Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #61
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yeah, the old "someone" should do "something" deal.
"They" need to take of this.

Maybe we need to start a "national conversation," or "form a committee" to look into "it".

There, that was EZ.
Well, the government certainly isn't doing anything about it. I'm still amazed that more schools don't have security and metal detectors. A friend of mine told me yesterday that his New Jersey high school put in metal detectors 45 years ago. Back then it was to stop kids from carrying knives.

Even though I think tougher gun laws would help, I do think that it won't help enough and that the schools have to check for weapons. If my children were still in school, I would not be comfortable without it. This problem is only going to get worse.

It reminds me of plane hijackings in the mid 60's. 130 planes were hijacked in a four year period. I was a teenager and I couldn't believe that the airlines and gov't just let these criminals get away with it. Alll they had to do was put locks on the cockpit doors and that would have stopped most of it. And then we got 9/11. That's what happens when you let criminals get their way.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #62
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m saying he will get the gun anyway. That white kid from the suburb can get a gun as easy as anybody else, because he has cash. That’s all that matters. I worked as a cop in SoCal and in the suburbs in Ohio. When it comes to criminal tools, cash is king. If they want a gun, they will get it. But don’t take my word for it.....I only spent 15 years taking illegal guns off the street.

Here’s an interesting note

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...ground-checks/
That's interesting since you were a cop, and I don't doubt it's true in some areas and instances. I don't know how much an AR-15 cost on the street, but in some neighborhoods if an 18 year old white kid has $500 in his pocket and goes walking around trying to buy a gun, he probably has a better chance of getting robbed and beaten than he has of buying a gun. The only people who have cash in their pocket in those areas already have a gun, or are in a gang. I know in East New York, where I grew up, you did not walk around the street with money in your pocket.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #63
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
But since you're an expert, explain to us how the background check system works. You think the current system is adequate, right?

Say I want to buy a gun from you, and you want to sell it to me. Is there a background check involved in that transaction? Does it depend on what state (geographical, not mental) I'm in?
No gun control on the Federal level will occur in your lifetime, face it and the fact that in realty is that there is no wind at your back just because of this last horrible thing that happened. Soon enough something even more horrible will occur without guns, maybe not in the United States. Exactly where and when is a crap shoot to guess but not that something will. Getting a grip on young minds might seem a tough task to some, but may prove much easier than other things we will face in the next few years.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #64
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The background check system is a ruse to compile a gun registry. It’s screwed up half the time. I know several people that were denied purchases for no reason. Including one who was told "your name is too common for an accurate check”

The 2nd Amendment is a right. Do you need a background check to exercise your 1st amendment rights? Hell no. Constitutional carry and purchase should be the law. It supersedes the states. Yet our stupid court system and State legislators think they know better. Americans have the right to own-possess guns. They also have the right to do so wherever they want.

I am personally being disarmed today because I want to attend a concert. The venue restricts my rights, even with a CCW permit, to carry my weapon inside their building because they make over 51% of their revenue from alcohol. This is a law they abide by.

Even though there is tons of evidence that CCW-LTC types commit almost no crime. The legislator cooks up this law to allow lefty venues to enforce their views. This will be the last concert I attend there. I didn’t know before I bought a suite of seats.

The bottom line is bad guys will get their guns no matter what. Whether they are criminals or pissed off high school kids. If you’re motivated enough to walk into a school and kill, you will damn sure find a way to get a gun.
What if, say, a guy beats his wife and gives her a concussion and a few broken bones. Should he be allowed to buy a gun?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #65
fast4522

JR, NO air should be given to these gun grabbers or their stupid poll.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #66
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
No gun control on the Federal level will occur in your lifetime
It already did, the Assault Weapon Ban of 1994. It expired after 10 years and was not renewed because of public opposition and because it was totally ineffective.

Quote:
In 2003, the Task Force on Community Preventive Services, an independent, non-federal task force, examined an assortment of firearms laws, including the AWB, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence". A 2004 critical review of firearms research by a National Research Council committee said that an academic study of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence outcomes".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...he_legislation
Old 02-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #67
pandy

Quote:
No gun control on the Federal level will occur in your lifetime, face it and the fact that in realty is that there is no wind at your back just because of this last horrible thing that happened. Soon enough something even more horrible will occur without guns, maybe not in the United States. Exactly where and when is a crap shoot to guess but not that something will. Getting a grip on young minds might seem a tough task to some, but may prove much easier than other things we will face in the next few years.
Clinton did pass the assault rifle ban. I think it depends on the voters. The next time the dems get control of congress they may pass gun control.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #68
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Clinton did pass the assault rifle ban. I think it depends on the voters. The next time the dems get control of congress they may pass gun control.
Think about it, you live in a state that half of the left wing is packing. The third rail is alive and charged.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #69
pandy

Quote:
Think about it, you live in a state that half of the left wing is packing. The third rail is alive and charged.
This poll seems like a good barometer, 50/50 split. But if children keep getting gun down in schools, that could change. Even if the gun rights advocates are correct and tougher gun laws won't help at all, once the public gets to 58% or so for tougher gun laws, then the politicians will do what they have to do to keep their jobs. I do know quite a few gun owners who still think we should have tougher gun laws, not everyone who owns a gun thinks the current laws are smart.

Last edited by pandy; 02-17-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #70
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
There were schools back then, right? There were kids back then, right? There were guns back then, right?

It's not the guns.
Maybe it was the guns that stopped them back then.
Everyone carried and everyone knew it.

Did we have an gun-free zones back then?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #71
Mulerider

Quote:
What if, say, a guy beats his wife and gives her a concussion and a few broken bones. Should he be allowed to buy a gun?
One of the questions on the ATF Form 4413 that is used when purchasing a firearm is "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence?"

A felony is an automatic disqualifier. I have no idea if a misdemeanor conviction is reported to NICS.

For those interested who've never purchased a firearm, here is the form that every purchaser of a new firearm from a licensed dealer must complete. Once the form is completed, the dealer phones the information to the NICS data center, where the instant background check is conducted.

ATF Form 4413

Personally, it is my belief (and I'm about as anti-gun control as one can get), that the mass shooting phenomenon can best be addressed by expanding on Par. 11(f) regarding mental health. It has become increasingly apparent that psychotropic drugs are a causal factor in a very high percentage of these events. However, due to HIPAA laws, the reporting from prescribing physicians to NICS could be problematic.

Mule
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #72
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Pandy,
We had school shootings during 0bama - and they had both houses to boot. no common sense laws were passed.

WHERE WERE NANCY and CHUCKIE back then, horsey, Dan?

WHY did the dems let the nation down by FAILING to take advantage of the power they held to pass common sense gun laws?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #73
Clocker

Quote:
This poll seems like a good barometer, 50/50 split. But if children keep getting gun down in schools, that could change. Even if the gun rights advocates are correct and tougher gun laws won't help at all, once the public gets to 58% or so for tougher gun laws, then the politicians will do what they have to do to keep their jobs.
You forget that the NRA owns Congress. At least that's what I keeping hearing from the Chicken Littles on the gun issue.

The fact is that when gun control is at issue, a lot of people in red states become one-issue voters, based on a candidate's stand on gun control. On the other hand, those in favor of gun control are less likely to be one-issue voters and less likely to vote against a candidate solely because of a pro-gun stance.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #74
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Pandy,
We had school shootings during 0bama - and they had both houses to boot. no common sense laws were passed.

WHERE WERE NANCY and CHUCKIE back then, horsey, Dan?

WHY did the dems let the nation down by FAILING to take advantage of the power they held to pass common sense gun laws?
Yep, Nancy, Reid, they didn't come through for the libs on this matter, no doubt about that, I agree with you. But, if the polls were different that would change and if children keep getting shot, the polls will change, even if tougher gun laws won't help.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #75
fast4522

Quote:
This poll seems like a good barometer, 50/50 split. But if children keep getting gun down in schools, that could change. Even if the gun rights advocates are correct and tougher gun laws won't help at all, once the public gets to 58% or so for tougher gun laws, then the politicians will do what they have to do to keep their jobs. I do know quite a few gun owners who still think we should have tougher gun laws, not everyone who owns a gun thinks the current laws are smart.
I think the focus will shift to higher quality education evolving into a better grasp of helping all students grow into healthy productive young people. Spotting problem students and rounding them whole instead of just tossing out clunkers. Schools that do not measure up to better standards should lose funding fast, we have to look into the mirror and see that the problem is us in our thirst for mediocre performance.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: