Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
Copyroomjim

NBC Coverage

I would have thought NBC's coverage couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong.
What crap, especially with the gay guys all dressed up like freaks. Does anybody give a damn about that stuff? Even the women at the party I was at thought it was so stupid. I figure Bruce-Caitlyn Jenner will be added next year to achieve a new low.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
cutchemist42

Yeah the coverage is pretty bad, and maybe the 14% decline is showing its crap.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
wreckless

my issue is that the coverage, rightly or wrongly, puts off a lot of people.

this year i told a bunch of 24-34 year old guys on my hockey team they should tune in..

the moment the coverage started and i realized 'oh yea, it's this again' i instantly though about my buddies tuning in for the first time.

i must say though, the production of the videos with Costas narrating are always awesome.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Paraphrase Migliore's tweet last night, what exactly is the point of them being part of the race coverage?

Jmo here, but they, NBC, should reevaluate this decision going forward.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
yankeelpn

Its just something to fill in space. Prob 1 hr coverage would be enough.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeelpn
There is plenty of good looking women around a racetrack, go find some of them and put them on, it surely would get the 24-34 year old hockey players to keep watching.

I watched all day and I didn't see a single mention of the Breeders Cup, how about a 5 minute spot on the sport's championships (could have easily been tied into Pharaoh and Nyquist as they both won last year) a little cross promotion???

Finally, how about sprinkling in 2 minute segments with the cappers about how to actually make a bet. When I take new people to the track it's always the biggest rub, they don't understand the betting. It's confusing to them and sometimes they are making bets at very long odds because they don't know any better. Makes it hard to get them back if they just lose all day.

There is plenty they could be doing.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
AlBundy33

Quote:
Let me suggest dropping a safe on Johnny Weir for starters and you could easily fit that within that hour of programming.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
This is the key. They do a longer telecast because they can, and get a decent rating for it, but if you think about it, an actual horse race requires about 20 minutes of TV time plus the commercials. You discuss the field, you show the race and then you do the post-race. Maybe you need more just in case there's an inquiry or something.

So everything they do beyond that is going to be fill, and my suggestion is don't watch it.

What ticks me off is their insistence on switching to multiple cameras during the race. Makes it impossible to follow closers.

I really don't give a crap about the director's ego and artistry. There's a reason that racetracks show a panned shot throughout the race from a finish line camera. Save the fancy angles for the replays.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
PowerUpPaynter

Ashley Judd always does a great job.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

Johnny Queer

Love the hat & pin.....a fashion icon...LOL
Old 05-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

I was disappointed that they didn't have extra coverage after the race on NBCSN. I've always enjoyed the extra 20-30 minutes they would have breaking the race down, showing the whole race from the blimp, etc.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
There is plenty of good looking women around a racetrack, go find some of them and put them on, it surely would get the 24-34 year old hockey players to keep watching.

I watched all day and I didn't see a single mention of the Breeders Cup, how about a 5 minute spot on the sport's championships (could have easily been tied into Pharaoh and Nyquist as they both won last year) a little cross promotion???

Finally, how about sprinkling in 2 minute segments with the cappers about how to actually make a bet. When I take new people to the track it's always the biggest rub, they don't understand the betting. It's confusing to them and sometimes they are making bets at very long odds because they don't know any better. Makes it hard to get them back if they just lose all day.

There is plenty they could be doing.
I didn't care for the coverage either but the 24-34 yr old hockey player demographic. That just made my day. I think the 45 yr old Korean lady demo is bigger than that.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
JayTris07

Saw that thing on NBC and threw up my beverage. Switched to the Twinspires feed. Didn't eat for the rest of the day. NBC, not everyone wants to see that crap.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Honest question, did they even show the races leading up to the Derby with actual 'cappers giving breakdowns and logical winners?

There were multiple Graded Stakes races of very very good horses running yesterday. Did NBC give them any love at all?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Honest question, did they even show the races leading up to the Derby with actual 'cappers giving breakdowns and logical winners?

There were multiple Graded Stakes races of very very good horses running yesterday. Did NBC give them any love at all?
yeah they showed the woodford and included super slo mo replays of the accident which is in incredibly bad taste and doesn't help the sport in any way
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: