Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

Bob Baffert can't do no wrong?

Just when you thought that this guy is some super-trainer, a mob of racing fans at Sunland is screaming for his head.

In the Sunland Park $200,000 Oaks, Baffert sent out the much ballyhooed Noted and Quoted under Martin Garcia as the favorite. Boy did she stank up the place, finishing dead last after being eased and getting a ride in the ambulance. It's a pity that Martin Garica did not get ride also, he could have used it before Sunland Park Derby.

In the $800,00 Sunland Park Derby Baffert sent another lightly raced horse, Bronze Age. This horse was surely Baffert's derby horse. He went off as the favorite and as luck would have it finished dead last after being eased and getting a lift in an ambulance.

I don't think Baffert will be going to Sunland Park any time soon again.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
Just when you thought that this guy is some super-trainer, a mob of racing fans at Sunland is screaming for his head.

In the Sunland Park $200,000 Oaks, Baffert sent out the much ballyhooed Noted and Quoted under Martin Garcia as the favorite. Boy did she stank up the place, finishing dead last after being eased and getting a ride in the ambulance. It's a pity that Martin Garica did not get ride also, he could have used it before Sunland Park Derby.

In the $800,00 Sunland Park Derby Baffert sent another lightly raced horse, Bronze Age. This horse was surely Baffert's derby horse. He went off as the favorite and as luck would have it finished dead last after being eased and getting a lift in an ambulance.

The horse Bronze Age beat at SA Was another Baffert horse who came back to struggle in a 3 horse field. Baffert will be back there next season with Better luck I'm sure.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post

Bronze Age was surely his Derby horse? Not sure that's true at all.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Sunland had a mob of racing fans?

That's very nice to hear.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Bronze Age was surely his Derby horse? Not sure that's true at all.
DaHoss couldn't be more right. I'll be shocked if that horse can win an allowance.

He probably isn't even in Baffert top-10 three year olds.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
Sunland had a mob of racing fans?

That's very nice to hear.
16,000 on Derby day.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Broad Brush

Baffert is a terrific "dirt" trainer---but a train wreck on the grass.

I don't get that.
Broad Brush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Brush View Post

I don't get that.
Does he really even run on the grass much?
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Brush View Post

I don't get that.
I would have to think it starts with the types of horses they buy for clients in the sales, looking for more dirt types to begin with. Then the training style of speed-laden, aggressive works from the quarter-horse background & that's not exactly conducive to the style that wins on turf. Not saying it can't be done, but the program isn't best suited for it, note the decades worth of champions D Wayne trained, but far as the turf goes I think he had Steinlen & Marlin & that pretty much was the gamut of his top turf horses.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

The title of this thread sure makes a person wince.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I would have to think it starts with the types of horses they buy for clients in the sales, looking for more dirt types to begin with. Then the training style of speed-laden, aggressive works from the quarter-horse background & that's not exactly conducive to the style that wins on turf. Not saying it can't be done, but the program isn't best suited for it, note the decades worth of champions D Wayne trained, but far as the turf goes I think he had Steinlen & Marlin & that pretty much was the gamut of his top turf horses.

Lukas didn't have a lot of turf horses, but the ones he had, he managed and trained well.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
The title of this thread sure makes a person wince.
I understand the intent but also noticed it.

Baffert has been one of my favorite trainers on the SoCal circuit ever since the early '90's when I first noticed him. Some people don't like him for some reason. But, I think he's been a good Ambassador for Horse Racing and conducts himself that way whenever I've seen him.

The thing is, he's just been on a 26 year +/- winning streak.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
very astute observation
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
I understand the intent but also noticed it.

Baffert has been one of my favorite trainers on the SoCal circuit ever since the early '90's when I first noticed him. Some people don't like him for some reason. But, I think he's been a good Ambassador for Horse Racing and conducts himself that way whenever I've seen him.

The thing is, he's just been on a 26 year +/- winning streak.
For me, it's all about horses inexplicably dropping dead. Then it was all swept under the rug. He'd be easy for me to like him if I could overlook the dead horses but I can't.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
classhandicapper

I'm surprised people aren't talking about Bob Baffert's recent accomplishments a little more. That's quite lineup of horses, some of which have made huge leaps forward this year, and he still has more to come.

Arrogate
More Spirit
Collected
Danzing Candy
American Anthem
Abel Tasman