Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 AM   #61
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's true, but two things:

(1) it is entirely possible he was using from the start, and

(2) even if he wasn't, he then bulked up and hit 70....
OP said McGwire "all of a sudden became Babe Ruth".
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #62
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
The reason it's called a split sample is because they when they take urine and or blood after a race. They draw enough specimen that should a positive be detected they have enough saved to send more off to the second lab. Which BTW is chosen and paid for by the trainer.
Ahhhhhh makes sense. I wasn’t even aware it was called a split sample. Who takes the sample and sends it in though?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:30 AM   #63
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
Ahhhhhh makes sense. I wasn’t even aware it was called a split sample. Who takes the sample and sends it in though?
The sample is collected after a race by technicians who work for the Arkansas Racing Commission. The specimen is sent to a laboratory and tested anonymously. The lab doesn't know which sample is from which horse.

If the test comes back positive the trainer is notified and given the option to send a split sample to a different lab which the trainer chooses.

That test is also anonymous. The 2nd lab doesn't know whose horse it is. Or what it tested positive for.

If it doesn't confirm the positive the case never existed. If it confirms the finding an investigation is conducted.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #64
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You sure are the king of baseless accusations.
There's plenty of evidence that Baffert is a cheater. But he's been protected by CHRB throughout his career. When those 7 horses died they didn't even fine him. And then there was Justified, who tested positive but it was swept under the rug.

Last edited by pandy; 05-28-2020 at 07:29 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #65
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Mark McGwire hit a record 49 home runs as a rookie...
That doesn't change the fact that he was a good player that all of a sudden became the greatest home run hitter of all time, because he was using steroids.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #66
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
If it doesn't confirm the positive the case never existed.
This must be why Baffert was upset.

At this stage, no one should know about this case. Let's assume the split test comes back negative, then Baffert's name has been dragged through the mud for "a case that never existed".
Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #67
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
This must be why Baffert was upset.

At this stage, no one should know about this case. Let's assume the split test comes back negative, then Baffert's name has been dragged through the mud for "a case that never existed".
another +1.
That begs the question why everybody and their proverbial brother not only knows about it, but also knows all the details including the specific horse and drug. Something's rotten somewhere alright... maybe on multiple levels and fronts.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #68
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
another +1.
That begs the question why everybody and their proverbial brother not only knows about it, but also knows all the details including the specific horse and drug. Something's rotten somewhere alright... maybe on multiple levels and fronts.
Remember, the secrecy of the positive test is just something horse racing does to keep horsemen happy.

In other areas of law enforcement, people get publicly identified as suspects or even get charged, and later get cleared, all the time. Arguably, a first positive test is a public record and the public should know about it.

And I think Baffert, who, after all, won a TC by cheating and having the CHRB cover it up for him, is not in a position to complain about this being publicized. He is the poster boy for why the entire process should be public.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #69
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Quote:
Remember, the secrecy of the positive test is just something horse racing does to keep horsemen happy.

In other areas of law enforcement, people get publicly identified as suspects or even get charged, and later get cleared, all the time. Arguably, a first positive test is a public record and the public should know about it.

And I think Baffert, who, after all, won a TC by cheating and having the CHRB cover it up for him, is not in a position to complain about this being publicized. He is the poster boy for why the entire process should be public.

Racing needs fixing , it's very obvious.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #70
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

As a bettor, I would argue a positive should be made public ASAP becasue the horses can run, often a few times, while the cases play out. If you want to keep it quiet, bench the horse until it is resolved.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #71
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
As a bettor, I would argue a positive should be made public ASAP becasue the horses can run, often a few times, while the cases play out. If you want to keep it quiet, bench the horse until it is resolved.
Joe Sharp at the Fairgrounds, as a example.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #72
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That's a reasonable compromise. Pending the 2nd test, the horse shouldn't be allowed to run because his prior PPs can be misleading. That really argues for a much faster testing process because we can't have connections dragged through the mud on a false positive and we can't have horses sidelined for too long if they were clean.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #73
jay68802

Quote:
That's a reasonable compromise. Pending the 2nd test, the horse shouldn't be allowed to run because his prior PPs can be misleading. That really argues for a much faster testing process because we can't have connections dragged through the mud on a false positive and we can't have horses sidelined for too long if they were clean.
Want to cut the time down. Send a split sample out at the same time as the original. If the first comes back positive, have the other one done.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #74
classhandicapper

Quote:

You're a lawyer.

Assume I'm a trainer, get a positive, it becomes public, I get dragged through the mud in the media and on social media, and my reputation gets damaged. Then it turns out the 2nd test does not verify the first. That second result isn't going to be put on blast the same way the positive was and doesn't necessarily prove I was 100% clean. That could be damaging to my business and reputation long term. In this case because it's Baffert and Charlaton it's going to get a lot of coverage either way, but I see some potential problems with announcing these positives until they are verified.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You're a lawyer.

Assume I'm a trainer, get a positive, it becomes public, I get dragged through the mud in the media and on social media, and my reputation gets damaged. Then it turns out the 2nd test does not verify the first. That second result isn't going to be put on blast the same way the positive was and doesn't necessarily prove I was 100% clean. That could be damaging to my business and reputation long term. In this case because it's Baffert and Charlaton it's going to get a lot of coverage either way, but I see some potential problems with announcing these positives until they are verified.
Such is life, no? People get charged with murder...HUGE headlines. Charges get dropped, second page news, if that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply