Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #196
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
TDS can be fatal, too.
Why bother...

When your stuff is this weak?

Seriously...

I'll just cruise along laughing at you guys being dead wrong again...

elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #197
elysiantraveller

Quote:
TDS can be fatal, too.
Trump beats the drum of war for over a year... reneges on a deal, sanctions Iran, ALL CAPS TWEET, sanctions allies, sends carrier battle group, B52s, and Patriots...

Iran shows its fangs... whacks some tankers and a pipeline.

Trump: "We don't want a war... call me..."

Jokes.

Centrifuges start spinning again in 58 days.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #198
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Was that a selfie-video of your vacation last year?

Double answering my posts now - TDS cab do that to you.
The mind is the first thing to go.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #199
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Was that a selfie-video of your vacation last year?

Double answering my posts now - TDS cab do that to you.
The mind is the first thing to go.
I do get a double kick out of watching you guys flounder around as Trump makes a fool out of us...

Trump Policy: "Call us..."
Iran Policy: "No."

Centrifuges start spinning in days.

Jokes...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #200
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You seem to be the only who doesn't get it.
Not all that unusual - you usually show up to gunfights with a knife.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #201
elysiantraveller

Quote:
You seem to be the only who doesn't get it.
Not all that unusual - you usually show up to gunfights with a knife.
Says the guy with no guns.

Tom I leave more realpolitik on the toilet every morning than you've ever had in your entire life. Anyone looking for evidence of that fact can read the pages of my opinions on what happened real time a year ago, my predictions of what would happen, and my laughing at the previous opinions of you and others on the matter.

What's Mr. 4D Chess gonna do now? Ask them to call him again? Or fire the guy I said he should have never hired that you defended?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #202
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I do get a double kick out of watching you guys flounder around as Trump makes a fool out of us...

Trump Policy: "Call us..."
Iran Policy: "No."

Centrifuges start spinning in days.

Jokes...

oh shit...now we have a retread Randel making exact predictions...say it ain't so ely...
Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #203
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
oh shit...now we have a retread Randel making exact predictions...say it ain't so ely...
I predicted this status quo a year ago...

This isn't hairbrained policy. If you do X then Y will be the most likely outcome.

In this case calling take-backsies a year ago with the Iranians was likely going to piss them off. If America isn't going to live up to it's part of an agreement why would Iran? It was an attempt to press Iran into a corner and get them to react negatively...

It didn't work so the past month the United States embittered at the fact Iran has managed to keep the now 4+1 agreement going ramped up pressure again. This time we threatened sanctions against allies, very publicly dispatched a CBG, B-52 Bombers, and upped our ballistic defense.

Iran finally snapped back.

They announced the United States would ease tensions and economic pressure or they would begin spinning centrifuges and enriching in 60 days. My 57 number is some made up prediction... Iran has explicitly said as much.

The United States then dusted off mobilization plans calling for 120k in troops to the region.

This prompted Iran to show it has real fangs by having its proxies smack a couple of tankers and a pipeline demonstrating it has the ability to hit back.

Suddenly the White House had the epiphany of "Holy shit we might actually get into a war and we don't want that!" That's why you see the White House and President saying now we don't want a war and want Iran to call...

This is our new Iran policy and its ****ing pathetic... a guy sitting there waiting for the phone to ring... guess what... it's not going to ring.

Trump Administration Says It Is Waiting ‘by the Phone’ for Iran to Call

Tell me this write up is anything like Randalls... I can link to unbiased sources for all of this...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-17-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #204
elysiantraveller

And back to threatening again...

Flip a Coin Foreign Policy...
Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #205
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
And back to threatening again...
As usual, Fox News got him riled up..

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #206
jimmyb

I don't see how any American can defend a country who's motto is 'death to America'.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #207
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I don't see how any American can defend a country who's motto is 'death to America'.
Nobody is "defending Iran."

Iran is a relatively rational actor that when facing pressure from others tends to react the way any other country would. They are our geopolitical opponents but nothing they do or have done should be considered surprising.

One of the most perplexing facts of Foreign Policy is people who take pride in their country are so confused when others do the same in theirs...
Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #208
jimmyb

Quote:
Nobody is "defending Iran."

Iran is a relatively rational actor that when facing pressure from others tends to react the way any other country would. They are our geopolitical opponents but nothing they do or have done should be considered surprising.

One of the most perplexing facts of Foreign Policy is people who take pride in their country are so confused when others do the same in theirs...

I was 26 when radical Islamist's took 66 U.S. citizens hostage.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Iranian-Revolution

The militias and the clerics they supported made every effort to suppress Western cultural influence, and, facing persecution and violence, many of the Western-educated elite fled the country.

Anti-Western sentiment resulted in the November 1979 seizure of 66 hostages at the U.S. embassy by a group of Iranian protesters. Through the embassy takeover, Khomeini’s supporters could claim to be as “anti-imperialist” as the political left. This ultimately gave them the ability to suppress most of the regime’s left-wing and moderate opponents.

Their oppression is a reality to many Iranians, including women.

The Family Protection Act (1967; significantly amended in 1975), which provided guarantees and rights to women in marriage, was declared void. mosque-based revolutionary bands known as komītehs (Persian: “committees”) patrolled the streets enforcing Islamic codes of dress and behaviour and dispatching impromptu justice to perceived enemies of the revolution.

Death to America sentiment is as real now as it was then.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #209
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I'm familiar with the history of American/Iranian relations.

Also I'll point out I wasn't even alive at the time of the Iranian Hostage Crises. The median age in Iran is even younger than I am so the majority of Iranians weren't either.

Citing a 40 year old crises does nothing to address the problems on the ground as they are today.

If you don't like Iran and want war that's great... you probably love Bolton, Trump's actions, and still justify the Iraq war.

Should that be the case then fine... this all makes perfect sense...

Iran has already showed you what it can do this past week. A war with Iran will make the Iraqi Freedom look like Grenada.

There is no other reasonable explanation for American policy right now than trying to instigate a conflict... if something that happened 40 years ago is your casus belli you're bar is significantly lower than mine.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #210
xtb

Quote:

https://www.britannica.com/event/Iranian-Revolution

The militias and the clerics they supported made every effort to suppress Western cultural influence, and, facing persecution and violence, many of the Western-educated elite fled the country.

Anti-Western sentiment resulted in the November 1979 seizure of 66 hostages at the U.S. embassy by a group of Iranian protesters. Through the embassy takeover, Khomeini’s supporters could claim to be as “anti-imperialist” as the political left. This ultimately gave them the ability to suppress most of the regime’s left-wing and moderate opponents.

Their oppression is a reality to many Iranians, including women.

The Family Protection Act (1967; significantly amended in 1975), which provided guarantees and rights to women in marriage, was declared void. mosque-based revolutionary bands known as komītehs (Persian: “committees”) patrolled the streets enforcing Islamic codes of dress and behaviour and dispatching impromptu justice to perceived enemies of the revolution.

Death to America sentiment is as real now as it was then.
I remember it well too. There is nothing "rational" about what the Iranian government does.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply