Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 05-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
During the betting stage, horse-betting resembles golf: You keep a bunch of different clubs in your bag...and you let the HOLE determine which club to use. Don't try to fit the race to the bet. Fit the bet to the race.
Keeping with your golf analogy. Most golfers aren't equally proficient with every club in the bag. Golfers have to play every shot while horse bettors can sit out the shots that might call for a high draw with a 4 iron when the best they can do is hit a low cut. But your point is certainly correct, a player shouldn't try to hit a 7 iron 260 yards just because it is his favorite club.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Betting on overlays is the ONLY way to make money. It's impossible otherwise.

Every long term winning player is betting on overlays. Whether they know it or not.

That's certainly true, but deceptively worthless to the average player. How to know what an overlay is in advance? Is it a longshot? Is it a short price that 'cant lose'.

Many apparent overlays are in fact dead on the board for reasons you won't know. Opposite true for apparent 'underlays'. Serling talks about this all the time.

For the most part, you know if you bet on overlays after the fact, when your p&l is totaled, not before.

Yeah, I know you can create systems that show a profit, so you could say all it's plays are overlays, but how many have such things in the real world?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner369 View Post
Despite all the long winded answers............what everyone is trying to say it's that BET the race where you have some kind of advantage over the general public.
Some may very well be “long-winded” comments, but at least most make some sense.

I for one would like to know first of all who is this “public” that you and others are constantly referring to? Are you trying to lump everyone that’s in the betting population for any particular racing event into one generic group called the “public”?

If we can assume that part of this betting population is composed of those directly connected to these horses, I’d also ask how any typical handicapper can gain any sort of advantage over those who know the intentions, and physical and mental well-being of these animals?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
Sinner369

By general.............???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Some may very well be “long-winded” comments, but at least most make some sense.

I for one would like to know first of all who is this “public” that you and others are constantly referring to? Are you trying to lump everyone that’s in the betting population for any particular racing event into one generic group called the “public”?

If we can assume that part of this betting population is composed of those directly connected to these horses, I’d also ask how any typical handicapper can gain any sort of advantage over those who know the intentions, and physical and mental well-being of these animals?

By general public..........I mean the over 50% of the bettors who is betting the favorite of each race.........this is not meant to be an insult.......matter of fact........the general public is probably the best handicapper of all because the favorite wins more than any other type of handicappers.

But you know as well as me that favorites only win 30 to 33% of the time so you cannot make money betting the favorites in each race.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post

I not denying that the owners, horsemen and jockeys, agents, grooms, et al, seek to profit though wagering by any inside info they might have at any given time...but I do see a difficulty identifying these actions in the betting pools as being distinctly theirs...I mean, how can anyone know whom is betting on what...? How do you know it is horsemen betting and not some shark or whale that has directed fluctuations in the various pools...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
That's certainly true, but deceptively worthless to the average player. How to know what an overlay is in advance? Is it a longshot? Is it a short price that 'cant lose'.

Many apparent overlays are in fact dead on the board for reasons you won't know. Opposite true for apparent 'underlays'. Serling talks about this all the time.

For the most part, you know if you bet on overlays after the fact, when your p&l is totaled, not before.

Yeah, I know you can create systems that show a profit, so you could say all it's plays are overlays, but how many have such things in the real world?
Studies have shown that bettors consistently OVER-rate long shots and UNDER-rate contenders with regard to their actual chances of winning...this should lead one to believe that overlays are in fact, generally, not good betting propositions...

But there is an illusion at work here because generally there is one favorite and that horse very often is over-bet which leads, ipso facto, to overlays on some of the others, which might be now considered decent bets, but really are the same poor bets they were before...what difference does it make if a horse is 5-1, 10-1 or 20-1 if it doesn't stand a good chance of winning anyway....

I have often been suckered, by my own bad reasoning, into betting long shots, chasing prices, all to no avail, just because they were long odds...doing exactly what the studies have shown that bettors do indeed do...that is, overvalue long shots, and undervalue contenders...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMaker View Post
I've been working for about 8 months on handicapping races. So far I have decided that the bet I like is the Trifecta. I'm now trying to find races that I think the Trifecta will pay out more than others and if I can find that I feel pretty good about my handicapping. Any thoughts?

Hey PaceMaker

At Belmont you get a little bit more for your money per win bet on the Turf than on the Dirt

So far, this year the average win price on the Turf at Belmont is $13.80 which is slightly blown out of proportion due to the $123 winner on April 28th when you take that winner out your win price is $11.30

Compare that to the average win price on the Dirt which is $9.40 and you can see that the value in terms of win prices is on the Turf

You can see that prices under $8 accounted for 56% of the win prices on the Dirt whereas prices under $8 on the Turf accounted for 46% of the win prices even though there were more Dirt races than Turf races

If you're chasing prices your better off playing Turf races rather than Dirt races at Belmont
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Hey PaceMaker

At Belmont you get a little bit more for your money per win bet on the Turf than on the Dirt

So far, this year the average win price on the Turf at Belmont is $13.80 which is slightly blown out of proportion due to the $123 winner on April 28th when you take that winner out your win price is $11.30

Compare that to the average win price on the Dirt which is $9.40 and you can see that the value in terms of win prices is on the Turf

You can see that prices under $8 accounted for 56% of the win prices on the Dirt whereas prices under $8 on the Turf accounted for 46% of the win prices even though there were more Dirt races than Turf races

If you're chasing prices your better off playing Turf races rather than Dirt races at Belmont
Field size in Turf races are larger than dirt. Have you done a proportionality mutuel average for field sizes as well?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #24
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Field size in Turf races are larger than dirt. Have you done a proportionality mutuel average for field sizes as well?
Hey Replay

I never even thought to do that a proportional average based on field sizes

I have to look into that might be quite interesting!!!
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #25
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I not denying that the owners, horsemen and jockeys, agents, grooms, et al, seek to profit though wagering by any inside info they might have at any given time...but I do see a difficulty identifying these actions in the betting pools as being distinctly theirs...I mean, how can anyone know whom is betting on what...? How do you know it is horsemen betting and not some shark or whale that has directed fluctuations in the various pools...?
Of course you would find it difficult identifying any betting scenarios that the connections (or anyone else) might be employing. That’s because most people assume that a basic perusal of just the live odds at any given time during a typical betting will disclose this type of information. While on occasion this might happen, generally viewing the odds (just the Win pool) is inconsequential at best in terms of revealing anything of significance on its own (other than the actual market value of each entry).

Because of my limited understanding of how the tote analysis (I use) is formulated, I can only add that I know it’s based on an elaborate relationship between all of the available mutual and exotic betting pools. The foundation of this relationship was developed through an intense study successful human betting behaviors. This involved a detailed examination of the money flow in terms of the Where, the When, and How much is proportionally being wagered.

So in my mind it not just a question of whether or not the connections are betting or even identifying their action. It becomes a matter of recognizing explicit betting patterns when certain resulting criteria are met. Then it’s a matter of acting on it, in terms of determining whether or not there’s a potential valued return in a specific type of wager.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: