Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 12:32 AM   #76
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You mean there are horseplayers out there who are "unsophisticated" enough to bet real money on a pick-4 posted by Peter Lurie?
I can't get TVG, but I've heard them say you can enter a personality ticket easily. I'm sure a few do it. I doubt they do it for long though.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #77
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
You mean there are horseplayers out there who are "unsophisticated" enough to bet real money on a pick-4 posted by Peter Lurie?
I’ve never seen this gentleman make it to the last leg alive lol

Back when my Dad would watch TVG I would call him and ask what Gino’s play was, because if mine was similar, I wouldn’t play it!!!

Now it seems they have the young lady from International Racing doing the handicapping. I had TVG on one night and when she signed off at 8pm I said “thank you” to the big guy upstairs.

Last edited by TiffaniO; 05-29-2018 at 12:53 AM.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #78
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I never "herd" Peter Laurie give out a pick. He puts me to sleep long before hever gets that far.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #79
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I can't get TVG, but I've heard them say you can enter a personality ticket easily. I'm sure a few do it. I doubt they do it for long though.
There will always be enough players that do not want to pick their own losers
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #80
turfnsport

Quote:
I just had a thought: Could it be that the TVG hosts are at least partly to blame for the losses that have driven so many horseplayers away from this game in recent years?
Yes, I have said this for years, and has been my biggest beef with TVG. Their obsession with Pick 4 and Pick 6 betting I am sure has led to many new players to tap out quickly. When I first started in the game most of the exotic bets did not exist. While I was a crappy handicapper, making win, place exacta, double and trifecta bets I never really lost much. I was able to stick around long enough to learn the game.

New players attracted by TVG are hit over the head with playing “guaranteed” pools and Pick 4’s. Much harder bets to hit. A new player drops in $100 or $200 and plays these types of bets are very likely to tap out very quickly. They reload once or twice and if they tap out again, then there is a good chance they are done.

With that said, some of the things TVG does is good. Their cash back on win bets up to $10 for second and third on many big days is a great way for new players to keep their bankroll intact. They are really pushing this promo and I am guessing they retain their new players much longer with promos like this. It is a lower risk bet with a lower takeout.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #81
castaway01

Quote:
Just a couple clicks, if you're so inclined.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #82
lamboguy

Quote:
i used to know a guy that owned a bunch of strip joints in Vegas, he would bet all the tickets that Mr. B. posted on the air when he worked for TVG. when Mr. got canned, probably for poor picking, this guy quit betting horses.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #83
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I never "herd" Peter Laurie give out a pick. He puts me to sleep long before hever gets that far.
This is funny, I don't care who you are!!!!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #84
Zydeco

Quote:
I agree. I can listen if I'm bored, tune it out if I'm not interested, doesn't bother me one way or the other. TVG is trying to get people to bet, especially the bets where they make the most money. I'm not sure what people really expect.
This is me. My take exactly.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #85
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i used to know a guy that owned a bunch of strip joints in Vegas, he would bet all the tickets that Mr. B. posted on the air when he worked for TVG. when Mr. got canned, probably for poor picking, this guy quit betting horses.
If you owned a strip joint, why would you EVER watch a HORSE race?!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #86
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Isn’t the TVG Network basically obsolete due to live streaming from ADWs and the functionality of video from cell phones or laptops?

If you are watching TVG and betting, it means you are using an ADW, which means you can get the live stream of any track you want without hearing the TVG “personalities”.
It's not obsolete if you view it as nothing but a big fat commercial for TVG to get people to sign up for their ADW. Which is kind of what it has been from the beginning...I think it still works for them.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #87
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This guy today - Lee?
Does he EVER stop yapping and take a breath?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #88
Track Phantom

I do not understand TVG offering "experts" constructing pick 4 or 5 tickets with straight favorites. Do people rely on that kind of insight?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #89
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
I do not understand TVG offering "experts" constructing pick 4 or 5 tickets with straight favorites. Do people rely on that kind of insight?
what is "straight favorites"?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #90
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
Yes, I have said this for years, and has been my biggest beef with TVG. Their obsession with Pick 4 and Pick 6 betting I am sure has led to many new players to tap out quickly. When I first started in the game most of the exotic bets did not exist. While I was a crappy handicapper, making win, place exacta, double and trifecta bets I never really lost much. I was able to stick around long enough to learn the game.

New players attracted by TVG are hit over the head with playing “guaranteed” pools and Pick 4’s. Much harder bets to hit. A new player drops in $100 or $200 and plays these types of bets are very likely to tap out very quickly. They reload once or twice and if they tap out again, then there is a good chance they are done.

With that said, some of the things TVG does is good. Their cash back on win bets up to $10 for second and third on many big days is a great way for new players to keep their bankroll intact. They are really pushing this promo and I am guessing they retain their new players much longer with promos like this. It is a lower risk bet with a lower takeout.
Unless there are massive multiple day carryovers we endeavor to keep the hosts tickets under $50.