Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #256
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
A list of the known horses pulled from kill lots, courtesy of Maggi Moss:

2/10/15 Jaylofromthegetgo Shelton Zenon
5/10/15 Pastor P's Pulpit Shelton Zenon
11/10/16 Imstillkickin Charles Zenon
11/20/16 HerecomesJohnny Benjamin Zeno ( found dead w maggots and being beaten by kids w bricks)
11/29/16 Mr Rail Charles Zenon
3/13//17 Lees Soldier Benjamin Zeno
5/1/17 Flower Angel Charles Zenon
6/23/17 Tee Top Cat Benjamin Zeno
6/24/17 Lunar Pals Mission Charles Zenon
6/26/17 Know you Now Charles Zenon
7/16/17 Cajun Curahee Charles Zenon
10/1/17 Big Top Speed Shelton Zenon
5/23/18 Super Chase Shelton Zenon (ran 5/3/18 evangeline)
5/23/18 Skin Deep Benjamin Zeno ( ran 5/5/18 evangeline)

And the Louisiana State Racing Commission has no problem with licensing these people.
I can barely read these w/out getting sick to my stomach.

What can *we* do? Maggie Moss has prestige and power...but w/out a national centralized racing authority, and each track "doing what they want" how this can be fixed.

Already suffered thru all those years of truly disgusting stuff going on at Penn Nat. I just don't wager on the tracks that do this stuff (which is something w/in my power), but you'd think that just the sheer pressure from above-board people and tracks would be able to effect some kind of pressure here?

Horseplayers are going to support these tracks by wagering at them (to make a few bucks?) There are calls for boycotting tracks due to high take out, but what about boycotting due to literal "torture" and "cruel and inhumane treatment" of the actual horses in our sport?

These tracks should be treated as what they are.....black eyes on the sport ---- sewers----and nobody should be supporting them.

I personally could not live w/myself if a horse I made $20 on was beaten or starved and had maggots on them a week or so after racing, and / or showed up in the kill lot with their racing plates still on w/abraded lips to erase tattoo, etc.

Horse players need to be vocal about this stuff and also show it with their wallets!

Last edited by clicknow; 05-27-2018 at 12:02 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #257
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I can barely read these w/out getting sick to my stomach.

What can *we* do? Maggie Moss has prestige and power...but w/out a national centralized racing authority, and each track "doing what they want" how this can be fixed.
Ms. Moss has been fighting this battle for years. She and I differ on the economics of the bail/anti-bail argument, but in the larger scheme of things that's like a minor family disagreement. We're all on the same side here.

Two weeks ago Ms. Moss started a petition targeting the inhumane and illegal treatment of horses at Thompson's Kill Lot in Pitkin and Stanley Brothers' in Bastrop. She will deliver this petition in person to the highest level of Louisiana government that she can. Her goal was 5,000 signatures. As of this morning it has 52,588. I respectfully ask PA members interested in this issue to sign it here:

A Petition to the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General

Thanks everyone,

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #258
Mulerider

30 new Thoroughbreds at Thompson's

The following appeared last night on Thompson's Direct Ship page:

https://www.facebook.com/Thompson-Di...4874266372264/

Thompson Direct Ship Horses was live.
Yesterday at 8:48pm ·
🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇
30 Thoroughbreds!
🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇
24 of them are fresh off the track!
2 are yearling colts!
4 mares are in foal!
🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇

Bail: $900 each

To donate towards a reprieve please send donations via PayPal goods and services option to: longlivecowtraders@yahoo.com.

To purchase please call Jacob at 318–481–8588
Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #259
Mulerider

30 thoroughbreds on the trailer to Mexico...

For whatever reason, presumably the magnitude of the challenge, no organization was able to step up for these. Shipped around 4 p.m. today.

On a brighter note, an owner named Reginald Thomas contacted Dina Alborino this morning to donate his horse, COULEE QUE, that was scheduled to start at Evangeline next Friday but suffered a slight injury. Mr. Thomas had been using as his trainer SHELTON ZENON, one of Louisiana's top three horse dumpers.

Further, Mr. Thomas stated that while Shelton Zenon had previously arranged to find "homes" for two of his other horses, he now suspects they went to slaughter.

COULEE QUE's donation is a very small step, but at least it's in the right direction.

I'm told that Thompson does keep an eye on the internet, so I'd just like to say, in case he's discovered PA: Up yours, Jacob.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #260
clicknow

Quote:
I respectfully ask PA members interested in this issue to sign it here:

A Petition to the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General
THIS.

Also, no way I am sending $$ to "Jacob" for reprieves, I could not bring myself to put $$ directly into his pocket.

Can you provide again the paypal sites of dina or rescuer groups who can use the money to "spring" these horses.....I'm sure we'll all be FLUSH with funds after the Belmont Stakes.

I just will not send directly to a killer.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #261
Mulerider

Quote:
THIS.

Also, no way I am sending $$ to "Jacob" for reprieves, I could not bring myself to put $$ directly into his pocket.

Can you provide again the paypal sites of dina or rescuer groups who can use the money to "spring" these horses.....I'm sure we'll all be FLUSH with funds after the Belmont Stakes.

I just will not send directly to a killer.
Oh, come on clicknow. Where's your compassion? Jacob may need that money to bail his aunt, uncle, and cousin out of jail after they were arrested this week for cattle theft over $1 million.

Jacob spent a little jail time here in Texas for the same thing a few years ago. Looks like the Thompson gene pool could use a little bleach.

(And here's the link to icareihelp)

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry
June 4 at 3:08pm ·
Update: Third Arrest Made in Cattle Rustling Ring

Baton Rouge, La. (June 4, 2018) – A third suspect is in custody in connection with stealing livestock valued at more than $1 million from four Louisiana livestock markets.

Thirty-nine year old Justin Thompson of Hinston, La., was booked into the Allen Parish Jail this afternoon. Thompson’s parents, 68 year old Ricky Thompson and 69 year old Wanda Thompson of Pitkin, La., were booked Friday on six counts of theft of property having a value of $25,000 or more.

Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry Brand Commission investigators say the thefts occurred between August - October 2017. Louisiana has eight public livestock markets where producers can sell their livestock. Investigators say four of the eight livestock markets were targeted by the Thompsons. Those sale barns are located in Allen, Avoyelles, East Baton Rouge and St. Landry parishes.

No bond has been set. If convicted, the Thompsons face extensive jail time.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #262
Mulerider

A small step in the right direction...

Quote:
A list of the known horses pulled from kill lots, courtesy of Maggi Moss:

2/10/15 Jaylofromthegetgo Shelton Zenon
5/10/15 Pastor P's Pulpit Shelton Zenon
11/10/16 Imstillkickin Charles Zenon
11/20/16 HerecomesJohnny Benjamin Zeno ( found dead w maggots and being beaten by kids w bricks)
11/29/16 Mr Rail Charles Zenon
3/13//17 Lees Soldier Benjamin Zeno
5/1/17 Flower Angel Charles Zenon
6/23/17 Tee Top Cat Benjamin Zeno
6/24/17 Lunar Pals Mission Charles Zenon
6/26/17 Know you Now Charles Zenon
7/16/17 Cajun Curahee Charles Zenon
10/1/17 Big Top Speed Shelton Zenon
5/23/18 Super Chase Shelton Zenon (ran 5/3/18 evangeline)
5/23/18 Skin Deep Benjamin Zeno ( ran 5/5/18 evangeline)

And the Louisiana State Racing Commission has no problem with licensing these people.
The social media pressure of naming known offenders seems to be having some effect. Last night Dina Alborano tweeted the following, after having been contacted by Shelton Zenon, one of the worst horse dumpers in Louisiana as evidenced by the post above and earlier ones in this thread. This is how it should be done.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #263
jay68802

I got to admit, WOW, maybe a few horsemen in LA have gotten a clue. About time for some good news from this situation.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #264
clicknow

Love the "horses I want to move out" euphemism.

How many per month/year is he "moving out"?

So now he just makes a call and the horses are taken off his hands. What is the cost to HIM? Someobdy else has to pay for and clean up his mess?

I think that any trainer/owner with horses showing up in the kill lot DIRECTLY after racing for them should be denied barn space at tracks and of course have their license investigated.

Because these people are just taking a horse's last breath so to speak. If the horse has anything left to give they are like the vultures who pick their bones clean

Social media pressure does nothing to these types. They are not moved by compassion or shame. Consquences and punishment is the ONLY way to deter them and their ilk.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-25-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #265
clicknow

"And the Louisiana State Racing Commission has no problem with licensing these people....."

Given all the $$ in racing and all the so called super trainers and powerful wealthy people in the industry, they are unable to do anything about any of this, right?

:shakes head:
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #266
Mulerider

Quote:

I think that any trainer/owner with horses showing up in the kill lot DIRECTLY after racing for them should be denied barn space at tracks and of course have their license investigated.

Social media pressure does nothing to these types. They are not moved by compassion or shame. Consquences and punishment is the ONLY way to deter them and their ilk.
Absolutely agree with the first. On the other, it should be noted that Shelton Zenon GAVE these horses to NTWO (via Alborano). These were active, uninjured horses, just slow. He could have sold them at Dominique's Livestock Auction for $300-400 each.

The best that the various rescue groups can hope for are situations like this, where the horse can be intercepted before it gets to auction and then the kill pen. I agree that the connections are abdicating their responsibility, but it is what it is.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #267
Mulerider

LSRC meeting next week

The Louisiana State Racing Commission has agreed to discuss the slaughter issue at its meeting in New Orleans on the 15th. The Commission will hear presentations from Maggi Moss, Victoria Keith of NTWO, representatives of icareihelp.com, and others.

Boyd Gaming and NTWO have reached an arrangement whereby Boyd contributes money to the salary of a NTWO employee who will have full access to the backstretch to identify susceptible horses and try to intercept before being dumped. One problem there is that a lot of these dumped Boyd horses aren't stabled there and ship in on race day only.

At any rate, there seems to be a little positive movement. We'll see.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #268
Someday Silent

Good God. I read this entire thread last night because I couldn't sleep. Then after I finished reading I really couldn't sleep.

Does the U.S. Jockey Club have any to punish or take away privileges when owners/trainers send off horses to such gruesome fates?

I know I'm pretty late to the discussion but it seems to me (as with other horse racing issues), leaving things up to individual states/tracks results in more chaos and abuse.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: