Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
alexander99
Journeyman

Lightbulb Awesome E-Mail reply. Must read

Here is an e-mail reply from Joe Takach about the reality of beating this game consistently.

It is a great reality check, especially for those dreamers on here touting Computer Programs, and BS instant rating systems.

Here it is:

Hi Alexander,

Making a living at this game is a tall order and you must have "proprietary" betting information to do so.

I've been doing it now for over 30 years and will turn 61 in June.

The proprietary or "inside information" you need is gathered in the paddock to see a horse's race day physicality, as well as doing your own private research so that you have information that few others have.

I might mention that I drive 120 miles a day round trip to and from the 3 different tracks so that I can be on track every racing day.

I get up every morning at 4 am and rarely go to bed before 10 that night.

I put in at least 100 hours a week at this and my 5 staff members all work at least 70 hour weeks.

Getting the picture?

I've been around racehorses since I was 7. I exercised over 8,000 of them when I was in my late teens and learned this game from the bottom up.

This is the toughest game on the planet to beat on a consistent basis, but it can and is being done by those players willing to go the extra mile to get the right information.

My advice to you is to really think this through and make sure you are willing to put in at least 70 to 80 hour weeks.

If that's not a problem for you, go for it!

Have a good one,

Joe

Last edited by alexander99; 05-23-2007 at 04:41 PM.
alexander99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
alexander99
Journeyman

Thanks to Joe for this insightful e-mail.

He is a long-term winner,

and deserves much respect.

Continued success,
Alexander99
alexander99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

As much good information as Takach promotes, he gives out a lot from the far reaches of the moon as well. One of my particular favorites was his notion of watching what the trainer wears. Most trainers think they have a shot most of the time and won't TIP their hand by their clothing..They have to put the horse away and will dress accordingly unless it is a stakes contest.

It is my contention that many who write angles all the time simply run out of logical ones and then begin to nit-pick for the next article....It gets irrelevant after a bit.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-23-2007 at 05:03 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
boomman

Can Horseracing Be Beaten ???

Joe nailed it! If you outwork and outprepare your opponents, you will beat them on a consistent basis. It is amazing to me how many people don't get it, because it is as simple as that. Is it easy? No. Is it impossible? No. Do 99% of all people think this game is unbeatable? Yes....THEY WOULD BE WRONG!!

Boomer
Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
the_fat_man
Veteran

You guys go anything for the LAZY, FAT handicapper?

100 hours a week? damn, that's more time than I spend eating and laying around on the couch.

How do I win and not put in alot of work?

That would interest me.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
As much good information as Takach promotes, he gives out a lot from the far reaches of the moon as well. One of my particular favorites was his notion of watching what the trainer wears. Most trainers think they have a shot most of the time and won't TIP their hand by their clothing..They have to put the horse away and will dress accordingly unless it is a stakes contest.

It is my contention that many who write angles all the time simply run out of logical ones and then begin to nit-pick for the next article....It gets irrelevant after a bit.
Hello 46zilzal:

The trainers dress code has absolutely nothing to do with the way his or her horse runs. Your bigger racetracks most of the trainers dress appropriately and that's the way it should be. A trainer should look professional and act professional. I know some racetracks in the country where the trainer looks like the groom. One summer day this trainer wins a race and I noticed his owner was dressed with slacks and collored shirt while the trainer had shorts,tea-shirt (cut off sleeves) dirty ripped sneakers and a baseball cap. It just looked totally unprofessional. I wonder what happened when the owner got the photo and showed it to others.

Best regards,
Joe
jotb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal

I cut my teeth on handicapping at Delta Downs. Trust me, back in the day you'd better notice everything about everybody at the track. The owners, the trainers, the other handicappers, the jockeys, the shrimp rice vendor, the bartender. Everybody.

There was one group of owners who I'd guess had a 90+% win rate when in attendance.

There was a jockey whose "tell" was whether he threw down his cigarette before or after he mounted the horse. It was within the rules to smoke in the paddock, even aboard the horse, but not on the track. When he retained his cigarette, you could draw a big "X" in the program.

There are trainers who will hide to watch the race when they're going to lose.

I could go on and on.

If you find one of these things that works, my suggestion is to stay with it until it doesn't.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Ranchwest, that is a fine post. That kind of info money can't buy and the figure boys are trying to make sense of it. That is the reality of racing, especially on the leaky roof circuit.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander99
Here is an e-mail reply from Joe Takach about the reality of beating this game consistently.

It is a great reality check, especially for those dreamers on here touting Computer Programs, and BS instant rating systems.

Here it is:

Hi Alexander,

Making a living at this game is a tall order and you must have "proprietary" betting information to do so.

I've been doing it now for over 30 years and will turn 61 in June.

The proprietary or "inside information" you need is gathered in the paddock to see a horse's race day physicality, as well as doing your own private research so that you have information that few others have.

I might mention that I drive 120 miles a day round trip to and from the 3 different tracks so that I can be on track every racing day.

I get up every morning at 4 am and rarely go to bed before 10 that night.

I put in at least 100 hours a week at this and my 5 staff members all work at least 70 hour weeks.

Getting the picture?

I've been around racehorses since I was 7. I exercised over 8,000 of them when I was in my late teens and learned this game from the bottom up.

This is the toughest game on the planet to beat on a consistent basis, but it can and is being done by those players willing to go the extra mile to get the right information.

My advice to you is to really think this through and make sure you are willing to put in at least 70 to 80 hour weeks.

If that's not a problem for you, go for it!

Have a good one,

Joe

Hello Alexander:

I don't think that email you received is so impressive but at least he took the time to reply back to you. He should have gave you some pointers instead of telling you how many hours to put in each week if you want to succeed at this. Paddock inspection can be helpful but for the most part it's over-rated. I've seen horses over the years washed out dripping from the belly and win. Then there are times when you can see horses with teeth chatteriing and eyes rolling and win off the screen. For me I rather watch horses warm up then to focus on the paddock. If you are willing to put the time into paddock inspection it's best to take notes on each horse for several races to find differences in appearance each time they are ready to run. Take notes for equipment changes like the different types of bits, or maybe a change to a figure 8. If you have a horse coming off a layoff and want to see if he's fit enough look at the belly. Anyway, if your interested in body language there is a few book out there as well as videos that can help some. The best way to learn is to be at the racetrack each day taking notes like I said and don't rush into the wagering part until you feel confident enough that you have a handle on this.

Good luck,
Joe
jotb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotb
Hello Alexander:

I don't think that email you received is so impressive but at least he took the time to reply back to you. He should have gave you some pointers instead of telling you how many hours to put in each week if you want to succeed at this. Paddock inspection can be helpful but for the most part it's over-rated. I've seen horses over the years washed out dripping from the belly and win. Then there are times when you can see horses with teeth chatteriing and eyes rolling and win off the screen. For me I rather watch horses warm up then to focus on the paddock. If you are willing to put the time into paddock inspection it's best to take notes on each horse for several races to find differences in appearance each time they are ready to run. Take notes for equipment changes like the different types of bits, or maybe a change to a figure 8. If you have a horse coming off a layoff and want to see if he's fit enough look at the belly. Anyway, if your interested in body language there is a few book out there as well as videos that can help some. The best way to learn is to be at the racetrack each day taking notes like I said and don't rush into the wagering part until you feel confident enough that you have a handle on this.

Good luck,
Joe
Takach doesn't limit his suggestions to the paddock. He covers those areas you mentioned.

Like any form of handicapping, it isn't 100% foolproof. There's always the head scratchers.

My problem with Takach is that he gets really excited about 16% factors. He makes it sound like 16% is a sure thing. One has to keep in mind that 16% is about a 50% advantage, but it isn't a sure thing.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Tape Reader

A favorite bartender of mine in the Jim Dandy room, at Saratoga, pointed out to me a particular trainer that “dresses properly” when his horses are in contention.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #12
Good4Now

I have a friend

who used to live in Arkansas. He went to Oaklawn as often as he could. Got to recognize the jockey's wives and would look to see who was making their way to the apron around the winner's circle as the horses headed for the starting gate.
Good4Now is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
Ron

Alexander, what was your email to Joe?
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Now
who used to live in Arkansas. He went to Oaklawn as often as he could. Got to recognize the jockey's wives and would look to see who was making their way to the apron around the winner's circle as the horses headed for the starting gate.
G4N,
Your post gave me a good chuckle , until I realized just how disturbing it really is !!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #15
NY BRED
GARY

Joe T

a really good guy, but my handicapping advice is:

If you are driving 100+ miles a day, time to consider a hybrid (or motorcycle)or
your net profit will soon be turning red based upon rising fuel costs
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply