Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 AM   #46
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
“Not Knowing” blah!

Man-up and run your business and treat your employees fairly. I seriously hope he doesn’t play the not knowing card.

No excuse to not have the overhead in place for an operation that size.
Thank you.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #47
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Bottom line is I don't expect any trainer to know the details of payroll or labor law, just like I wouldn't expect any business owner or CEO to either.
Um..........what?

You think somebody gets to level of CEO and doesn't know jack about payroll or labor laws?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 AM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Another negative thread about racing that somehow attracts people out of the woodwork, who don't post much for years, but are suddenly nonstop chatty cathys with TONS to say...weird how that works.

Well, not really. I know what the jig is...and it's getting old.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #49
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Another negative thread about racing that somehow attracts people out of the woodwork, who don't post much for years, but are suddenly nonstop chatty cathys with TONS to say...weird how that works.

huh?
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #50
fastfasterfastest

Quote:

So now people aren't allowed to have an opinion? It shouldn't matter what brings people out of the "woodwork". Everyone's entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with that opinion is solely on you, but bashing people for speaking out is ridiculous.
fastfasterfastest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #51
lamboguy

Quote:
Who said he did?

The fine was 1.6M. Nothing was said about how much the employees were owed. Nothing was said about how much of the fine is punitive in nature.

You guys sure jump to a lot of conclusions based on a catchy headline.
from what i just read, 90% of the money was what was owed in backwages to 150 different employees. the other 10% comprise the amount of fines and penalties over a 3 year period.

i do agree with you though that the penalties should have been a lot higher on this particular case.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Paying your employees is not rocket science. Millions of small businesses do it every day.

What leeway do you suppose Chad allows his employees to not do all that their jobs require?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #53
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You were complaining some days ago, because of the "one-sidedness" of the recent 'investigative' articles about this game. In this case...is anyone preventing Chad Brown from answering his phone, and presenting the "other side"?
I would like to know the full story because I have no idea how it all works these days. I know how it was for me in the late 70s when I was a hotwalker for trainer David Sazer at Aqueduct for a summer job.

I had to be there at 6:00am. My day was done when the training schedule for that day was done. Sometimes that meant I was done at 10:30am and sometimes that meant later. Once or twice a week it was my turn to help with the afternoon feeding. So after the morning rounds I hitched a ride in the back of a truck with the horses that were going to Belmont to race, bet the daily double, and then hitched my way back in time for feeding. If we shipped out of town I sometimes rode with the horses and either stayed overnight on the backstretch of the out of town track or came back much later that day. The job was 7 days a week. I can only recall being given 1 day off over 3 months, but maybe it was 2. I got a flat weekly salary no matter how many hours I worked. It was basically the same deal for everyone in the barn as far as I know. I assume it's different now, but I surely haven't got the foggiest idea how it works for a major outfit.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-24-2019 at 11:11 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #54
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Paying your employees is not rocket science. Millions of small businesses do it every day.

What leeway do you suppose Chad allows his employees to not do all that their jobs require?
My exact reaction. With his scale, CB could easily absorb the cost of a payroll service, such as Paychex. If there was/is confusion around hours worked, install a biometric-based time and attendance system. Again, the costs of such a system would be immaterial to his operation. With these two systems in place, no more issues.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #55
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I would like to know the full story because I have no idea how it all works these days. I know how it was for me in the late 70s when I was a hotwalker for trainer David Sazer at Aqueduct for a summer job.

I had to be there at 6:00am. My day was done when the training schedule for that day was done. Sometimes that meant I was done at 10:30am and sometimes that meant later. Once or twice a week it was my turn to help with the afternoon feeding. So after the morning rounds I hitched a ride in the back of a truck with the horses that were going to Belmont to race, bet the daily double, and then hitched my way back in time for feeding. If we shipped out of town I sometimes rode with the horses and either stayed overnight on the backstretch of the out of town track or came back much later that day. The job was 7 days a week. I can only recall being given 1 day off over 3 months, but maybe it was 2. I got a flat weekly salary no matter how many hours I worked. It was basically the same deal for everyone in the barn as far as I know. I assume it's different now, but I surely haven't got the foggiest idea how it works for a major outfit.
Unless the law was different in the 1970s, this was not a salary/exempt eligible position, meaning you should have been paid hourly.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #56
clicknow

Quote:
Another negative thread about racing
I didn't really see it as another negative thread about *racing*, only a thread about one of the cheaters in racing.

Not everyone in racing is a cheater. But once those individuals are *exposed*, having a topic running on them seems like part of the penance they must pay for their bad actions. It also puts potential cheaters on notice. That "we" see them, that we monitor them, that we don't approve of them, etc.

AFAIC, the more folks who see a topic like this, the better. Paying a fine then just moving on really isn't enough (which is basically all that would usually happen, then the person disappears for while and reemerges at a later date, and often much of this just goes unnoticed.) . That happens with corporations who commit actions that are against the interests of the public good. I say they need to not just pay fines, but face the embarassment of being spotlighted.

The one thing that social media and internet does well is shine a flashlight. Sometimes, that's good and just.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #57
showonly

Quote:

Does this mean that the jig is therefore up?
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #58
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfasterfastest View Post
So now people aren't allowed to have an opinion? It shouldn't matter what brings people out of the "woodwork". Everyone's entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with that opinion is solely on you, but bashing people for speaking out is ridiculous.
lol

Whatever you say...
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #59
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I didn't really see it as another negative thread about *racing*, only a thread about one of the cheaters in racing.
You shouldn't use the word "cheater." It has a whole other meaning when it comes to racing. This is not one of those cases.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #60
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by showonly View Post
Does this mean that the jig is therefore up?
I have a question for you - what's DHF stand for? Over my head.