Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #46
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How can nerving a horse be legal?
If it is, it needs to be outlawed.

I think the rules should also be changed, if your horse is claimed and breaks down, you still own it. The claim is not in effect until the horse crossed the finish line.

And cut those stupid purses Waaaaaaaay back - they are at ridiculous levels.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #47
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I think the rules should also be changed, if your horse is claimed and breaks down, you still own it. The claim is not in effect until the horse crossed the finish line.
I think that's a great rule Tom. Why let some owner or trainer put a lame horse in for a fire sale so somebody can get duped into claiming the poor thing as if it's a bargain. That was you won't see any horses breaking down during suspicious drops.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #48
nijinski

Tizway had a Digital Neurectomy , very minor and according to connections it would be like removing a nerve in part of your small toe. Still they didn't know how he would come back with that little loss of feeling , but he did and apparantly there was no danger involved. However any Vet that performs a "heel" nerving on an active racehorse is a useless person.
Arizona and I believe one other state will not allow a horse that was denerved race. Bans should be more widespread , it unfortunately isn't . Anyone with with a brain though wouldn't resort to this these days .Besides
they can do temp blocks with injections.

Last edited by nijinski; 03-20-2012 at 11:50 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #49
Grits

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...lLinksEnabled=

It can't be guaranteed by anyone that horses will not be lost in racing, even when in excellent form and health. Still, this is NOT what thoroughbred racing needs. NOT AT ALL.

Its extremely questionable whether moving from the inner will stop this, as has been said, its not the track.

This is greed. Horsemen and veterinarians who have no integrity, no conscience. The entire deal's a money grab--one carried out at the expense of animals who raise up every morning, put their faces in a water bucket and a feed tub, only to trust those that are licensed to care for their well being.

There's 9 more days of racing before the NYRA makes their adjustment--nine LONG days before April 4th when the claiming level is to be raised. Reading the original article regarding the needed adjustments--the claiming level is just one of the problems accompanying the increased purse levels. Charlie Hayward's not a miracle worker and without all of the NYRA, the horsemen and the vets (particularly those lacking in integrity) he can't turn all of this around by April 4th.

My veterinarian, who takes care of my dog, also takes care of horses. Apparently, he has a different opinion from that of the current horsemen and vets who are entering horses that are not fit to race.

As he's told me, in his exact words:

"I don't care whether its your dog, your cat, your horse, or your gerbil, it possesses every single organ that you have. It has a heart, a brain, lungs, a stomach, etc. It feels pain just as you do. The day and hour I can't keep these animals healthy, comfortable, and free of pain is the day I walk out the damn back door."

Some of the veterinarians and trainers in horseracing ducked class or didn't get the memo attached to their license. This makes me sick. The whole thing makes me feel shame. How does one defend thoroughbred racing when looking at this?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
lamboguy

the call to close up racing is now in gear. the basic problem in this game is that large trainers and owners are running the sport, the inmates running the asylum.

owners, trainers, vets, and race track owners and employees tend to be very greedy people. what this game needs all over for starters is limits on the number of stalls that trainers have on a racetrack, and limits on numbers of horses that one owner can race in a race track at one particular meet.

my guess is that 26 stalls is more than enough for one trainer, and 5 horses is more than enough for one owner at a racetrack. this would be a very drastic change in the sport. right here and right now this can be done without shortages of entries in places like NEW YORK, and GULFSTREAM. in florida the state government has cut back the taxes and gave the revenue back to the track and have increased purses, they can actually increase more if they want to now.

i agree with GRITS comments 110%
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #51
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Dahlman
If you have claiming races there will always be a bottom. In tomorrows first race there is a great example of what is wrong. On March 4 Papa's Nice Cat won a $52000 NYbred allowance race. A friend of mine who watches horses come back after the race told me that on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the worst), Papa got a 10. Seventeen days later Papa is entered for the bottom ($7500). Bet him if you want, claim him if you want, if he breaks down you lose but the biggest loser will be NYRA.
Bless you Mr. Dahlman for this post. Papa's Nice Cat was scratched out of this race. There exists the possibility that your bringing this info to a public forum was the pressure that saved this horse's life.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #52
nijinski

Grening, DRF said 18 horses scratched today . A majority of which are Vet scratches . Almost a quarter of the race card .

Last edited by nijinski; 03-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #53
Linny

I don't EVER recall seeing so many scratches on a day when track conditions (wet/off the turf) are not involved. I follow NY racing daily and have for almost 15 years. Even the overnight stakes feature fell apart. If this is what happens when the vets get tough, it's obviously time to consider less racing in NY. In previous winters NYRA has taken a couple of "breaks" over the winter. This year they were adding 10th races on weekends and other than at Christmas, they took no breaks.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #54
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
I don't EVER recall seeing so many scratches on a day when track conditions (wet/off the turf) are not involved. I follow NY racing daily and have for almost 15 years. Even the overnight stakes feature fell apart. If this is what happens when the vets get tough, it's obviously time to consider less racing in NY. In previous winters NYRA has taken a couple of "breaks" over the winter. This year they were adding 10th races on weekends and other than at Christmas, they took no breaks.
Stop making things up. Really.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

According to Equibase, all 18 were TRAINER scratches.
Still, on a nice day like today, that is really bad.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #56
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
According to Equibase, all 18 were TRAINER scratches.
Still, on a nice day like today, that is really bad.
Don't know what Equibase labels "a trainer scratch", but according to DRF the NYRA veterinarian stated that five of the horses were scratched by NYRA's veterinary team. And I'd guess that in a few of the other "trainer scratches", the trainer was given some encouragement.

NYRA's got a PR disaster on their hands, and they're going to be all over this...at least for a few weeks until the heat cools off.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #57
Linny

TLG, not sure about last winter but for several years there were extra dark days once or twice a winter. A couple of years ago (2010?) they took a Wed/Thu/Fri off in late January, or maybe it was just a Th-Fri after MLK day, but there were certainly days. I tossed the last 5 years of NYRA calendars only about 3 months ago, I wish I stil had them.
This winter with no scheduled break and only one weather cancellation, there was more racing than most years over the last 5. Violette mentioned the lack of breaks in winter and the lack of snow forced training breaks as a possible culprit this winter in an interview with Seth Merrow and Steve Byk last Sat.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #58
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
TLG, not sure about last winter but for several years there were extra dark days once or twice a winter. A couple of years ago (2010?) they took a Wed/Thu/Fri off in late January, or maybe it was just a Th-Fri after MLK day, but there were certainly days. I tossed the last 5 years of NYRA calendars only about 3 months ago, I wish I stil had them.
This winter with no scheduled break and only one weather cancellation, there was more racing than most years over the last 5. Violette mentioned the lack of breaks in winter and the lack of snow forced training breaks as a possible culprit this winter in an interview with Seth Merrow and Steve Byk last Sat.
The schedule this year hasn't been any different than any recent years I can remember.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #59
the little guy

Quote:
Like I said, you're just making stuff up.

But, hey, go with it.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #60
RichieP

Quote:
I don't EVER recall seeing so many scratches on a day when track conditions (wet/off the turf) are not involved.
I'm hoping that NYRA goes to 4 days a week. Cut the purses drastically on the low end of the scale.

I cant wait for Belmont to open, I love the track, park, people etc

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: