, this is accurate. I am a business owner and we have been following closely. In terms of work in a twisted way you are actually better off to getting it then to get tested if that test is taking more than 10 days, which many places are.

Once you test positive you are contagious for roughly 3 days afterward or until the fever breaks and then 3 days.

Early on they were telling people to quarantine until you get a negative test but that was going on and on for some people but through time they realized those people were not spreading it anymore and there was no reason to have a definitive negative test.

That being said, these guys should be keeping to themselves. As I understand it Los Al and other places did not do what Santa Anita did which was the jockeys were isolated in their own areas. That was dumb.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 07-24-2020 at 12:25 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #27
spiketoo

Not sure what you mean in that they were isolated in their own areas at SA. Yeah they had trailers but they all hung out together in the clubhouse for dinner, movies and cards in the evening. Not much social distancing there. One outrider away from disaster but guess it did not transpire.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post
Not sure what you mean in that they were isolated in their own areas at SA. Yeah they had trailers but they all hung out together in the clubhouse for dinner, movies and cards in the evening. Not much social distancing there. One outrider away from disaster but guess it did not transpire.
I suppose but I think in a room with valets and other people has to be worse. There was no positives at SA so what they did was working. I am not sure (have not read any articles) that show the same lengths that SA put in place, riders were required to not leave the track during the days they raced.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #29
AndyC

Quote:
I suppose but I think in a room with valets and other people has to be worse. There was no positives at SA so what they did was working. I am not sure (have not read any articles) that show the same lengths that SA put in place, riders were required to not leave the track during the days they raced.
Are you suggesting that the 15 who were positive should be locked up? After seeing that nothing adverse happened to the 15 who were positive I would think that the others would want to get a positive test and sit out the 10 days for more personal and professional freedom.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
GMB@BP

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the 15 who were positive should be locked up? After seeing that nothing adverse happened to the 15 who were positive I would think that the others would want to get a positive test and sit out the 10 days for more personal and professional freedom.
No, not at all. Just saying they had a very stringent regiment they had to follow and it seemed to work.

I suppose the whole get it and get over it mentality might be a mindset many would embrace.