Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #31
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If every racing official who couldn't fill a racecard these days was locked up, they'd have to build a lot more prisons...
Was suggesting they had trouble filling the card AFTER the guy was walked out (confusion , hair on fire, that kind of stuff), not that it was the reason for the dismissal. lol
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #32
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the people that access to the computer at the racing secretary's office had a big edge. they knew who was entering in a race and if they thought they couldn't beat a horse they would hold off on entering their horse and wait for a softer spot. things like this can happen when the purses are this big. i am sure this goes on in other places too.
A good agent would know this without needing the InCompass system or a racing official telling them. Paying for that access just meant they were lazy. Every place I've ever worked there were at least 3-5 agents that were dialed in like that.

Coincidentally they also usually had the leading riders. Go figure.
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #33
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I can see where sharp agents would have a good idea, but you mean to say they can know EVERY horse entered in every race? Doubt it.

Having the actual data would still be an edge.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #34
lamboguy

just an example, if a trainer has a starter allowance horse that has won his last 3 races, he probably is going to wait until the very last minute to enter his horse because he wants the race to go and the last thing he wants are other trainer's withdrawing their horses so the race won't go. if entries close at 11:00 a.m. he is entering that horse at 10:59. it happened all the time with RAPID REDUX and a horse that Asmussen had about 7 years ago that won a bunch of those races too. he was running that horse twice a week at different tracks.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #35
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

So what does a jockey agent's work day look like...? What do they do...? If I was an agent how would I organize my day....?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
That makes no sense. I can agree with you calling bettors fools, but why do you assume the reason the person responsible for writing races getting banned from NYRA tracks is something that shouldn't be released?
Pretty sure he was being very sarcastic.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Pretty sure he was being very sarcastic.
As was I.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #38
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbowker View Post
A good agent would know this without needing the InCompass system or a racing official telling them. Paying for that access just meant they were lazy. Every place I've ever worked there were at least 3-5 agents that were dialed in like that.

Coincidentally they also usually had the leading riders. Go figure.
Sharp post. Really good agents are supernaturally wired in. Some can tell ME about my rundown. They network, they scheme, they share info, and they conspire. NO successful agent is an island.

And to most, inside info of this sort would amount to a mere set of training wheels.

Nobody from EITHER side of the counter involved in this is a mental wizard.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-29-2018 at 08:56 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #39
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Sharp post. Really good agents are supernaturally wired in. Some can tell ME about my rundown. They network, they scheme, they share info, and they conspire. NO successful agent is an island.

And to most, inside info of this sort would amount to a mere set of training wheels.

Nobody from EITHER side of the counter involved in this is a mental wizard.
Maybe all this is true, but it doesn't mean that everyone has access to every agent's gossip. I've never heard of anyone who knows all who will be entered in a regular race (non-stake), though you can make a good guess about horses on the grounds meeting the condition and returning the next time the condition rolls around.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #40
mountainman

Quote:
Maybe all this is true, but it doesn't mean that everyone has access to every agent's gossip. I've never heard of anyone who knows all who will be entered in a regular race (non-stake), though you can make a good guess about horses on the grounds meeting the condition and returning the next time the condition rolls around.
They have their ways. And I've at NUMEROUS times had arrogant agents regale ME with a recitation of every horse entered in a specific race. They can be incredibly resourceful and, again, communicate and share info (sometimes from track to track) to a much greater extent than players realize.

Trust me, sir. I do have some experience in these matters.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-29-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #41
jay68802

Funny thing, is at Fonner Park we always say if you see one jockey agent, look again, because there will be another one talking to him shortly.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 AM   #42
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
They have their ways. And I've at NUMEROUS times had arrogant agents regale ME with a recitation of every horse entered in a specific race. They can be incredibly resourceful and, again, communicate and share info (sometimes from track to track) to a much greater extent than players realize.

Trust me, sir. I do have some experience in these matters.
That misses my point. Let's say some agent can tell you that. That doesn't mean the agent is giving the same list to every trainer on the grounds. This whole thing isn't about providing some agent with the info, but a trainer. The trainer is tending to his own horses. He's not going from barn to barn asking trainers which horses he's sending where and how might his rider fit in.

Bottom line, it's an advantage to the trainer to be able to access this information, despite what some super agents may know, don't you think?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 AM   #43
mountainman

Quote:
That misses my point. Let's say some agent can tell you that. That doesn't mean the agent is giving the same list to every trainer on the grounds. This whole thing isn't about providing some agent with the info, but a trainer. The trainer is tending to his own horses. He's not going from barn to barn asking trainers which horses he's sending where and how might his rider fit in.

Bottom line, it's an advantage to the trainer to be able to access this information, despite what some super agents may know, don't you think?
To some extent, sure.Agents never stop sucking up to trainers. My guess is the agents ensnared here sealed their own fate by crowing about inside access.

I once banned an agent (permanently) from participating in the draw because he was boasting about palming pills. I don't think he even HAD the nerve or dexterity to do this-but he certainly wanted horsemen to THINK he did.

And, on a deeper, even slimier level, some jocks are impressed by agents who provide certain extra services. It can be an incestuous quagmire.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #44
lamboguy

Quote:
To some extent, sure.Agents never stop sucking up to trainers. My guess is the agents ensnared here sealed their own fate by crowing about inside access.

I once banned an agent (permanently) from participating in the draw because he was boasting about palming pills. I don't think he even HAD the nerve or dexterity to do this-but he certainly wanted horsemen to THINK he did.

And, on a deeper, even slimier level, some jocks are impressed by agents who provide certain extra services. It can be an incestuous quagmire.
he might have been palming pills. i knew a guy at Suffolk years ago that never drew the inside on sprint races years ago. you could almost bet your money he was getting the outside post. that was Johnnie Prince, he along with another trainer Dave Monaci never met a doughnut they didn't love.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #45
MonmouthParkJoe

Most agents I know are on the backside and in the racing office all the time. By virtue of just being there, you will hear and see a lot.

That being said, if you are really following the meet and in tune with the horse population/who was running where/condition book, add in some workouts, you can pretty accurately get an idea of who is running in 90% of the races being drawn. Add to that, they share a ton of information and have insight into what trainer is entering who.

I agree with the previous comment, while it is an edge, its not a huge one by any means. Do the work and you wont need it.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: