Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #106
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
The two that I wore out in the mid-late 60s were the Doors first album and this one. No commercial potential, so it won't appear on any lists. Especially Martha and Rejoyce. By the way, it is only 47 days to Bloomsday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OAFu-pGF94
I remember back in the day (early 80s not late 60s) we had some wild parties blasting Baxters. It is a lysergicized masterpiece. The whole album has a flow, a gestalt linkage. Love Youbg Girl Sunday Blues, Jormas song and Satursay Afternoon, but really all of itl. No Man is an Eyeland...he's a Peninsula.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 04-30-2019 at 04:53 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #107
Prytanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Tull in the 70's and 80's were excellent live. In the 90's and after. Not so much.
Seen them for the first time at the Filmore East in early 70s and the last time at the Great Woods, south of Boston, in late 90s. Eleven times in all.
E.L.P was the opening act in Boston!

Last edited by Prytanis; 04-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Prytanis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #108
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
Seen them for the first time at the Filmore East in early 70s and the last time at the Great Woods, south of Boston, in late 90s. Eleven times in all.
E.L.P was the opening act in Boston!
I saw Tull live two years ago in the Passion Play show. Ian Anderson's voice was only good to a certain octave, so they brought in another singer to hit the high parts.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #109
HalvOnHorseracing

Am I right that nobody mentioned anything by Jimi Hendrix? I seem to remember Bob Dylan watching Hendrix play All Along the Watchtower. Afterwards Dylan said it was a better version than his own and that he wouldn't play it again. Remember in the live version (I think it was Monterey but I'm too lazy to confirm that) he said something about Dylan writing the song and says, that's his grandmother over there.

You have to put Hendrix in the top 5 of guitar players. He had a lot of good songs. Purple Haze, Fire, Hey Joe and this one.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #110
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I wore out "Thick as a Brick". One of the best composed albums ever.
After Jethro Tull did Aqualung, everyone was saying it was a concept album . Ian Anderson said it wasn't. The critics kept insisting, so Anderson said, " You want a concept album, we will make the mother of all concept albums" Thick as a Brick!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #111
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I remember back in the day (early 80s not late 60s) we had some wild parties blasting Baxters. It is a lysergicized masterpiece. The whole album has a flow, a gestalt linkage. Love Youbg Girl Sunday Blues, Jormas song and Satursay Afternoon, but really all of itl. No Man is an Eyeland...he's a Peninsula.
The Jefferson Airplane's album after Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxters, was definitely psychedelia. Only one song on the album that had any popular impact was The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #112
sandpit

I'm amazed I went through 8 pages of this thread and no one mentioned Led Zeppelin's 4th album. Six of the eight songs still get regular airplay on most classic rock stations, which is hard to fathom since the album was released nearly 50 years ago. Of the two that aren't, Battle of Evermore is one of the most daring and intriguing songs the band ever wrote and the only one with a vocalist other than Robert Plant. And Four Sticks is unique for Bonham playing with two sets of sticks, and is a far better song than My Wife IMO. The drum track on When the Levee Breaks is one of the most sampled in the history of music. Going to California is one of the most beautiful pieces of rock music ever written. No band ever juxtaposed light and dark, soft and heavy, or power and touch better, and this album proved it, and as somebody said before, LZ III was a warm-up that made this and their future albums possible.

If I was to pick a progressive rock album without filler, it would be The Yes Album. As self-indulgent as Yes could be, the five songs on this record are very distinctive, and even the two that clock in at more than 9 minutes, Starship Trooper and Yours Is No Disgrace, still hold a special place in my listening catalog.

I can't find any filler in Santana's first three records. No one has or will ever sound like them. If you want a real eye-opener, check out Youtube for their 1970 concert at Tanglewood. I don't know if I've ever seen a band more in tune with each other. It's as if the audience doesn't even exist, yet the band is giving their all for them.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 12:58 AM   #113
dansan

Deep Purple made in Japan
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #114
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I was seriously psychedelicized myself. We have evolved into middle and old age, but the music is timeless.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #115
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
OK...here's a question: You are taking a 400 mile trip and can only listen to one band the entire way...who would it be?
It would have to be the Grateful Dead.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #116
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
We have evolved into middle and old age, but the music is timeless.
This made me think of the intro to ELO's "Fire on High" which is played backwards.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #117
sour grapes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
It would have to be the Grateful Dead.
you wouldnt have enough time to listen to a concert of the dead during a 400 mile trip. Europe 72 gets an honorable mention in this thread.Someone mentioned Jorma with Airplane,loved the Hot tuna Americas Choice album.So many great albums mentioned in this thread that I have to start listening to them again in their entirety
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #118
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Indeed. Tull is an acquired taste kind of band but they have a lot of great stuff including Brick. I have it on vinyl and the "newspaper" liner notes are incredible. Living in the Past was one of the first albums I ever owned. I got it for Christmas in '72.
Saw an interview with Anderson many years ago and his reference to the Eagles stealing his "We used to Know" tune to compose "Hotel California". Said he didn't expect any cut on the proceeds, just a simple thank you would have been nice.
The Eagles early on opened for Tull on a few occasions where Tull would begin with that tune. The two songs are strikingly similar.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #119
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
you wouldnt have enough time to listen to a concert of the dead during a 400 mile trip. Europe 72 gets an honorable mention in this thread.Someone mentioned Jorma with Airplane,loved the Hot tuna Americas Choice album.So many great albums mentioned in this thread that I have to start listening to them again in their entirety
You probably couldn't finish one version of Lovelight(with respect to Lester Bangs).
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #120
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Best live concert I saw, in the 80's I think. Jethro Tull.

Saw them sometime in the late 70's - early 80's in Chicago. I love the song Locomotive Breath. What a driving beat that song has, excellent for walking or jogging.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply