Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #61
46zilzal
velocitician

With the "pulses" coming in from other places across the country, this method cannot hold the answers that it once did. Up on the simulcast control room, I see how these pulses are added to the pools and they are uneven to say the least.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #62
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
With the "pulses" coming in from other places across the country, this method cannot hold the answers that it once did. Up on the simulcast control room, I see how these pulses are added to the pools and they are uneven to say the least.
On what basis can you make such a statement? Did you used to be a toteboard handicapper? Did you used to get "answers" from the tote, and now those answers don't appear anymore?

These generalized statements from a non-expert aren't very helpful. Obviously, the tote holds answers for SOME FOLKS, just not you. I would think that uneven "pulses" would actually tell you MORE than an even stream of pulses....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #63
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
IMO computers offer the tote board reader advantages that he only dreamed about in the past. I can now spend my time handicaping the tote board without being a slave to the chart paper.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #64
thespaah

i do it... of course I use the tote as a supplement to handicapping from the PP's.. I check the exacta probables for anomolies...I look to see if longer shots are dominating the exacta probs..That's a sure sign that the horse with higer odds is a worth a play..some hanicappers recommend betting these exacta underalys to win..I do that sometimes.I will also include them in my exotics as well.

Another thing is if you can be patient and wait until near post time to bet, do so..late money coming in from wise guys and internet players is usually dead giveaway that a particular horse is live..I never bet more than 5 mins to post and usually I wait until 1 or 2 mins to post...Sometimes i get burned by betting the tote. But more often than not I can get pretty good info by watching the numbers..
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #65
thespaah

yeah really..the ML guy is just the person the track hired to render an opinion of how a horse matches up against the others the racing secreatry writes the race for.

The track handicapper is a public handicapper just like th guys in the newspaper or the various other PP publications..

If I see a say 5/2 ML fav being ignored to say 4 or 5-1. I will include that horse in my wagers.But only if that horse looks good on paper..But in certain cases I will go with the public and toss. For example.. No way am I betting a 4/5 shot in a $15k maiden claimer..That's a terrible favorite..If by chance that horse beats me, so be it.
The bottom line is while I don't try to play beat the favorite on every race, I view wagering on horses as a search for value. A legit favorite is a legit favorite and I will use them. However if my ROI is going ot be so crummy as in the example above I will indeed look elsewhere in the field for a value play..I will simply cut back on my investment for that race race..
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #66
thespaah

If I were in your shoes I would tell them to go take their eltitist, arrogant naysaying and piss up a tree..This is a forum. A free exchenge of ideas and opinions..
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #67
thespaah

I never let that happen..When I use the tote to help out I don't eliminate one selection on paper and replace it with a "tote live" horse. I just add the selection from the tote observation to my existing plays.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #68
eqitec

Toteboard Charters

See the attached for the extent to which I watch the board within my software. This is an actual race from today. I've left the name of the track and the horses out so anyone interested can try to pick the top 3 from the board. (the projected odds line is my own). After a couple of days I'll post the name of the track and the top 3 finishers.

Attached Images
File Type: png OVL091507.png (18.8 KB, 316 views)
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #69
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqitec
See the attached
You have some strange ML figures there...
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #70
JPinMaryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Some people really enjoy my analogies, so here's another one: this is like complaining that people give you a hard time when you tell them you have video of the loch ness monster, when you haven't shown them any footage yet.
I can understand that, I gave up posting my Nessie videos a long time ago.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #71
Spiderman

Quote:
See the attached for the extent to which I watch the board within my software. This is an actual race from today. I've left the name of the track and the horses out so anyone interested can try to pick the top 3 from the board. (the projected odds line is my own). After a couple of days I'll post the name of the track and the top 3 finishers.
I'll play: 7,12,13 arae the 'live' horses.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #72
ernie simons

Quote:
Looks like you're missing a few tote ticks. What happened to the 5 minutes between 15 & 10 mtp? Did none of these odds change in that 5 minutes?
Assuming there are 13 horses running, it must be a route. And judging by the odds on the board, not much class running. And since you have ticks missing from the tote, I'm guessing none of these "live" horses finished on top. My guess is all long shots itm. And your point is watching the tote board is folly??

-George Augustus Sala (1828-95) English writer and journalist
ernie simons is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #73
JPinMaryland

$5 exacta: box 13/9
Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #74
eqitec

Toteboard Charters

The toteboard chart I displayed was from the 7th race at Kempton (UK) on Saturday. Which explains the unusual morning lines.
For those who noticed no odds changes, that's because I don't always get the changes for every interval. In which case I just copy the odds from the previous interval point and go on to the next one.
For those who took a shot, the race finish was 13-12. The $1 exacta paid $77. This was a 2 mile race, and the winner got 23 lbs from the favorite. Funny that it's name was "Featherlite".
In my opinion, following the toteboard action is both very interesting and essential, especially for spotting horses to include in the exotics. Most of my good exotic scores have come from a mixture of good handicapping and inclusion of longshots which got unexplainable betting action.

Last edited by eqitec; 09-18-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Mistake made
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #75
JPinMaryland

Dammit I knew I shouldnt have gone vertical!