Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Teach

The Wall With Mexico: Concerns

“We’re Going To Build The Wall, And Mexico’s Going To Pay For It.” Donald Trump used that phrase over and over again throughout his presidential campaign. Now it appears that that border wall between the U.S. and Mexico will come to fruition. Yet, there are concerns:

My major concern: Is Mexico really going to pay for the wall? President Trump promises that will be the case – one way or another. The Mexican President, Enrique Pena Nieto, says “No Way!” As for President Trump, he appears to have “walked back” from a 20% tariff (the operative word is appears. It’s the old “Let’s run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it”) on imported Mexican goods. White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, recently said that a 20 percent import tax was one idea in ‘‘a buffet of options’’ to pay for the border wall. If President Trump does impose a 20% tariff, it will most definitely cost American jobs. Also, get ready to pay more for Mexican products, e.g., tequila, Corona, not to mention fruits and vegetables, even Toyota Camrys. The irony of this tariff approach would be that it brings about major harm to Mexico’s economy; it could spur even more people to try to somehow cross the border into the United States — undercutting President Trump’s major goal of stopping illegal immigration. Further, would an import tax be legal? We do have trade agreements that are now in place. Can we unilaterally abrogate them?

Well, this begs the question. Who picks up the tab for the estimated $15 to $20 billion cost of this project (not to mention possible overruns)? You get three guesses, the first two don’t count: Bingo! The American taxpayer. In fact, it’s possible that we might very well get hit with a double whammy. Increased income taxes and increased cost of Mexican products.

So we “front” the cost of building “The Wall” and we, the U.S. taxpayer, receive assurances that will get paid back later. But, what if, in the interim, economic conditions change? They worsen. Our government now tells us we can’t pay you back, just yet. Be patient, they say. When things improve… Further, there will likely be continuing financial obligations in maintaining and protecting the wall. One final thought: What about the costs incurred by our government in the taking of land near the border by “eminent domain”? That could run a pretty penny. Finally, there are a myriad of concerns, some of which have not been cited, and many of which are still unresolved, when it comes to financing this wall.

Furthermore, let’s say that this border wall has been completed. The border, for all intents and purposes, is safe and secure. No one passes through it without our say-so. Well, let me toss out a few scenarios. What would stop “coyotes” (Mexican smugglers) from finding other means to get Mexicans into the U.S., thus circumventing the wall? One such method would be to tunnel under the wall (there are, as I understand it, already some) at various place along the border (Do you think the Mexican government would ardently crack down on these operations?). What if the Mexicans seeking to enter the U.S. use night-vision drones to find unpatrolled places where ladders can be thrown up against the wall allowing for easy passage into America? What about make-shift water craft (balseros, as used by Cubans), near the mouth of the Rio Grande near Brownsville. There are many hiding places there, e.g., inlets, sand bars, etc. Or, even on the Pacific side, just north of Tijuana. In a nutshell, even with the construction of this wall, a daunting task still remains for the U.S. Border Patrol.

One final thought: This border-wall construction can have international consequences. Not the least of which is the possibility of a world-wide trade war. That would likely mean higher costs for American consumers and the loss of American jobs. Moreover, the world, geopolitically, is a fragile place. It’s like a series of aligned dominos, one action can trigger another, and then another.

In conclusion, yes, as promised, we’re going to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. Yet, the possible consequences of that action are still unknown.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
davew

I have been trying to convince all my friends to take the doors off their house - what are they trying to keep in/out?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Sinner369

The Berlin Wall................???

The Berlin Wall between East and West Germany was built for the same purpose..........and people still made escapes........even though it was smaller and more heavily patrol.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
xtb

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
forced89

What is most likely to happen is Congress will pass an overall tax on imports as part of tax reform. Note that most other countries already do this. Trump will declare victory and say that collecting this tax on imports from Mexico is Mexico paying for the wall. A little disingenuous but he will get away with it.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
What is most likely to happen is Congress will pass an overall tax on imports as part of tax reform. Note that most other countries already do this. Trump will declare victory and say that collecting this tax on imports from Mexico is Mexico paying for the wall. A little disingenuous but he will get away with it.
he's already said he wants a 20% tax on imports from mexico to pay for it.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
chadk66

so far all that Trump has done he said he would do. I have no reason to doubt he is going to build the wall and eventually Mexico will pay for it. It's going to be built in some way,shape or form so we might as well concede to it. The only people that could be against it are people that think they gain by illegal aliens coming and going from this country any time they damn well please. I don't know how old most of you are but many I'm sure remember the near daily bombings in Israel. Well they built the wall and it's come to a complete stop for the most part. It is damn well worth the shot building it. This government wastes far more than this on an annual basis. Trump will reign in that waste and that alone could pay for the wall. This guy is a businessman that did amazingly well. We need to trust he knows what he is doing in regard to paying for it. But I'm guessing many use that excuse to cover up their real angst against the wall.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
woodtoo

"At this point, what difference does it really make"
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

"I don't always put tariffs on beer, but when I do, it is Dos Equis!

---Donald Trump, the most interesting world leader, 2017
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
johnhannibalsmith

The best part is reading someone else that more than likely never saw a government expenditure he didn't like suddenly worried about taxpayers and their money.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
Jess Hawsen Arown

Consequences of building the wall -- ZERO!!!

American will be a better and safer place for Americans to live.

Mexico paying for it is not high on my importance list, but I'd be surprised if negotiations with them on the wall DOES NOT improve our bottom line.

President Trump continues to make questionable statements (because he is a human being, not a politician), but his actions have been nothing short of outstanding. I know its only a week, but he just may be the best POTUS ever.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
woodtoo

Hang on Jess, the week isn't over yet.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown
Mexico paying for it is not high on my importance list, but I'd be surprised if negotiations with them on the wall DOES NOT improve our bottom line.
I'm with you on this. I don't give a flip, at this point, who pays for the wall. If we should end up paying for it, the 20 billion or whatever is chump change compared to what we spend to take care of this nation's illegals and other welfare junkies and other wasteful expenditures.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
MutuelClerk

Tunnels.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #15
zico20

So Teach, you are worried about 15-20 billion? Did you check yourself into a nut house when Obama proposed and passed close to one trillion in the stimulus package. Are you posting this from the nut house, and if so, when is your release date. Get well soon!