Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
mountainman

Grandchildren

Please. No more pics, stories or glowing appraisals of them. Especially when I'm working at my desk or betting horses. Here's a clue: Your kid's kids are special to YOU, less so to me. It's genetic.

So let's do the obligatory "Wow, he (she) looks (sounds) adorable (smart..attractive)" thing just once. And I mean ONCE. Do not mistake my polite show of mild interest as an open invitation to revisit the topic.

However innocent your intentions, forcing me more than once to focus on your grandkids can be selfish and insensitive.

I am sooooo done humoring these benignly-crazed "blood of my blood" time-sucking vampires.

And that includes a few members of my family.

Tx for the chance to vent.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 09:12 PM   #2
thaskalos

"We would never allow anyone to steal our property, but we consistently allow people to steal our time, which is infinitely more valuable because it can never be replaced." -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life
Old 01-01-2024, 10:34 PM   #3
dnlgfnk

Offered without a hint of irony?

The greatest imposition upon my time these days, especially when "working", is the ubiquitous domination of the roughly twenty minutes before a race by individuals, especially the Twin Spires crews, who talk me all the way up to the gate about their subjective insights, particularly in the age of CAW's and prevalent individual computer analysis (which I do not pursue), and which substantially determine public percentages.

But I will celebrate, however briefly, reminders of the love between family members, especially my own.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:12 PM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Offered without a hint of irony?

The greatest imposition upon my time these days, especially when "working", is the ubiquitous domination of the roughly twenty minutes before a race by individuals, especially the Twin Spires crews, who talk me all the way up to the gate about their subjective insights, particularly in the age of CAW's and prevalent individual computer analysis (which I do not pursue), and which substantially determine public percentages.

But I will celebrate, however briefly, reminders of the love between family members, especially my own.
No irony. That concept would be quite the reach for this 10th grade dropout (ooops.. should I insert yet another “irony” disclaimer for the preceding sentence??) Btw, I mute or ignore racing analysis.

Wait.. computer programs swing the odds? Geeeshhh, does THAT explain a lot!

Ps.. on a serious note. The increasing number of smaller scale caws is something we discussed this afternoon at mvr.

Happy new year!!

Last edited by mountainman; 01-01-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:50 AM   #5
mountainman

An epiphany as I sit here relishing one last vestige of xmas warmth as Vince Guaraldi's brilliant soundtrack to that epic special immerses me: Those dinosaur-armed, macrocephalic kids are really cute. And they have to be SOMEbody's grandkids, right?

So there IS hope for me. It's a xmas miracle.

That then-unlikely marriage of jazz and xmas still blows me away.

RIP, maestro.

And.....MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE BROWN!!!!!!

Last edited by mountainman; 01-02-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
davew

It has been a few decades since I have watched a Charlie Brown special. I will probably never have any grandchildren but my nieces and nephews are popping them out and telling them apart and keeping track of their names is becoming more difficult.

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2024, 04:24 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

I cannot recall any co-workers showing me grandchildren pictures. It has been 30 years since I had more than a couple co-workers, now I have none.
I do remember a couple co worker jokers or strange people who had shown me pictures some of them showed quite a few people the photos from time to time. Had an Englishman named Bill who would show pictures of his daughter to the younger male employees, he would hit up the 18-25 year old guys.

I got played, he would ask if you were single, pay you some complement and ask if you wanted to see a picture of his daughter. She looked like Brooke Shields with an hour glass figure. Of course the minute you pay her even an appropriate comment, the guy changes his demeanor and calls you a sick pervert, and a few other choice names and informs you she is 16. She looked 20 to me, off course he told others what he was pulling and now you are it, until he nails the next guy. Another guy at the same place would show you a picture of his girlfriend in a bikini. He caught her in the middle of puking over the side of his boat, the vomit was in mid air.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply