Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
jk3521
Registered Loser

Stupid claiming trainers?

A horse has run in the money it's last six races. On Thursday he runs in a 6 f claimer at Aqueduct and finishes fourth showing early speed and fading. In it's previous races the horse had been running late to get a piece of the purse. The next Monday the horse is entered to run at Philly Park in a 6 f claimer with a very slight drop in class. If you were a claiming trainer, would you put a claim in for this horse?
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
A horse has run in the money it's last six races. On Thursday he runs in a 6 f claimer at Aqueduct and finishes fourth showing early speed and fading. In it's previous races the horse had been running late to get a piece of the purse. The next Monday the horse is entered to run at Philly Park in a 6 f claimer with a very slight drop in class. If you were a claiming trainer, would you put a claim in for this horse?
Can you give some more information such as the following, the price he ran for in NY and how much he ran for at Parx. His overall record for 2010 such as # of times he ran and how he placed. Based on the information you gave above it sounds as if he was entered at Parx on Friday which was after the Thursday race at Aqueduct so I would imagine the trainer saw something he liked and took a shot at putting him in 4 days later.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
MPRanger

Quote:

I think that would depend on more variables than you have listed.

First, I would need to know how much the purses are the horse has been racing for and how much the purse is on this next race. What are the claiming conditions and amounts.

Parx is a slots track. Trainers at slots tracks play it differently than trainers at non slots tracks. Slots tracks have better purses and trainers are buying, running and flipping horses. You might find a $20,000 horse in a $10,000 race competing for a purse high enough to be worth selling the horse. If the horse gets claimed, the trainer just claims him another dropper like the one he just lost at another opportunity.
MPRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
jk3521
Registered Loser

I forgot to mention that the horse had been running with front bandages, a red light for me. I envision that the trainer was trying to unload this cripple on an unknowing owner at a track away from the local circuit. The horse was claimed. I have the horse in my Stable Alert and will keep an eye on as to what transpires.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Jackal

Lots of trainers put bandages on the front of claimers. They also have the groom pouring ice water on the horses front legs in the paddock. Does the horse require all this extra care? The only way to find out is to look at the horse without bandages.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
onefast99

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the horse had been running with front bandages, a red light for me. I envision that the trainer was trying to unload this cripple on an unknowing owner at a track away from the local circuit. The horse was claimed. I have the horse in my Stable Alert and will keep an eye on as to what transpires.
Front bandages mean little, the fact is you started a post and give very little information on the horse. I asked you for some more information to determine if the horse or the trainer for that matter are claimable from. Maybe add the pp's to your thread. Or give the dates he ran at Aqueduct and Parx because it wasn't Thanksgiving day and yesterday.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
how cliche
How Cliche

Quote:
Let's see. Closing sprinter. Cheap. Clunks up for 3rd or second a lot, occassionally wins, but hasn't for a while. Last out speed/weakens. 3 days/ships down the interstate a few hours/drops one level "for action."

I wouldn't claim him. Hell I wouldn't bet him. Though the tactic you describe wins with some regularity at my circuit. Reason I don't bet: itm six in a row one level higher with a 3 day wheelback/ship=low odds. Suppose he were going up in class. Now I'm interested. From 6,250 to 12,500(10,500).

Reason I don't claim him: Has all the looks of a 6,250 horse set to run his one big race(when you don't own him)and then get slow for a few months. That costs more than just the $5,000 it does to claim him.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
turninforhome10

What is his condition eligibility first and formeost
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Lancelot10

I think the horse he is talking about is named The Mules Sister. She ran November 18th in NY http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...111810USA7.pdf

She then ran on November 22 at Parx http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...112210USA8.pdf

She is a beaten $5,000- $7,500 horse. I think the race at Parx probably came up and he entered her. JMHO
Lancelot10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot10
I think the horse he is talking about is named The Mules Sister. She ran November 18th in NY http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...111810USA7.pdf

She then ran on November 22 at Parx http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...112210USA8.pdf

She is a beaten $5,000- $7,500 horse. I think the race at Parx probably came up and he entered her. JMHO
In August of 2008 I received a call from a bloodstock agent who was selling this horse for $25k John Shaw had her. She had just broke her maiden at Calder. We veted her out and passed on her. 10 days later she won a 16k claimer. She is exactly where she should be, running for 5k. If indeed it is The Mules Sister her running style has always been to come from off the pace and everyone at Parx knows who she is as she has run there 4 times finishing 2nd 3 of those times. The one thing this horse needs is to be freshened up she has run 5x in 60 days! Not a terrible claim by the new trainer.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
onefast99

[QUOTE=Lancelot10]I think the horse he is talking about is named The Mules Sister. She ran November 18th in NY http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...111810USA7.pdf

How did this horse get to run at Parx, she just ran at Aqueduct on November 18th and the meet didn't end at Aqueduct until November 28th!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
Mineshaft
Veteran

She was never claimed at Aqueduct so shes free to ru anywhere.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
tbwinner

I would consider a claim for this horse...run her back for $5k or $7.5k at Parx, then once the 30/45 days period pass (whatever is required there) run her in a N2Y at Mountaineer which is a condition she would fit. Depends if she passes the eye/trainer check.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
She was never claimed at Aqueduct so shes free to ru anywhere.
I saw she was claimed at Parx by Swentkowski my bad.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #15
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner
I would consider a claim for this horse...run her back for $5k or $7.5k at Parx, then once the 30/45 days period pass (whatever is required there) run her in a N2Y at Mountaineer which is a condition she would fit. Depends if she passes the eye/trainer check.
She has 3 seconds in 4 starts at parx, the purse is almost double at Parx, why van her to Mountaineer?