Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #196
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Yeah but he's got no hands. Valanciunas is a better player than Biyombo.
Overall yes, but if you need rebounding and defense and rim protection, Biyombo is better.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #197
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Yes he does. But if you pass him the ball it had better be at his waist or above and within two steps of the basket.
Sounds like Tristan Thompson without the shot blocking, defensive rebounds and the 82 million dollar contract. Tristan is a great offensive rebounder and can switch but 82 million. He can't score.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #198
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Sounds like Tristan Thompson without the shot blocking, defensive rebounds and the 82 million dollar contract. Tristan is a great offensive rebounder and can switch but 82 million. He can't score.
They didn't want to let him go because they couldn't replace him and want to win NOW.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #199
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Overall yes, but if you need rebounding and defense and rim protection, Biyombo is better.
Stronger, larger wing span and not afraid to use both hands and muscle- in the paint.

The Raps have rarely had one of these freaks.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #200
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
Stronger, larger wing span and not afraid to use both hands and muscle- in the paint.

The Raps have rarely had one of these freaks.
I remember when he was drafted, they called him a poor man's Serge Ibaka. Now Serge mostly thinks he is Kyle Korver. He used to be a Biyombo with a mid range game.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #201
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
They didn't want to let him go because they couldn't replace him and want to win NOW.
I would have let him sign his 1 year tender and worry about next year, next year. I see Delly gone next year and Love traded in 2 years if he doesn't get way better. Jr will be gone after next year also.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #202
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Sure, but when Lowry and Derozan aren't scoring the Raps are in trouble. The difference in defence and rebounding between Biyombo and Valanciunas is not nearly as big as the difference in offence and in free throw shooting.

JV was their most reliable player during the first round and the first two games against the Heat before he got hurt, as Lowry and Derozan were struggling with inconsistent play. No way they'd have won that Pacers series without him. He's a sub-30 minutes guy most of the time so they need to have their other bigs helping out anyway, but JV is definitely their best offensive post option and without that element it gets dicey for inside scoring.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #203
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is similar to the Thunder signing Kanter and Singler last year, and probably Waiters next year. Yes, they overpaid for Kanter and Singler too based on his stinky year, at least based on the current salary cap. That could change in a hurry next year and Kanter actually has been great anyway. But if you just let them go, you get nothing and can only fill your roster with scrap heap, minimum salary guys.

There is a huge advantage to overpaying to keep your own guys. It is the only way to get into the luxury tax, i.e. the best possible team, under the current format.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #204
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Sure, but when Lowry and Derozan aren't scoring the Raps are in trouble. The difference in defence and rebounding between Biyombo and Valanciunas is not nearly as big as the difference in offence and in free throw shooting.

JV was their most reliable player during the first round and the first two games against the Heat before he got hurt, as Lowry and Derozan were struggling with inconsistent play. No way they'd have won that Pacers series without him. He's a sub-30 minutes guy most of the time so they need to have their other bigs helping out anyway, but JV is definitely their best offensive post option and without that element it gets dicey for inside scoring.
I completely understand that can lead to trouble. I remember watching KD and Russ struggle against teams with both Perkins and Sefalosha on the court and to a lesser extent Ibaka. Ibaka can shoot but had little inside game, and still doesn't, and probably never will.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #205
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is similar to the Thunder signing Kanter and Singler last year, and probably Waiters next year. Yes, they overpaid for Kanter and Singler too based on his stinky year, at least based on the current salary cap. That could change in a hurry next year and Kanter actually has been great anyway. But if you just let them go, you get nothing and can only fill your roster with scrap heap, minimum salary guys.

There is a huge advantage to overpaying to keep your own guys. It is the only way to get into the luxury tax, i.e. the best possible team, under the current format.
The minute Lebron came back to Cleveland , Dan Gilbert's franchise nearly doubled. If he's worried about the luxury tax, which The Cavs already pay plenty. Then he needs to bail. Their local tv and radio contracts skyrocketed. I'm guessing sponsorship and ticket sales are way up too. It's the bad deals that piss me off. Thompson is a guy I want on my team but for half the price. He received no legit offers this year and wasn't going to be unrestricted until next year.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #206
RXB

Quote:
Thompson is a guy I want on my team but for half the price. He received no legit offers this year and wasn't going to be unrestricted until next year.
Don't know exactly why, but players drafted from the Toronto area haven't lived up to expectations for the most part. Thompson's okay but no great shakes for a fifth-year guy who was drafted #4; I agree that he's at least somewhat overpaid. At least he's not Stauskas.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #207
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Don't know exactly why, but players drafted from the Toronto area haven't lived up to expectations for the most part. Thompson's okay but no great shakes for a fifth-year guy who was drafted #4; I agree that he's at least somewhat overpaid. At least he's not Stauskas.
Or Bennett.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #208
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
The minute Lebron came back to Cleveland , Dan Gilbert's franchise nearly doubled. If he's worried about the luxury tax, which The Cavs already pay plenty. Then he needs to bail. Their local tv and radio contracts skyrocketed. I'm guessing sponsorship and ticket sales are way up too. It's the bad deals that piss me off. Thompson is a guy I want on my team but for half the price. He received no legit offers this year and wasn't going to be unrestricted until next year.
This is my point...they don't care about the tax or overpaying. If they don't overpay, he'll be gone and you can only replace him except with a scrap heap guy. I don't get why fans care when teams overpay. And again, it isn't really a bad deal unless instead of Thompson you want some guy like Kris Humphries or JaVale McGee instead.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #209
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is my point...they don't care about the tax or overpaying. If they don't overpay, he'll be gone and you can only replace him except with a scrap heap guy. I don't get why fans care when teams overpay. And again, it isn't really a bad deal unless instead of Thompson you want some guy like Kris Humphries or JaVale McGee instead.
my problem is the Love and Thompson contracts left them wth something like a 2 or 3 million to sign anyone else .Not even mid level. Picking up Frye was a huge coup though. Gives you everything and more that Love gives at a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately because of money and egos you still have to start and play Love big minutes. Losing Anderson Vs contract also helped. If the Cavs win friday then the panic will stop at least short term. Toronto was 200-1 to win the title just 4 days ago now they're 40-1.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #210
ronsmac

Cavs are favored by 10 1/2 tomorrow. Wow. Toronto is getting zero respect after finding a lot of holes in the Cavs defense.