Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 08:38 PM   #106
Cutter14

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
That makes two of us.
That makes three of us
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 10:34 AM   #107
mountainman

And numerous hardcores at mnr simulcast who team up in horizontal pools. Guys who FEATURE oaklawn and compare notes while I stay largely in my mahoning lane.

They appreciate Vic, and are not happy. Not at all. Their leader, of sorts, and best handicapper, a passionate longtime player locally famous for bashing riders in a booming baritone voice, absolutely LET loose when informed of vic's firing.

These guys don't give one hoot about social media and couldn't find twitter with the help of ten social activists. What they DO care about are Vic Stauffer's game and gravitas.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-16-2023 at 10:36 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 12:10 PM   #108
Inner Dirt

Not sure how good the string of announcers were before Vic at Oaklawn as I haven't played that track in ages. Vic was a godsend at Hollywood Park, that track and us fans endured an endless string of substandard race callers for many years. With some of them, it was amazing they were even given a shot at a once top grade track.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 01:44 PM   #109
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not sure how good the string of announcers were before Vic at Oaklawn as I haven't played that track in ages. Vic was a godsend at Hollywood Park, that track and us fans endured an endless string of substandard race callers for many years. With some of them, it was amazing they were even given a shot at a once top grade track.
They've made good hires after the long term Terry Wallace retired in 2011. Frank Mirahmadi came on in 2012 and left in December 2015 only after getting the opportunity for his dream job at Santa Anita. They immediately hired Pete Aiello - but he only stayed one year before he departed for HIS dream job - Gulfstream (he was already announcing there summer and fall - but then got the winter gig, making it year-round). Then Oaklawn hired Vic.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 03-16-2023 at 01:57 PM.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 02:57 PM   #110
thaskalos

Was the tweet that Vic posted a part of a larger discussion...or was it just an isolated incident that was quickly deleted? Even under "zero tolerance" conditions, this firing of such a renowned personality is hard to fathom. How many people with Vic Stauffer's resume are out there?
Old 03-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #111
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Was the tweet that Vic posted a part of a larger discussion...or was it just an isolated incident that was quickly deleted? Even under "zero tolerance" conditions, this firing of such a renowned personality is hard to fathom. How many people with Vic Stauffer's resume are out there?

Googling only gets the one tweet. I hope people reporting on it fade away as it isn't cool what comes up when you look up Vic. Kind of strange all the things that are now considered acceptable and yet he gets canned for mentioning an embarrassing teenage moment.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #112
foregoforever

The irony is that Oaklawn's reputation has been damaged far more by their handling of this situation than by Vic's indiscretion.

It's not just that Vic is a top-notch announcer. He has also been an excellent promoter of Oaklawn racing, of the area, and of the racing tradition there. Most of that promotion has been through social media. I doubt that was part of his job description, but Oaklawn reaped many rewards from his efforts.

Any organization seeks to engender loyalty from its employees, but loyalty works both ways. Oaklawn doesn't seem to understand that.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 03:26 PM   #113
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
The irony is that Oaklawn's reputation has been damaged far more by their handling of this situation than by Vic's indiscretion.

It's not just that Vic is a top-notch announcer. He has also been an excellent promoter of Oaklawn racing, of the area, and of the racing tradition there. Most of that promotion has been through social media. I doubt that was part of his job description, but Oaklawn reaped many rewards from his efforts.

Any organization seeks to engender loyalty from its employees, but loyalty works both ways. Oaklawn doesn't seem to understand that.
Vic has always been a person that you could tell loves his the game and his job.

I'll continue to look for significant pace bet-backs, and 'lone-juicer' races at Oaklawn with my insignificant handle.

I've already expressed my support for Vic in this situation.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:00 PM   #114
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Vic has always been a person that you could tell loves his the game and his job.

I'll continue to look for significant pace bet-backs, and 'lone-juicer' races at Oaklawn with my insignificant handle.

I've already expressed my support for Vic in this situation.

Vic is to thoroughbreds as Ed Burgart at Los Alamitos was to quarter horse racing, great announcer, ambassador for the sport and knowledgeable about all facets of the game. Vic is the whole package.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:36 PM   #115
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
Doubtful...as with all the calls for boycotts over the years, the average racing fan is either unaware or doesn't give a crap. They just want to gamble on whatever race is coming up next, from wherever.

It is what it is.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #116
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Doubtful...as with all the calls for boycotts over the years, the average racing fan is either unaware or doesn't give a crap. They just want to gamble on whatever race is coming up next, from wherever.

It is what it is.
I totally agree with your post, no disrespect to Vic...It's always been this way.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 06:22 PM   #117
Cutter14

in a jif

Just a couple of weeks ago I texted Vic and told him I wished he would could call races in New York--He told me how happy he was at Oaklawn and had no intentions of leaving---boy did things change in a jiffy---I'm sure that he can see how many people on this board are for him--as far as I'm concerned Oaklawn can go f themself
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #118
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

It is what it is.
Doesn’t matter whether effective or not. You write a letter explaining why your boycotting and you boycott. Never understood the logic of it won’t work anyhow, so why do it. You do it because you feel Vic was unjustly fired and you want to make your consumer voice heard.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 06:38 PM   #119
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Doesn’t matter whether effective or not. You write a letter explaining why your boycotting and you boycott. Never understood the logic of it won’t work anyhow, so why do it. You do it because you feel Vic was unjustly fired and you want to make your consumer voice heard.
No one knows the real relationship between Vic and Oaklawn...Share it if you do.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2023, 06:47 PM   #120
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
No one knows the real relationship between Vic and Oaklawn...Share it if you do.
Doesn’t matter. So they don’t like him for some other reason and they find some lame reason to fire him. That is no better.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply