Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
lamboguy

i have a confession to make

i have no idea what i am doing betting on Penn National date races. they have so many levels, i just can's figure them out and place in my head where the horses belong.

they have $4000 nw 1 in 6 months and a year,$5000 nw 1 in 6 months and a year, $6250 nw1 in a year, $10,000 nw1 in a year, $12000 nw1 in a year and $15000 nw1 in a year. they have horses traveling up and down those ladders and i just can't figure them out for the life of me.

i swear they are doing it just to make sure i don't bet it.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i have no idea what i am doing betting on Penn National date races. they have so many levels, i just can's figure them out and place in my head where the horses belong.

they have $4000 nw 1 in 6 months and a year,$5000 nw 1 in 6 months and a year, $6250 nw1 in a year, $10,000 nw1 in a year, $12000 nw1 in a year and $15000 nw1 in a year. they have horses traveling up and down those ladders and i just can't figure them out for the life of me.

i swear they are doing it just to make sure i don't bet it.
Don't bother. The chalk wins too often and then when you bank on the chalk, the juice beats you.

Used to bet Penn religously, now only a token wager when I'm stuck at the BIG A because my dad doesn't want to go home yet.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
zerosky

It's a problem alright in the condition books they sometimes have an index which includes the class ladder
this link is to Penn click on the Condition Book Index.

http://www.hollywoodpnrc.com/Racing/Horseman%20Info
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky
It's a problem alright in the condition books they sometimes have an index which includes the class ladder
this link is to Penn click on the Condition Book Index.

http://www.hollywoodpnrc.com/Racing/Horseman%20Info
thanks, i am glad someone else sees the same problem i have with them. Penn National is a great place to play other than their condition book.

for years i have loved the way Mountaineer writes their races. the racing office in that place is dynamite. but they have now cut way back and its not the same thing. Mahoning has been real good as well with large field sizes this time of year. they are closing pretty soon as well for the season.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Dr Gonzo
Bluesman

I miss the good old days at Penn. It used to be that a $2500 claimer might be for Non-Winners of 2 Lifetime, Non-Winners of 3 Lifetime, Non-Winners of 1 in 6 months, Non-Winners of 2 in 6 months, Non-Winners of 1 in 1 Year, Open Competition etc. but the great part was that the DRF never showed the conditions of the previous races, they all showed up as a $2500 claimer.

By keeping a condition notebook, you could make more money than a crooked congressman.

Ah........the good old days.

Doc
Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
GatetoWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
thanks, i am glad someone else sees the same problem i have with them. Penn National is a great place to play other than their condition book.

for years i have loved the way Mountaineer writes their races. the racing office in that place is dynamite. but they have now cut way back and its not the same thing. Mahoning has been real good as well with large field sizes this time of year. they are closing pretty soon as well for the season.
I couldn't help but smile when Lambo said "Penn National is a great place to play"
So great that the FBI has set up a permanent office on the grounds!!!
GatetoWire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
I miss the good old days at Penn. It used to be that a $2500 claimer might be for Non-Winners of 2 Lifetime, Non-Winners of 3 Lifetime, Non-Winners of 1 in 6 months, Non-Winners of 2 in 6 months, Non-Winners of 1 in 1 Year, Open Competition etc. but the great part was that the DRF never showed the conditions of the previous races, they all showed up as a $2500 claimer.

By keeping a condition notebook, you could make more money than a crooked congressman.

Doc
Back in the 80's DRF never gave you the complete conditions for claimers at LGA. I remember when they started notating the N2L in the PPs. I remember my father in law explaining it to me, and wishing I'd had some kind of recognition before they were noted.

My FIL was a hell of a horse player. Came over from Ireland in '57 with the typical love of horses, whiskey and gambling that so many from there have. He was a sharpie at the track. Wish I would have listened closer more often than I did.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo

Doc
HOLY CRAP, good ol memories. You are 100000% right....
Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire
I couldn't help but smile when Lambo said "Penn National is a great place to play"
So great that the FBI has set up a permanent office on the grounds!!!
Minor irrelevant details....
Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
HOLY CRAP, good ol memories. You are 100000% right....

It was listed that way, but anybody worth his salt had the charts handy for those cases where it wasn't obvious
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It was listed that way, but anybody worth his salt had the charts handy for those cases where it wasn't obvious
I was the guy people made fun of at PENN because he carried with him, in a backpack, 2-3 YEARS worth of result charts clipped out of the DRF almost daily for PENN.

Loved the Uninformation age or whatever we can call it.

On a different note, back in 2003 I asked Fred or someone there, where their replay center is....

I got a stare like I had just asked for chinese food at the hot dog stand
Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
PIC6SIX

Wink

You are going back many years when Form did not have conditions for cheap claimers. You must be one of the ancient ones on this board. Good luck.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I was the guy people made fun of at PENN because he carried with him, in a backpack, 2-3 YEARS worth of result charts clipped out of the DRF almost daily for PENN.

Loved the Uninformation age or whatever we can call it.

On a different note, back in 2003 I asked Fred or someone there, where their replay center is....

I got a stare like I had just asked for chinese food at the hot dog stand
I used to get in trouble during dorm inspections by the first sergeant for having too many "newspapers" in my room...until he went to the track with me once.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I used to get in trouble during dorm inspections by the first sergeant for having too many "newspapers" in my room...until he went to the track with me once.

Now that's a subtle but GOOD story!

You were a fire hazard till you put the horse fire in his pocket
Old 04-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #15
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
CJ did you really put your daughters thru college betting the ponies? (Wide fast fractions discussion)
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: