Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 AM   #106
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
I usually don't put too much stock in statistics like these. It is a pet-peeve of mine because it often involves a significant element of an apples to oranges comparison. Significantly older players are disadvantaged with this specific factoid because of more recent rules changes that favor the offense, a league that has more teams which dilutes the average talent level, etc.

As an avid Caps fan, I have the same problem with Braden Holtby, who is now the 2nd fastest goalie to reach 200 WINS. Now that EVERY game has a winner, achieving higher win totals is a lot easier vs. the older days when perhaps as many as 10% of games resulted in ties. Maybe making a comparison of Regulation Wins would be more meaningful, but even then the strategy in the 3rd period of a tied game today is going to be different.

Please do not take this as a criticism of you HoofedInTheChest because you posted this. I just wanted to point out that many of these factoids are off the mark when they "imply" that one player is better than another with regard to a particular aspect.
I get what you’re saying, and i take no offence.

For starters, i take no stalk in power-play goals/points, any pigeon can produce on the PP. Goals/points produced while 5v5 is another story altogether.

You really need to look at the era that these guys played in. Games played through the 70’s and 80’s produced 7.6 goals per game on average. In 1994 we entered the “Dead Puck Era”, where scoring decreased just below 6 goals per game, and by 1998 the average dropped even further to 5.19 goals per game.

This was caused by the dilution of talent that came with expansion in the 90’s, as well as the “Neutral Zone Trap” which some teams employed. The size of the goaltending equipment started to increase in the late 90’s, and continued to increase before the NHL stepped in and started to regulate the equipment.

After the lockout in 2005, the NHL implemented rule changes that increased the speed of the game as well as an attempt to increase scoring. It did just that as the league enjoyed over 6 goals a game, which were the highest totals seen in over a decade. To put things in perspective, there were zero players with 100 points in 2004, while in 2006 there were 7 players with over 100 points.

We are now in a “New Dead Puck Era”, goals have decreased to the level that they were in the mid 90’s, and power-play opportunities are at their lowest totals in history.

No longer are there weak skating lines that you can exploit, and teams have gone back to clogging up the neutral zone which makes zone exits and zone entries a lot more difficult.

This season the NHL are finally starting to enforce rules that enable forwards the ability to make plays without having their forearms broken in two, which should increase scoring. I’m starting to see them become a bit more lax than they were at the start of the season, and the jury is still out until we play an entire season, but we should see more production this season.

You would have to make adjustments to the numbers on that list that i posted, based on the era that they played in, i understand that, but it was simply a quick indication of where this kid is at in his development, and what he has done in his first 99 games..... it’s impressive.

The fact that Matthews is producing at an alarming rate in the “New Dead Puck Era”, says a lot about his ability while playing 5v5. His possession ratings as well as his defensive play is just as impressive. Who would have thought that a Mexican/American would be this productive, i certainly didn’t.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #107
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Ok, vent time. The Leafs are starting games to slow. Maybe were reading our own headlines. The attitude seems to be don't you know who we are? Well, teams do know and when they play in Ontario against the Leafs with friends and family watching these teams bring their A games. Maybe we should too for sixty minutes.

D-men. Jake and Carrick. I really thought Carrick was coming on last season. He competed hard and was muscle for us. Something is missing this year. Jake=enigma. Sometimes the best player on the ice but often just lost. Consistency. Please. Morgan Rielly seems to be developing into the player he was drafted to be.

Forwards. Our strength. Back checking a little more would help. It's really fun to watch watch Matthews and Marner together. I'd like to see more of it. I also like Kadri and Nylander together. Kadri is an underrated strength of our team. Takes on the other teams best forward and is still very effective offensively not to mention a pain in the ass to play against. He's come a long way. Dominic Moore hasn't been all that great for us. When the Goat is 100% bring him back. I know Babcock doesn't want to play Marleau at center but damn when he does we are very strong down the middle. We need to trade from our forward depth and maybe even overpay to acquire a top defense men.

Goalie. Freddy might start slow but he's very. very good. No complaints.

Our record is really good. I believe we will make the playoffs and hopefully win a round or three. The Leafs are in new territory. Talented and expectations. Management needs to be strong with these young kids. Keep them focused.

Hoofed, one of the few hockey things we disagree is the Yotes. I think they will be pretty good in the not so distant future. Keller is a beast. Watched him a lot around here as a junior. I'm glad he's shooting more. Always thought he passed too much. Sometimes being selfish is good when you have talent like he does. Ok, off my high horse. Thanks for reading. Hoofed your thoughts?
Bang on.

The Leafs still need to work on their D-zone exits, it’s a bit of a sh*t show most nights, the forwards jump the zone a little too early for my liking. They have problems penetrating the neutral zone at times, and tend to turn over the puck in transition, but who doesn’t.

Defensively, they’re still pretty bad.

The only thing you left out was Brownie, he is invaluable. He is the hockey equivalent of a Swiss Army Knife, he can be used in all situations. After the Big 3, Brownie is my favorite Leaf and is grossly underpaid, i can’t believe he was a 6th rounder.

We have some really good depth on the Marlies, and we are chewing up the AHL this season.

When it comes to the Yotes, i have nothing against the players, mind you they’re already eliminated from the playoffs and need to play .700 hockey for the rest of the season which is highly unlikely. My beef has more to do with ownership and management, John Chayka (who looks about 15) is building the team through advanced analytics (Moneyball), and i’m not completely sold on the idea, time will tell. Their top 6 has some serious speed, which was evident the other night. They have one good defenseman in OEL, other than that, they have a shaky defense core.

Keller is leading the Calder race at the quarter-pole.... good for him.

The Yotes are costing the league $40 mill a season, which has a negative effect on the cap, not cool.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #108
HoofedInTheChest

Old 11-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #109
HoofedInTheChest

Goal distribution at quarter mark of 2017-18 NHL season (318 GP)

Goal scoring is up 12.4% this season, with an average of 6.1 goals per game.

Even-strength goals: 1,399 (up 10.9% vs. 2016-17)

Power-play goals: 431 (up 17.4%)

Shorthanded goals: 67 (up 24.1%)

Shootout-deciding goals: 27 (down 3.6%)
Old 11-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #110
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest View Post

Charging. Two minutes.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #111
HoofedInTheChest

The Leafs have found themselves another “free wallet” in Igor Ozhiganov, a right-shooting, 25-year-old defenceman currently with CSKA Moscow. Toronto has a verbal commitment from the Russian defenseman, he can sign after April 30th.

What a difference a couple of days can make. It seems that Clayton Keller has a worthy adversary in the chase for the Calder Cup in Brock Boeser.

Happy Thanksgiving

Attached Images
File Type: png Calder.PNG (30.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #112
ldiatone

Kypreos' colleague and NHL insider Elliotte Friedman has mentioned that a blockbuster trade could happen between the Canadiens and the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to Friedman, if Pacioretty is to become available, the Pens could make a move to land the 30-goal scorer.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #113
ldiatone

AND THIS FROM FACE BOOK

PENS losing all that Stanley cup talent, Kunitz, Fleury, Bonino, Cullen, Daley.. it's starting to show

Old 11-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #114
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
It's really fun to watch watch Matthews and Marner together. I'd like to see more of it.
It looks like you’re going to get your wish, Marner is staying with Matthews, that’s until Babs breaks out the blender again. I think it has more to do with Willie losing confidence in himself, both Willie and Mitch haven't been themselves this season.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #115
MutuelClerk

Marner seems to have more jump when he is with Matthews. I like the combo. Also the Bozak-JVR line has been hot I think he put Nylander there hoping he heats up. If they trade Bozak, Nylander would probably move to center breaking up Matthews and Nylander anyways. This might be a move for the future.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #116
ldiatone

The Calgary Flames have placed goaltender Eddie Lack on waivers.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #117
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
Kypreos' colleague and NHL insider Elliotte Friedman has mentioned that a blockbuster trade could happen between the Canadiens and the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to Friedman, if Pacioretty is to become available, the Pens could make a move to land the 30-goal scorer.
You lost me at Kypreos....

I’m hearing that Montreal want’s a centreman, i find it unlikely that the Habs are going to give up a 30 goal scorer for Greg McKegg.

But then again, we are talking about Bergevin here.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #118
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Marner seems to have more jump when he is with Matthews. I like the combo. Also the Bozak-JVR line has been hot I think he put Nylander there hoping he heats up. If they trade Bozak, Nylander would probably move to center breaking up Matthews and Nylander anyways. This might be a move for the future.
Our offence has been sputtering of late, just once would i like to see Babs throw out a nuke line.

Leafs: We want you on the Leafs Patty.

Marleau: I don't know... my family has been happy in San Jose.

Leafs: Did we mention you'd get to play with Leo Komarov on a shutdown line?

Marleau: WHERE DO I SIGN?!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #119
HoofedInTheChest

The Leafs have a back to back with Carolina and Washington starting tonight, thankfully the Caps play tonight as well, hey, good luck with Tampa! I'm sure there's a logical reason for starting Freddie tonight, but I have no freakin clue what it is.

In his last 5 starts at home vs Leafs, Cam Ward is 2-1-2 with a .920 save percentage.

In the last 5 years Freddie has played 1 road game in CAR which he won.

Interestingly, McBackup is 2-0-1 with a .949 save percentage in that same span.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #120
HoofedInTheChest

Lou Lamoriello called me to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “the next winger” to play with Auston Matthews, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: