Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
JWBurnie

Love it live.

I try to attend live racing as often as possible. Closest track is CT, 45 minutes away. Over the past year I've attended live racing at a half dozen tracks, total of 75 dates or so. However, at the track, I don't wager anywhere near as much as I do when at home. At the track, too many distractions, little room and inconsiderate bettors while at the windows. At home, its stress free (depending on the day), all the information you need at your fingertips and rarely get shot out. I was at CT yesterday, as usual on a nice day/night (Fri., Sat., Sun.), place was packed. You can't even find a seat outside unless you want to grab some concrete.
JWBurnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
how cliche
How Cliche

Call me cheap. The only reason I go to live races is because I love live racing. The cost effectiveness is bad there. $7 for parking. $5 for admission. $2 for a program. $10 to $30 for lunch. I can play from home and forego all those costs.

Call me a sucker. Bay Meadows is a lame duck track now. I don't get over there very often, once a meeting if there's something worth seeing(Smokey Stover, LITF, SFBCMile, etc). When at GGF I come out 3 times a month. Most every year I'll fly out a couple of times for big days at various tracks, because it's fun.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
midnight

I've been to a racetrack exactly twice since 1997.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #19
SignUpKing
Journeyman

Santa Anita Turf Club

I like the Turf Club at Santa Anita. Very few people. Easy to find a table in a corner with luxurious surroundings. But . . . $20 to get in, and $10 for valet parking. Not a good financial choice, is it?

PTC or YouBet, here I come!
SignUpKing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #20
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobeyerspls
Then it's back and forth to catch the simulcast races and a trip or two to the paddock to watch them in the walking ring.
That's one of the things I appreciate most about going to Monmouth in season ... it's the only summer exercize I get!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
RaceBookJoe

I love going to the track but dont get to go much anymore. I do make it back for a few days at Saratoga each year but thats it. I love the atmosphere, but economically it just doenst cut it anymore. At Saratoga ie... $5 to park, $3 to get in, $2 for the program, $5 for the form ,$3 for water. I live in vegas where i get everything for free, including alcoholic drinks if I want one when I am done betting for the day. I still might fly to CA and catch a day at Santa Anita during Oak Tree but thats the extent.
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBookJoe
I love going to the track but dont get to go much anymore. I do make it back for a few days at Saratoga each year but thats it. I love the atmosphere, but economically it just doenst cut it anymore. At Saratoga ie... $5 to park, $3 to get in, $2 for the program, $5 for the form ,$3 for water. I live in vegas where i get everything for free, including alcoholic drinks if I want one when I am done betting for the day. I still might fly to CA and catch a day at Santa Anita during Oak Tree but thats the extent.
Out of the $18 that you're spending, you could easily knock off $9 to $10 a day on expenses. You don't need a program nor a DRF because you can print and download the pp's from brisnet for as little as a buck (I would only buy a DRF or program if I was planning on betting on the simulcasts and didn't want to use up all of my printer ink.) Plus, if you want a scratch sheet with the numbers and jockeys (which the brisnet sheets would have as well,) you could go to www.nycotb.com and click on Calendar/Profiles. In addition, you should stick two bottles of water in a bag and bring it with you. Over the course of a Saratoga meet, that's up to $360 in savings!

Last edited by Zman179; 09-03-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #23
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
By the way stay at home guys, I'm going to the "Big T" today, that's Timonium, to watch the 5/8 mile guys go round in circles. Eat your hearts out.
Believe it or not, that's my favorite track on the East Coast; it's such a cozy track with the action up close and personal (crab cakes + drf = winner!) I was going to go this weekend, but I just wasn't quite up to the 6 hour round-trip drive. Next year for sure.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I used to have to drive down the GM plant in Baltimore a lot for work - I always tried to make sure one trip was during Tim's meet. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn around the corner. Now that is a track!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
Grits

Its understandable when one lives far from a racetrack, that yes, it is difficult to go. Though the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away. Between New York and Kentucky, this year, I've probably spent at least 6 weeks trackside. In the past, more than that.

For those of you that prefer watching on the screen from home--to live horseracing, while you are putting good size sums of money into your wagering, and I assume most of you are, as you all talk the game 24/7--you are cheap, in the worst of ways.

There are no other major sports that are as inexpensive as a day at the racetrack. None come to mind. This includes: a round of golf at your favorite Club--along with the yearly dues you may be paying, season ticketholders or one time tickets to ANY major sporting event such as golf, tennis, hockey, NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball, NASCAR . Any others.

I'd be mighty ashamed to complain about the price of admission, of parking, of a program, of a DRF, of a bite to eat.

This isn't seen as simply cheap, this borders on pathetic. And being told on a major horseracing site . . . wow. Stuns me.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #26
sjk

The main problem is that from most seats at major race tracks it is extremely inconvenient to bet multiple tracks which is what on-line players want to do.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
ernie simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Its understandable when one lives far from a racetrack, that yes, it is difficult to go. Though the closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away. Between New York and Kentucky, this year, I've probably spent at least 6 weeks trackside. In the past, more than that.

For those of you that prefer watching on the screen from home--to live horseracing, while you are putting good size sums of money into your wagering, and I assume most of you are, as you all talk the game 24/7--you are cheap, in the worst of ways.

There are no other major sports that are as inexpensive as a day at the racetrack. None come to mind. This includes: a round of golf at your favorite Club--along with the yearly dues you may be paying, season ticketholders or one time tickets to ANY major sporting event such as golf, tennis, hockey, NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball, NASCAR . Any others.

I'd be mighty ashamed to complain about the price of admission, of parking, of a program, of a DRF, of a bite to eat.

This isn't seen as simply cheap, this borders on pathetic. And being told on a major horseracing site . . . wow. Stuns me.
Actually, we've always considered a day at the track damn cheap entertainment. Our family has always enjoyed a day at the track. Besides, it ain't expensive anyway if the cost comes outta your winnings.

-George Augustus Sala (1828-95) English writer and journalist
ernie simons is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #28
Dave Schwartz

IMHO, horse racing is the ulitmate intellectual challenge. It is chess with a thousand opponents; a shooting gallery that shoots back.

In order to attack such a challenge properly (with the hope of a positive outcome) one must be able to use all of the high-caliber weapons and power tools in their arsenal.

Currently, that is much more difficult to do at the track than it is at home via the internet.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #29
melman

Grits---All the major sports you mentioned have as a HUGE MAJORITY PEOPLE watching the event from HOME. Must be a lot of cheap, pathetic complainers out there. As they say "if it ain't on TV it does not exist".
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
dylbert
Turf Economist

Louisiana Traveling Man

I live in middle part of Louisiana so I make a few excursions each year. Local OTB closed in August 2006 - more mismanagement than poor attendance.

2 hours to Louisiana Downs -- visit there most frequently as I once lived there & still have relatives in region. Will head to LaD for Super Derby on September 22...

1 hour to Evangeline Downs -- night racing is OK & EvD thoroughbred season closes tonight. Looking forward to turf course next year...

2-1/2 hours to Delta Downs -- attended last year's Delta Jackpot and was pleasantly surprised how nice facility is. Fans and track personnel were very friendly. I had $20 bill that was not taking (new one) and gentleman at next machine handed me another bill and said "try this one". That doesn't happen at track everyday. Going back first Friday in December for this year's Delta Jackpot...

3-1/2 hours to Fair Grounds -- grand dame of southern racing, 3rd oldest track in North America. I try to make one trip in each month of meet, January-March. February Louisiana Derby Preview Day has had excellent card last two years. In March, Louisiana Derby is fantastic day at the races. Ladies in hats, Bloody Marys, corned beef sandwiches and great card of races topped by Louisiana Derby for 3YOs.

I am not from the house bettor yet because I still enjoy people, food, sounds and smells of being at the track.