Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #151
classhandicapper

I don't think this was a good enough effort to think CC has a huge shot in the Classic at 10F even if you think he was short or uncomfortable inside. He looks like a horse that peaked in the early spring after a huge move forward. We've probably seen the best (or close to the best) of him that we are ever going to see.

The thing that bummed me is that I liked Tapiture a bit going into the race because he was on the worst part of the track vs. Candy Boy last time out (mentioned earlier in the thread). A lot of people were looking at the nose finish and Candy Boy being wide not realizing that Tapiture actually had the worst of it inside. But I saw no way to play him from the outside on this track. He ran well for second. That horse is slowly coming around again.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #152
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
Only Tom could call a race where a horse set a track record a "crap" race.
Well, track record or not, 47 and 1:10 in a 9f race isn't crap, maybe not the great, considering the speed on the rail, but certainly not crap.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #153
pele polo

Absolute BS how the other riders were too busy playing defense by keeping Chrome stuck in rail that they let Bayern walk away with this one.

I'm still not overly impressed with Bayern.he has distance limitation and has showed some phoniness.

Not sure Espinoza even had the horse today to challenge Bayern on lead.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #154
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Sounds like he's saying CC ran a crap race.
Well, you don't find out if the horse runs like crap unless you run him.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #155
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Come on, he wasn't winning in any case. He didn't have the horse today. It isn't like he finished 3rd beaten a length and a half. C J's Awesome beat him.
Menifee is right, which means you are wrong; but I won't say that. I think when California Chrome is boxed in like that he gets so stressed that he uses up all his energy. That is why he faded late. If he is in front or on the outside he is running relaxed and would have plenty of reserves for the stretch.

He was in perfect position if Espinosa had just let him run.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #156
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
Absolute BS how the other riders were too busy playing defense by keeping Chrome stuck in rail that they let Bayern walk away with this one.

I'm still not overly impressed with Bayern.he has distance limitation and has showed some phoniness.

Not sure Espinoza even had the horse today to challenge Bayern on lead.
All you can do is hope they send him to the Classic (which they won't). He's a really fast sprinter/miler. He can put up huge figures going long when he gets his own way. On an honest track with quality pressure going long I think he'll prove to be more ordinary. I saw nothing today that changed my view on him. You file it away and wait to make a play against him eventually.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-20-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #157
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Menifee is right, which means you are wrong; but I won't say that. I think when California Chrome is boxed in like that he gets so stressed that he uses up all his energy. That is why he faded late. If he is in front or on the outside he is running relaxed and would have plenty of reserves for the stretch.

He was in perfect position if Espinosa had just let him run.
OK, but I still get to keep all the money, right?

Maybe he doesn't like running inside, that is fine. But if he tries to go wire to wire against Bayern, he might finish last. If he moves off the rail to the outside, he gives up the golden rail that was pretty apparent today. I don't think either of those options was putting him in the winner's circle.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #158
ArlJim78

Didn't see the race so I don't know what transpired, but knowing that CC finished off the board I think you have seen his last race.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #159
TheEdge07
Veteran

Any word from the CC owners...

Maybe he felt only horses who ran in the triple crown races shouldve showned up in the PA Derby..just sayin
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #160
Dark Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
Only Tom could call a race where a horse set a track record a "crap" race.
A track record that stood for 40 years.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #161
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
OK, but I still get to keep all the money, right?

Maybe he doesn't like running inside, that is fine. But if he tries to go wire to wire against Bayern, he might finish last. If he moves off the rail to the outside, he gives up the golden rail that was pretty apparent today. I don't think either of those options was putting him in the winner's circle.
I agree, he wasn't going to win this race unless several horses fell down, and maybe not even then. He had the rail, where he could save lots of energy, and yet he faded badly. I don't buy the "he doesn't like the rail" stuff, he just couldn't run his best today. Maybe, if he comes out of the race ok, and they actually run in the BC, maybe then he acquits himself better, but I find it hard to imagine him winning it.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #162
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
Great line on twitter

CC is the kid who got his growth spurt and a mustache at 12 yrs old.
+1
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #163
TheEdge07
Veteran

CJ-OK, but I still get to keep all the money, right?

Classic...
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #164
Dark Horse

Bayern, Chrome, Shared Belief.

Who said California racing was dead?

Can't wait for the Breeder's Cup.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #165
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

That's the way I see it.

In all honestly, when I woke up this morning my intention was to key on Tapiture in the exacta and tri and key against Bayern as the 2nd choice in at least the exacta. I was neutral on CC and would have used him to save.

When I saw the way the track was playing I knew I couldn't play Tapiture because I saw no way for him to work out a good trip from outside. I also became more negative against CC. It's well know he doesn't like to be inside horses and the only alternative was to be outside horses on the worse part of track. It was a predicament.

I did not bet the race because it's hard for me to mentally do a 180 and get on the horse (Bayern) I intended to key against because of the track, but I suspected that after the race I would be kicking myself for that particular mental flaw.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-20-2014 at 06:36 PM.