Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Corruption in BRIS Data Files

A heads up to anyone using the Single File DRF and the MCP (MultiCaps) files from BRIS. Recently I've seen DRF Speed Ratings in the 300-500 range on a few BRIS data files which is obviously wrong. I've called them at least 5 times to report the problem over a one month span and the problem still exists. Today's Turfway Park MCP file has that problem. It always seems to be in the DRF Speed Rating for the most recent race (field #856). A customer of mine tells me that the problem exists in the DRF as well but I haven't used that file in several years as I've used TSN since 2005 and converted to BRIS when TSN shut down.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at A+
A heads up to anyone using the Single File DRF and the MCP (MultiCaps) files from BRIS. Recently I've seen DRF Speed Ratings in the 300-500 range on a few BRIS data files which is obviously wrong. I've called them at least 5 times to report the problem over a one month span and the problem still exists. Today's Turfway Park MCP file has that problem. It always seems to be in the DRF Speed Rating for the most recent race (field #856). A customer of mine tells me that the problem exists in the DRF as well but I haven't used that file in several years as I've used TSN since 2005 and converted to BRIS when TSN shut down.
Mike, I use the MCP files, and I went through today's files for TP, and found no errors in the DRF speed. My program allows me to look at either the Bris speed or the DRF speed with daily variants. Which race, or races is it showing up for you?
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Whoa, I just bought my first data file from BRIS and finally went the 'Custom PP Generator' route. This stuff scares me a bit. Have ya'll found many problems with these data files or PP Gen? I am entering my junk for tomorrow's card. The DRF figs you speak of.....are those the old SR+TV or Beyers? Do you find the SR+TV better than the BRIS figs?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Quote:
I'm looking at today's MCP file for Turfway. In race 5, the #1 horse, Artemus Joy is showing a DRF Speed Rating of 391 from race 4 on 8/20/10 at Ellis Park.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Whoa, I just bought my first data file from BRIS and finally went the 'Custom PP Generator' route. This stuff scares me a bit. Have ya'll found many problems with these data files or PP Gen? I am entering my junk for tomorrow's card. The DRF figs you speak of.....are those the old SR+TV or Beyers? Do you find the SR+TV better than the BRIS figs?
The Bris CustPP generator uses the BRIS speed figure, not the DRF figure, so there shouldn't be a problem for you.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
dartman51

Quote:
I'm looking at today's MCP file for Turfway. In race 5, the #1 horse, Artemus Joy is showing a DRF Speed Rating of 391 from race 4 on 8/20/10 at Ellis Park.
I looked at that horse with EquiSim, and it shows a 52 as the BRIS speed and a 13 DRF speed with a 60 variant. The variants are in ( ), and the ( is right up against the 6, which makes it hard to read. I am trying to locate any other horse that came out of that race to see if the 60 is correct, as it seems high.

Last edited by dartman51; 09-10-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
The Bris CustPP generator uses the BRIS speed figure, not the DRF figure, so there shouldn't be a problem for you.
Actually, under the STYLES heading (then EDIT STYLES) you can chose to display or print the DRF SR, TV or both.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Actually, under the STYLES heading (then EDIT STYLES) you can chose to display or print the DRF SR, TV or both.
You are correct, if you want to create your own style. The program has 2 default settings, and they can't be edited. They both use the Bris SR.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
dartman51

Quote:
There is something strange here. I located 2 horses that came out of the same race with Artemus Joy. Both were set to run on Sunday, the 5th. N Eighteen shows a DRF speed of 13 with a 70 DV. Copeinwiththetiger, shows a DRF speed of 14, with a 60 DV. I don't get the 2 different variants coming from the SAME track, SAME race?????
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
There is something strange here. I located 2 horses that came out of the same race with Artemus Joy. Both were set to run on Sunday, the 5th. N Eighteen shows a DRF speed of 13 with a 70 DV. Copeinwiththetiger, shows a DRF speed of 14, with a 60 DV. I don't get the 2 different variants coming from the SAME track, SAME race?????
Yeah something is screwed up and from all my calls to them it looks like they don't have a clue.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Mike at A+
Software Developer

I just got off the phone with them again and I still believe that they don't grasp the gravity of this problem. The tech I spoke with asked me to download the file again which I did. The file did change but it is still corrupt. I'm seeing a BRIS Speed Rating of 52, a DRF Speed Rating of 0 and a Track Variant of 52. The guy I spoke with was using some in house program to view the file while I was looking at the raw data. Field 856 (DRF Speed Rating) follows the 855th. comma on the line (there's no comma preceding the first data field) and the DRF Speed Rating is indeed a 0.

We left off that he was going to see if he could get "a programmer" to look at it which is exactly what they told me 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Two more corrupt BRIS MCP files for tomorrow. Both HOO and YDX have speed ratings that are way too high.

Track Date Race PGM# Horse Last 10 DRF Speed Ratings
HOO 20100911 3 6 SMOKEY AROMA 77 84 84 74 92 62 0 139 86 30

YD 20100911 8 5 ZIGGY ZACK 89 96 86 407 96 84 88 84 76 17
YD 20100911 10 4 C C PARSON 0 86 86 0 91 126 72 80 77 20
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I think that DRF has a problem. One of my forum members sent me a DRF csv file so I could see the format of the data, regarding a question he had regarding importation into Excel, and when I opened it, in Excel, I noticed that some of the Beyer (at least that's what the column label called them) figures were extremely high, like 998. Don't believe it's just a Bris problem as they get their data from DRF.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Mike at A+
Software Developer

As of today, this problem is still occuring. I've been emailing the corrupt files to BRIS on an almost daily basis. They acknowledge the problem but still don't seem to be able to provide an ETA for a permanent fix. Tomorrow's ALB and YDX files have the corrupt data, luckily not two biggies for me.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I think that DRF has a problem. One of my forum members sent me a DRF csv file so I could see the format of the data, regarding a question he had regarding importation into Excel, and when I opened it, in Excel, I noticed that some of the Beyer (at least that's what the column label called them) figures were extremely high, like 998. Don't believe it's just a Bris problem as they get their data from DRF.
The 998 is a code, Beyer < 0. There are others as well in the Formulator documentation.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply