Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-01-2024, 06:24 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

When men were men….last Arizona survivor passes

https://apnews.com/article/pearl-har...1c364177e55076

Read his history after Pearl Harbor
Old 04-02-2024, 01:05 PM   #2
OntheRail

R.I.P
Old 04-02-2024, 01:53 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Rest in Peace.

-jp
Old 04-02-2024, 02:15 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Rest in Peace, looks like he cheated death two times and lived past 100. I would say he is a very rare individual.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 05:20 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

RIP
Sad so many don't have a clue as to what Pearl Harbor even is.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2024, 05:58 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

My uncle was in Pearl Harbor and his ship was sunk.
He was lucky to escape.

to those who weren't as lucky.

My Mother told of the weeks they waited to hear if he was alive.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:00 PM   #7
Jeff P

USS Arizona Deck Piece:

USNA Class of '42:

Sailor's Survival Kit:

Flight Deck Control Room:

On the Flight Deck:

This past week I've had family visiting from Denver.

Yesterday I got to play tour guide and took them to the USS Midway Museum.

The youngest recently turned 16 and had no real appreciation of our greatest generation beforehand.

After seeing a Plaque commemorating the USNA Class of '42 and realizing kids just a few years older than her were forced to grow up in a hurry, something tells me she gets it now.

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg USSArizonaDeckPiece.jpeg (302.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg USNAClassOf1942.jpeg (269.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg SurvivalKit.jpeg (437.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg ControlRoom.jpeg (448.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg FlightDeck01.jpeg (473.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 04-05-2024 at 08:02 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 08:44 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
RIP
Sad so many don't have a clue as to what Pearl Harbor even is.

It gets very little coverage these days on the anniversary of Dec 7th, 1941.
A lot of lefties have regrets that we dropped an A-bomb and ended the war.
I am sure as the media leans more to the left that effects coverage.

There has always been a lot of controversy surrounding the display of the Enola Gay. She sits in a museum in the liberal mecca of Fairfax County Va.
It really doesn't get a lot of attention, like it is not even there. I kind of just stood there and stared at it for 5 minutes, I did not have any company.

I do admit I look at things differently than most people when in comes to machinery from the past, knowing what little they had to work with compared to now and I marvel at the craftsmanship.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:50 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
USS Arizona Deck Piece:

USNA Class of '42:

Sailor's Survival Kit:

Flight Deck Control Room:

On the Flight Deck:

This past week I've had family visiting from Denver.

Yesterday I got to play tour guide and took them to the USS Midway Museum.

The youngest recently turned 16 and had no real appreciation of our greatest generation beforehand.

After seeing a Plaque commemorating the USNA Class of '42 and realizing kids just a few years older than her were forced to grow up in a hurry, something tells me she gets it now.

-jp

So you live around San Diego? Ever go to the museum at March Air Field in Riverside? I liked the B52 that flew like 175 missions in Vietnam. It is amazing looking at that huge patched up pile of metal and think it used to be air worthy.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:40 AM   #10
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
So you live around San Diego? Ever go to the museum at March Air Field in Riverside? I liked the B52 that flew like 175 missions in Vietnam. It is amazing looking at that huge patched up pile of metal and think it used to be air worthy.
No. I haven't been to the museum at March Air Field in Riverside. (May go check it out someday.)

Fyi, for reasons that'll make sense as you read this post, I've recently taken a keen interest in the readiness of our US military flying craft.

And in my opinion "Houston, we've had a problem here."

On Thursday January 11, 2024 a US Navy helicopter crash landed in nearby San Diego Bay.

NBC Channel 7 News | Updated on January 13, 2024
US Navy recovers helicopter that crashed into San Diego Bay:
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...o-bay/3404179/

Quote:
The MH-60R helicopter from Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 41 (HSM-41) was carrying two pilots and four aircrew when it went down around 6:40 p.m. on Thursday during day-into-night search and rescue training.

Due to the nature of the training, which specialized in rescue swimming, a safety boat was nearby, and all six crew members survived, thanks also in part to the assistance of Federal Fire, Teach said. All crew members were promptly moved ashore to undergo medical evaluation and were found without any critical or life-threatening injuries.

On the night of February 7, 2024, a US Marine CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter crashed near Pine Valley in the mountains east of San Diego under poor weather conditions.

All five crew members aboard were killed.

NBC Channel 7 News | Updated on February 9, 2024
5 Marines killed in helicopter crash in San Diego's East County identified:
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ified/3430953/

Quote:
The U.S. Marine Corps has identified the five Marines who were killed after their helicopter crashed Tuesday during stormy weather in San Diego's East County.

They have been identified as:
  • Lance Cpl. Donovan Davis, 21, of Olathe, Kansas, a CH-53E helicopter crew chief.
  • Sgt. Alec Langen, 23, of Chandler, Arizona, a CH-53E helicopter crew chief.
  • Capt. Benjamin Moulton, 27, of Emmett, Idaho, a CH-53E helicopter pilot.
  • Capt. Jack Casey, 26, of Dover, New Hampshire, a CH-53E helicopter pilot.
  • Capt. Miguel Nava, 28, of Traverse City, Michigan, a CH-53E helicopter pilot.

All were assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 361, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing and were based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

“We have been confronted with a tragedy that is every service family’s worst fear,” said Lt. Col. Nicholas J. Harvey, commanding officer of HMH-361. “Our top priority now is supporting the families of our fallen heroes, and we ask for your respect and understanding as they grieve. The Flying Tigers family stands strong and includes the friends and community who have supported our squadron during this challenging time. We will get through this together.”

This one hits home.

I knew Ben Moulton.

Link to his Obituary, here:
https://www.potterchapel.com/obituary/Benjamin-Moulton

I first met him on Easter Sunday 2007 in Phoenix.

He was only 12 then. His mom, Robyn Dougherty had been invited to the same Easter Sunday get together I had been invited to.

There were a group of early teen aged kids there. The family hosting the event had this huge back yard.

Naturally, a few of the boys started throwing a football around. Next thing you know a game of touch football was going on - and I joined in.

That's how I met him.

I've only seen him a handful of times since (the occasional Thanksgiving or Christmas spent visiting that same family in Arizona.)

At the young age of 12 he stood out from the other kids.

That Easter Sunday, during that game of touch football, he just naturally assumed a leadership role, and the other kids looked up to him.

Even though I didn't know him well, I am proud of the path this fine young man forged for himself.

I am truly saddened by his passing.

-jp
Old 04-06-2024, 01:53 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
No. I haven't been to the museum at March Air Field in Riverside. (May go check it out someday.)

Fyi, for reasons that'll make sense as you read this post, I've recently taken a keen interest in the readiness of our US military flying craft.

And in my opinion "Houston, we've had a problem here."

On Thursday January 11, 2024 a US Navy helicopter crash landed in nearby San Diego Bay.

NBC Channel 7 News | Updated on January 13, 2024
US Navy recovers helicopter that crashed into San Diego Bay:
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...o-bay/3404179/

On the night of February 7, 2024, a US Marine CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter crashed near Pine Valley in the mountains east of San Diego under poor weather conditions.

All five crew members aboard were killed.

NBC Channel 7 News | Updated on February 9, 2024
5 Marines killed in helicopter crash in San Diego's East County identified:
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ified/3430953/

This one hits home.

I knew Ben Moulton.

Link to his Obituary, here:
https://www.potterchapel.com/obituary/Benjamin-Moulton

I first met him on Easter Sunday 2007 in Phoenix.

He was only 12 then. His mom, Robyn Dougherty had been invited to the same Easter Sunday get together I had been invited to.

There were a group of early teen aged kids there. The family hosting the event had this huge back yard.

Naturally, a few of the boys started throwing a football around. Next thing you know a game of touch football was going on - and I joined in.

That's how I met him.

I've only seen him a handful of times since (the occasional Thanksgiving or Christmas spent visiting that same family in Arizona.)

At the young age of 12 he stood out from the other kids.

That Easter Sunday, during that game of touch football, he just naturally assumed a leadership role, and the other kids looked up to him.

Even though I didn't know him well, I am proud of the path this fine young man forged for himself.

I am truly saddened by his passing.

-jp

Sad to see a fine man taken at such a young age. The last people I knew that went in the military were a couple kids I would give summer jobs to 25 years ago. Their mother had them medicated for ADHD or whatever the hell it was, when they stayed with me I gave them the option of not taking the meds. They went in the Navy, I saw them a couple times when they were on leave, they turned into fine young men and cured of their issues, no drugs needed. They even thanked me for the lessons I taught them.

As for aircraft readiness since I no longer know anyone on the inside I just have to take what the media feeds us. Helicopters do seem to be inherently dangerous whether civilian or military, every accident seems to always be blamed on pilot error or flying in unsafe conditions. Whether that is always true or not, who knows. There is no reason to skimp on aircraft maintenance when we are not in an air war with anyone. I wonder what the data shows on helicopter safety over the years? Is there no money or incentives to use research and development to improve their safety?

I used to do DOD work, I had to give it up when I moved to the woods of Central Virginia, my internet was too slow to pass the security on the government sites. Most of the items I made were small replacement parts
for arms, vehicles and aircraft. Some times the drawings said what the specific part was, other times you were left guessing. Some of the drawings I worked from dated to WWII, so as off 2011, there was still some 70 year old equipment in service. I hope I did not make and fasteners for any P51 Mustangs and not know about it.

I wonder if there are aircraft that they should stop repairing over and over and scrap them or send them to a museum. I wonder if recruiting issues
and our young people growing up slower is having an effect? Some of the stuff I have read about is pretty horrifying if true. I read somewhere that recruits in basic training wore stress monitors and got timeouts if their stress level was too high. I hope I read a satire piece.

As for going to the March Field Air Museum it isn't very big but they do have a website. I would not make a special trip, but catch it if there are other things you want to see. I used to live in Riverside and would take out of town guests. I also had a retired USAF friend who would come from out of state and use the commissary.