Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-15-2023, 03:33 AM   #1
thaskalos

Are there any car dealers out there?

My son bought a car this past September 1st...the first car ever that he had in his name. A used Mazda SUV with 40,000 miles, and a full-cover warranty until the end of 2025. Four months later the car was due for an oil change, and my son went on the internet to find out if he needed to take the car to the dealer to change the oil. He discovered that he could get an oil change anywhere...so he took the car to a reputable mechanic in our neighborhood who has been in business for 25+ years.

Another month and a half goes by, and the engine light goes on on the dashboard of my son's car. We take the car to the dealer, and it turns out to be some thermostat issue that is fixed without any cost to us.

Fast forward another month and we come to this past Monday. My son drives home and tells me to come outside and listen to the car because the engine light is back on, and the car is "making noise". I go outside and I hear the car's engine running very rough. My son also tells me that the car wasn't accelerating the way it should have when he was pressing on the gas pedal.

I knew that the car had a serious problem, so the next day we towed the car to the dealer at the cost of $195. And the dealer calls us a day later to tell us that fragments from the oil filter were found in the car's engine, causing damage which isn't covered by our warranty because the mechanic didn't use a Mazda filter when he changed the oil three months prior.

Back to the dealer we go, only to be told that we have three possible scenarios facing us:

1. Pay $2,200 so the top cover can be taken off the engine to see if the fragments have stayed at the very top so they could be easily cleaned up and the problem fixed. But if not, then...

2. Pay an additional $4,000 to replace the cylinder hoping that this would fix the problem. But if not, then...

3. We would have to pay an additional $9,000 to replace the entire engine.

We have an appointment on Monday so we can tell them what we want them to do. And so I ask all you good people of paceadvantage:

1. Has any one of you ever dealt with such a problem as a result of just getting an oil change? I never have...nor have any of my acquaintances whom I have consulted on this matter.

2. Did my son do anything wrong by getting an oil change at the shop of an independent mechanic?

3. What is the best course of action for us to take here?

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments and advice.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:34 AM   #2
lamboguy

the dealer is completely full of shit. as far as oil changes go, doing them as recommended is probably the worst thing you can do to a car engine. since the inception of synthetic oil, the best thing you can do for your car after you buy it new is to take it from the dealer right after you drive it out of there, go to jiffy lube or your mechanic that has 100% synthetic oil, change the oil to the synthetic. then check the oil every 50,000 miles to make sure your engine did not burn any and keep it topped off.

high-performance cars do burn oil, and you have to check the oil every week and keep the oil full.

on your problem, it sounds like the person that owned the car before you changed his oil and filter to frequently.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Find out what kind of filter the mechanic used. If it’s a cheap no name brand, you’re screwed. Especially if your car has a “Skyactive” engine. The manual on my wife’s CX5 instructed the use of “Skyactive rated filters” Going to be hard to get around that. They will just say you used an un-approved part or a non rated part. I stopped taking hers to the dealer for oil changes, but I bought expensive “Skyactive” filters for the quick lube to use.

They are 79 bucks a piece on Amazon.

If the filter came apart and it’s a name brand you can make a claim against the filter company. I had a friend that did that years ago. They actually ponied up some cash for about 1/2 of his repairs because the filters were defective, and recalled.

Have you spoken with the mech that changed the oil?

Maybe he will do the repairs cheap, all things considered.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:07 AM   #4
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

i would say this and hopefully he is in for a few hours this morning since the dealer appointment is monday?

good luck to your son thaskalos. the story is terrible but hopefully works out for the least amount of damage possible.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2023, 11:07 AM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Find out what kind of filter the mechanic used. If it’s a cheap no name brand, you’re screwed. Especially if your car has a “Skyactive” engine. The manual on my wife’s CX5 instructed the use of “Skyactive rated filters” Going to be hard to get around that. They will just say you used an un-approved part or a non rated part. I stopped taking hers to the dealer for oil changes, but I bought expensive “Skyactive” filters for the quick lube to use.

They are 79 bucks a piece on Amazon.

If the filter came apart and it’s a name brand you can make a claim against the filter company. I had a friend that did that years ago. They actually ponied up some cash for about 1/2 of his repairs because the filters were defective, and recalled.

The mechanic who changed the oil used an STP oil filter. I talked to him about the problem I am having, and he swears that he has never encountered this before.

He advised me to take the car away from the dealer and let him “play with it”, but I am in no mood to “play” right now.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just take the rubber band and buy your son a new EV.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The mechanic who changed the oil used an STP oil filter. I talked to him about the problem I am having, and he swears that he has never encountered this before.

He advised me to take the car away from the dealer and let him “play with it”, but I am in no mood to “play” right now.

Often times the quick oil change places and local mechanics will use the cheapest oil filters they can find in order to save a buck. The STP oil filter he used is one of those. Always use OEM oil filters.

If in fact the oil filter was the cause of your engine failure the warranty will not cover it.(and they shouldn't have to, it wasn't their product.) Your best recourse would be against the shop that changed your oil and the maker of the failed filter (STP). Get a statement from the dealer that the oil filter was the cause of your problem and go from there. Most shops have insurance that will cover such things. The maker of the oil filter will also have products liability insurance. You have a good case against both.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
xtb

My high school shop teacher told the story of how he couldn't get the oil filter off of his Chevy Monza. He hammered a screw driver into the filter and got it off. But some shards of metal were loose and ruined the engine. It was a good lesson.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

I was working on cars before I was old enough to drive. My 3 years of driving I went through cars like changing underwear, I blew up too many engines to count. Between my cars and helping friends I have probably had at least 3 dozen engines apart. I believe the dealer is blowing smoke up you and your son's ass. The only metal in an oil filter is the can, the filter is of a fibrous material. Take one and cut it open yourself. Did they put any of their lies in writing and is the oil filter still on the car, that thing is evidence.

I know people that swear by synthetic oil, I have never used it. Once I stopped street racing jalopies I bought new vehicles, truck and suvs. All 5 of them went over 150,000 miles. The current one has 191,000 with no internal engine issues. The first new truck I had was stolen at 85,000 no engine problems.

What kind of noise is the engine making, what is the exact model? How much was paid for the car, what are small claims limits in your state?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
My high school shop teacher told the story of how he couldn't get the oil filter off of his Chevy Monza. He hammered a screw driver into the filter and got it off. But some shards of metal were loose and ruined the engine. It was a good lesson.

That sounds like a BS story. It is physically impossible.The outside of an oil filter that you puncture with a screw driver is thin sheet metal, it is going to tear not shatter. Even if a chunk came off how is it going to pass through the engine. The oil pump pick up has a screen on it, in case it made it out of the inside of a filter. Those Chevy Monza with the V-8s were trash, a friend had one.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

I meant my first 3 years of driving I burned through cars, I have been driving for 46 years. To add I would read all the warranty's fine print. If anyone has ever read a mileage warranty on tires they are something no one would ever follow. Another thing I would do is Google to see if that model car has common problems like you experienced. Let me see only the last dozen years I have cut down on driving. I estimated I personally changed oil 150 times
as have many a friend and family. I have heard of a grand total of one oil change mishap. A Jiffy Lube failed to properly tighten one and it leaked.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #12
wisconsin

Unfortunately, the dealer is attempting to file a claim via the manufacturer or the warranty company. The dealer is not coving anything at any step.

Your battle is going to be the warranty company, manufacturer (if still under factory warranty) or the mechanic shop who used a non-OEM filter.

The dealer service garage is the middle man here.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:44 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Unfortunately, the dealer is attempting to file a claim via the manufacturer or the warranty company. The dealer is not coving anything at any step.

Your battle is going to be the warranty company, manufacturer (if still under factory warranty) or the mechanic shop who used a non-OEM filter.

The dealer service garage is the middle man here.

I was wondering if the warranty is from a 3rd party like you constantly see in TV ads, or did it still have a manufacturers warranty.
Old 04-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #14
thaskalos

The car is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty until the end of this year
Old 04-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #15
thaskalos

The car is a 2018 Mazda CX-5, with 41,000 miles at the time of purchase (47,000 miles now). $25,500 price tag.