Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #151
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
PETA went into this as a 'hater" of horse racing so their "report" was always going to be slanted towards "see, we're right, horse racing is cruel and here's proof" but if we had the anti-peta send someone to the backstretch to do a feel good story on how well the animals are treated and loved by certain barns and caretakers, we could have probably found stories that make you get teary eyed also and come away thinking "there are some good people in this game who care deeply"
Absolutely true. But it doesn't mean that PETA shouldn't focus solely on their objective and in so doing, concentrate on the behavior that needs to be corrected.

They are the counter-balance to those that claim that everyone in racing is an angel and the horses are treated like gold. The truth lies between.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #152
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Their goal is to put an end to the sport.
And by extension, an end to the most popular and glorified breed of horses in America. Seems odd for people that love horses.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #153
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Almost 5,000 thread views in less than 24 hours (16 hours to be exact).
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #154
Robert Fischer
clean money

yes, PETA eats well, and pays their rent based upon the public feeling sickened and outraged and sad for animals. And they are highly skilled, and without ethics when it comes to using every propaganda trick in the book to manipulate the public out of their money.

Having some guys on our team, who eat good and pay their rent because they project a great image about the game would probably be a wise thing.
We also have an even greater issue with our sport being so under-developed in terms of high quality mass media and social media in an era where that really is a huge focus of leading sports.

We also have some real problems, and need to spend the effort to at least be organized and clean up the appearance, and stop depending on the public's ignorance and indifference.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #155
mountainman

I've been exposed to some peta philosophy and tactics, and they have no credibility with me. Zero. As in none whatsoever.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #156
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Almost 5,000 thread views in less than 24 hours (16 hours to be exact).
This is an "hfboards" kind of thread explosion, and that's impressive.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #157
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Was just trying to point out just how effective PETA has been thus far in generating interest with this...now we will see how much the mainstream media picks up on this story.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #158
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Before declaring an end to racing as we know it, or assuming this story will much reverberate, it might be useful to realize that 99.99999% of us citizens have never heard of Steve Asmussen.
not sure if that's good or bad.

Seems like a good thing in this instance.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #159
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
if i ran racetracks, i would hire PETA to monitor the facilities on a full time bases. i wouldn't waste any time thinking about it either, before the states not only take away their racing license's but take the slot machines out in 3 wheeler's.
That would be a mistake - just like good and bad trainers, there are good and bad PETA. Their radical splinter group Animal Liberation Front is an example.
http://www.animalliberationfront.com/
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #160
Mystic

NYS Gaming Commission to investigate

http://www.gaming.ny.gov/pdf/03.20.1...estigation.pdf
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #161
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Drugs need to be controlled and only given when needed. If drugs are needed on race day, you don't race. That is a start.

I think many of the problems we have in racing are directly related to slots infused purses. Free money has spawned bad behavior. The bad behavior may wind up putting an end to the free money. The free money has lined the pockets of a lot of unscrupulous horsemen. Sure seems some of it could have been put to better use.
A quick (5-minute) drug test from a buccal swab that could be ran after checking tattoo (getting sample then) and before race would be nice, and scratch positives before start of race.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #162
cutchemist42

Quote:
First mention I'd ever seen of hfboards here!

Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-20-2014 at 02:57 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #163
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I don't wish to make light of these allegations, however:

I believe that PETA even considers horse riding as cruel. They would consider using a bridle and reins as cruelty.

Their goal is to put an end to the sport.
Actually, all I've seen is them call for reform. There is nothing about abolishing the sport. I'm not PETA fan by any stretch, for the record.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #164
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The giving of thyroid meds to increase metabolism to "every horse in the barn" may not be illegal, but it is bad, really bad. We already know what happened when Baffert did this. Of course, he was cleared of any wrong doing. This is the problem with the sport. It is the wild west out there right now. Rarely is anyone caught, and when they are, the punishments are a joke.

Try explaining to people outside the game that people are giving drugs to horses to make them run faster, NO FOR ANY MEDICAL REASON, and see how that goes over.

Just because these things are legal doesn't make doing them right. You want to end the sport? Let it become well documented that horses are routinely treated poorly and drugged to enhance performance. It will end quickly.
Have to really question people who continue to bet money on this sport.......well I suppose with the "right" information it makes some sense.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #165
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP
Have to really question people who continue to bet money on this sport.......well I suppose with the "right" information it makes some sense.
And amazingly, you are the first one to address this. This is by far the worst part if you ask me. Horses are being drugged for no reason other to try and see what makes them run faster. It is complete BS.

As far as PETA, guess what? If you have no dirty laundry, they can't make a video. I'm a gambler at heart. I love that aspect of the sport. But I also love animals. They should not be treated this way by even one trainer, and I think every single one of us knows there are a lot more than one doing these things.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply