Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #61
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't want to get too far into legal advice here, but settling on these facts would be ridiculous. This is an attempt to scare OP into shutting up, not to get money. Often times, a proactive legal strategy is very cost effective when someone does this.
My point is that right or wrong, a legal defense costs money, time, and stress. Often times, settling has less to do with legal facts and is more about saving time, money and stress. Lawsuits, even those that are not demanding large sums, can make life difficult for those involved.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #62
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
The only thing logical in the whole incident is the anger about MM's comments because at least that makes sense from someone trying to protect his livelihood. Even if my rider was awful, I wouldn't want someone to point it out either. But the idea he can be sued for giving his opinion? It's insane. Then the rest of the thread, if you include mac's story and some of the other stuff, is equally silly. Suing a commentator for doing his job? Not giving him the cold shoulder, but threatening a lawsuit? Then the trainer who had no idea that stats like the trainer's record with first-time starters were published? It's like they're all in a little bubble and have no clue the rest of the world is there.
Let me add something. I've occasionally plugged the guy's riders just a little-and at his behest. I'm a human being, and not averse to helping a jock get started if I see anything even REMOTELY praiseworthy.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-31-2016 at 11:12 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #63
teddy

Id turn up the heat ... nobody ever sues anybody but they all say they will. I remember a lawyer friend of mine said a guy came in to his office and wanted to sue a store because he was charged .50 too much for cigarettes. Dead serious he was going to score.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
My point is that right or wrong, a legal defense costs money, time, and stress. Often times, settling has less to do with legal facts and is more about saving time, money and stress. Lawsuits, even those that are not demanding large sums, can make life difficult for those involved.
While those general bromides are true enough, they literally have nothing to do with this situation.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #65
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Let me add something. I've occasionally plugged the guy's riders just a little-and at his behest. I'm a human being, and not averse to helping a jock get started if I see anything even REMOTELY praiseworthy.
I wasn't knocking you, or attempting to. You're totally in the right. I was just saying that as someone trying to make a living, I could at least understand that part. The rest of it, the lawsuit threat, that's all ridiculous. You've got to have some thick skin to do your job, no question.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #66
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
While those general bromides are true enough, they literally have nothing to do with this situation.
General bromides? You just don't have it in your DNA to not be insulting do you. Your inane comment aside, my comment has plenty to do with the situation. Go alienate someone else assuming there is anybody left.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #67
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
I wasn't knocking you, or attempting to. You're totally in the right. I was just saying that as someone trying to make a living, I could at least understand that part. The rest of it, the lawsuit threat, that's all ridiculous. You've got to have some thick skin to do your job, no question.
I have always respected your opinions and didn't take your post as criticism.

But as far as "thick skin" is concerned, it's a work in progress. I used to take umbrage at any SUGGESTION that I wasn't phenomenal at my job.

However, at some point (sadly, not so very long ago), it finally dawned on me that I'm NOT the smartest guy in the room. And all the things I DON'T know began to appear as if some Klingon cloaking device had been disengaged. So I put that burden down and just endeavored to be the best Mark Patterson I can. And that made me a better analyst and a happier man. Please excuse the third person reference-there was no other way to phrase that sentence.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-31-2016 at 05:02 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #68
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
General bromides? You just don't have it in your DNA to not be insulting do you. Your inane comment aside, my comment has plenty to do with the situation. Go alienate someone else assuming there is anybody left.
King:

I am precluded by bar rules from giving legal advice in this situation.

But I AM allowed to say if something is wrong, and your statement about settling and buying this person off is utterly bad legal advice in this situation.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #69
ponyplayerdotca

Tell the agent to go eff himself

If the agent doesn't like anyone to point out that his client is atrocious at his craft, tell him to get better riders as clients.

If the rider doesn't like to hear criticisms about his abilities, get better at riding races.

If either of them are scared that their livelihoods are on the line, then get better at your job if you want to keep it. Otherwise, go get work at a restaurant or elsewhere to make ends meet like everyone else.

There's no law that says you get to be a jockey or an agent for your entire life just because. Your job security, like everybody elses, depends on sustained performance over a long period of time.

If you can't sustain your proficiency at your chosen career, there is no guarantee you'll continue to be gainfully employed in that career.

Mountainman, you've done nothing wrong. And he's an asshole, "wanting to protect his client or not" aside.

There are no tough people in the world anymore, only victims. F@%k me.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #70
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyplayerdotca
If the agent doesn't like anyone to point out that his client is atrocious at his craft, tell him to get better riders as clients.

If the rider doesn't like to hear criticisms about his abilities, get better at riding races.

If either of them are scared that their livelihoods are on the line, then get better at your job if you want to keep it. Otherwise, go get work at a restaurant or elsewhere to make ends meet like everyone else.

There's no law that says you get to be a jockey or an agent for your entire life just because. Your job security, like everybody elses, depends on sustained performance over a long period of time.

If you can't sustain your proficiency at your chosen career, there is no guarantee you'll continue to be gainfully employed in that career.

Mountainman, you've done nothing wrong. And he's an asshole, "wanting to protect his client or not" aside.

There are no tough people in the world anymore, only victims. F@%k me.
Where have you been???? Please post more!!!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #71
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
A jock's agent has threatened to sue me for comments last week critical of his rider. The guy missed second narrowly, after which I remarked that he " looked awful on the horse, fell back every time the horse lunged forward, and had to contort his body and look back with every whip-strike-to hit the ass and make sure he didn't fall off. "

I further stated that the rider seemed to lack requisite professional skills.

Candor makes enemies.
Only one thing to tell the judge. I stand on the truth

Dr. Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no dick.

Last edited by HalvOnHorseracing; 08-31-2016 at 08:45 PM.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #72
bobphilo

Quote:
A jock's agent has threatened to sue me for comments last week critical of his rider. The guy missed second narrowly, after which I remarked that he " looked awful on the horse, fell back every time the horse lunged forward, and had to contort his body and look back with every whip-strike-to hit the ass and make sure he didn't fall off. "

I further stated that the rider seemed to lack requisite professional skills.

Candor makes enemies.
Good for you. If this guy wins this case every sports writer in the country will be in trouble.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #73
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
But threatening a lawsuit like some suburban nerd dad?
Holy cow I laughed at this.

Great thread Mark - despite some of the posts regarding your trials and tribulations. Eye-opening, and as always I wish you the best.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #74
GatetoWire

Don't worry Mark!!
You haven't lived until someone threatens you for something you say or post.

I was personally threatened by a well-known trainers wife who said that if I didn't stop posting things on Twitter that she would inform my current employer about what I was saying and would try to get me fired.
Reminded me of the kind of thing Lance Armstrong would do!!! Made me think they had to be guilty. Especially because they were not going to sue me. Just try to get me fired.

Only in racing....of course they skated away from the scandal that they were facing at the time. Always wondered if they threatened or tried to intimidate anyone else.
GatetoWire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #75
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire
Don't worry Mark!!
You haven't lived until someone threatens you for something you say or post.

I was personally threatened by a well-known trainers wife who said that if I didn't stop posting things on Twitter that she would inform my current employer about what I was saying and would try to get me fired.
Reminded me of the kind of thing Lance Armstrong would do!!! Made me think they had to be guilty. Especially because they were not going to sue me. Just try to get me fired.

Only in racing....of course they skated away from the scandal that they were facing at the time. Always wondered if they threatened or tried to intimidate anyone else.

Oh please do tell..
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply