Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
Prices are crazy, I had two of the worst seats, I think they were $80 dollars in 2000? You could sit down, that's about all you could say, no elevation change from Front row to 50 rows back, so all you could see was person's head in front of you! According to Stub Hub they are $375!
On Hat Day!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

We spent $2500 in trade outs for a box at an Orioles game two years in a row. Which means the Orioles got $2500 in free stuff at my wife’s business and we comped it all. They did the same with the boxes/suites for us. The food was ok, the seats were along the first base line and included 10 outdoor seats and room for about 25 people inside. It also included an open bar, which shocked me. We had put a bar limit on them of $1k but they didn’t do that with us. I’m guessing we walked away with a 3-4K value. It was pretty good trade.

Did the same thing with the Dallas Mavericks after they held a team closeout (we closed our facility to the public from 8p-midnight and only Mavs season ticket holders were allowed in) and meet and greet the players event. It cost us about 5k (weeknight) and in return we got a suite for a game. IT ROYALLY SUCKED!!

The suite was practically behind the backboard in a corner and had a total about 10 seats. The food was inedible, fair or carnival style crap. Just an awful tradeout.

A year later they wanted to do it again. We said no and they were super pissed. They told us those seats were 30k a game and we were lucky to have them. My wife told em to shove it.......

I cannot believe the prices I’m reading about for these suites

Last edited by JustRalph; 04-28-2018 at 04:13 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 02:03 AM   #33
affirmedny

looks like Churchill caved:

affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...ial-to-bredar/

Caved
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #35
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Those dames in hats at Derby are buying boxes?
No, but their rich husbands are.

The Derby has become the "in" place to be for moderately successful southern power couples. They travel in packs, dress to impress, and burn piles of money. All just to say they were "there"....

I have purchased insanely expensive Derby / Oaks tickets four times. Never again, unless the prices drop. The "fancy crowd" has pushed the average guy out of the grandstands.

In fairness, I think I can still get in the infield for about $75.00.

And don't even get me started on hotel price gouging and parking

I'll be home on my barstool, and be $1000 ahead for the weekend before the racing starts. LOL
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, they spend $$$ on Derby Day.
That is great news for Parx.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
Fred Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post

In fairness, I think I can still get in the infield for about $75.00.

And don't even get me started on hotel price gouging and parking

I'll be home on my barstool, and be $1000 ahead for the weekend before the racing starts. LOL
You have a bar stool at home?

I agree with your comments about CD. Really greedy, money grubbing operation. I hate to say I'm within 35 miles and attend numerous times.

Yes, the best seat in the house is your bar stool, tuned in to your TV. I've had Derby tix about 3 times and sold them away. I don't need that zoo, but I'll watch it.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #38
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
You have a bar stool at home?

I agree with your comments about CD. Really greedy, money grubbing operation. I hate to say I'm within 35 miles and attend numerous times.

Yes, the best seat in the house is your bar stool, tuned in to your TV. I've had Derby tix about 3 times and sold them away. I don't need that zoo, but I'll watch it.
You don't?
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #39
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I don't know, but is the half time show crucial for the success of football?
Maybe the game suckls sop bad now is because it keeps focusing on people who
show up for the hats and ignore us the other 364 day a year.

Give me a Finger Lakes or a Prax that runs day in day out, establishes patterns,
has some repeatability. Boutique meets have no interest for me at all.

Keeneland is like a county fair that shows up once a year, sell you tickets for unsafe rides and gives many of you food poisoning, then sneaks out of town after dark. PARX is the corner diner, there every morning with a coffee and donut waiting for you, and you know the guy's name.
There's nothing wrong with places like PARX and FL, but there's a problem if there are 10-15 tracks like PARX and FL opened at the same time.

There aren't enough horses to go around and the operating costs for 10-15 tracks is obviously massively more than for 5. If you closed 10 of them and marketed the remaining 5 nationally, maybe the overall handle would drop a little because there would be some people that lost the only track they were interested in, but most people would switch tracks and keep playing.

Suddenly, the handle for the remaining 5 would explode but the costs wouldn't rise nearly as much because all the money would be coming in via internet. The remaining 5 tracks would be flooded with money to raise purses, lower the take, invest in their plant and equipment, advertise etc.. and that would set the stage for a much improved and profitable sport and upward cycle.

That is how every industry in American operates. The companies consolidate or there is investment and expansion depending on what makes sense at the time. Only the politics and the unwillingness of people in the industry to deal with the necessary pain is stopping it from happening.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #40
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

Suddenly, the handle for the remaining 5 would explode but the costs wouldn't rise nearly as much because all the money would be coming in via internet. The remaining 5 tracks would be flooded with money to raise purses, lower the take, invest in their plant and equipment, advertise etc.. and that would set the stage for a much improved and profitable sport and upward cycle.
I agree with what you are saying, but what was the lesson learned from slot revenue?

Suddenly revenue for the track exploded but the costs did not rise because all the money was given them. The tracks were flooded with money to raise purses and take out, and pocket the rest as profit.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #41
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Masters golf tournament does this all the time.

Usually this sort of thing reflects a personal grudge held by someone in power.
A little late ot the party here, but I was going to make the same reference.
"It's my party and I'll invite who I want to"
We don't have to agree with it. We either live with it, or we in protest do not watch.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #42
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
You don't?
I was thinking the same thing. Don't most people? Maybe we are just weird, or have nice houses. LOL
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 PM   #43
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Don't most people? Maybe we are just weird, or have nice houses. LOL
I would go with weird.

Once in a while I refer to a person as the "Ugly Bartender", she is NOT ugly.( but married ) and when the bar close's, she comes to my house for "extended drinking hours". Bar stool's, drinks, pool, and I use the dartboard to make selections.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #44
BIG49010

Nice to see Doug's jock win the Oaks, I didn't see the Winner's Circle, but I hope they invited Catlin!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Let me start by saying it is outrageous to do this absent some serious misconduct by Caton (and I am not aware of any).

But realistically, Churchill holds all the power here. The Derby is bigger for the media than the media is for Churchill, so the track can throw its weight around any way it wants.
And this is the problem with greed. "The Derby" has been made what it is through the public attention paid to it, not anything Churchill has done. The Derby is NOTHING without the public attention paid to it. It's literally a name on a race. That name had value because of it's circulation and respect accorded it in the racing world. When that process slows down or stops, the race loses its value. This will accelerate that process, same as with the "hall of fame" in baseball.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: