Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 2.20 average.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #151
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Why should you two care?...You're both busted and own no stocks anyway..
One of my first jobs back in 1971 was manually inserting copies of Barrons overnight on Fridays at the Dow Jones printing plant in Chicopee, Massachusetts for mailing. (BTW, that phrase "Hot off the presses" can be taken literally, picking up stacks of papers is about the same temp as a bagel from a toaster oven)There were leftover copies we could bring home and I would read them, even though a I was a mere high school lad.Learned quite a bit and started investing, getting a mutual fund from Scudder in 1977, one of the few in those days you could buy sans sales charge.When I started teaching in 1980, I signed up for the 403b, did the IRA in the mid 80's and bought individual stocks in the late 80's.I have 22 stocks in dividend reinvestment plans and also own 25 other companies.Right now, my holdings including my lovely brides IRA and CD's- she's the cash in our portfolio-is about 750,000 .We own 2 homes free and clear and don't owe a penny to anyone in the world.

Will there be a correction,sell off, bear market?
Someday
Do I worry about it?
No

I've driven used cars and eaten canned ravioli before and I can do it again.My wife didn't have electricity in her little town in the Dominican Republic until she was 11 years old.We both make every nickel bleed.Because we like to.I don't mind spending money, I don't like wasting it.
But enough about moi.

Have a pleasant and prosperous evening.And a Happy New Year.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #152
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
One of my first jobs back in 1971 was manually inserting copies of Barrons overnight on Fridays at the Dow Jones printing plant in Chicopee, Massachusetts for mailing. (BTW, that phrase "Hot off the presses" can be taken literally, picking up stacks of papers is about the same temp as a bagel from a toaster oven)There were leftover copies we could bring home and I would read them, even though a I was a mere high school lad.Learned quite a bit and started investing, getting a mutual fund from Scudder in 1977, one of the few in those days you could buy sans sales charge.When I started teaching in 1980, I signed up for the 403b, did the IRA in the mid 80's and bought individual stocks in the late 80's.I have 22 stocks in dividend reinvestment plans and also own 25 other companies.Right now, my holdings including my lovely brides IRA and CD's- she's the cash in our portfolio-is about 750,000 .We own 2 homes free and clear and don't owe a penny to anyone in the world.

Will there be a correction,sell off, bear market?
Someday
Do I worry about it?
No

I've driven used cars and eaten canned ravioli before and I can do it again.My wife didn't have electricity in her little town in the Dominican Republic until she was 11 years old.We both make every nickel bleed.Because we like to.I don't mind spending money, I don't like wasting it.
But enough about moi.

Have a pleasant and prosperous evening.And a Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to you as well.....BTW, I liked the part about the "canned ravioli", made your story more authentic...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #153
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
I have 2 cans of Carrefour Beef Ravioli I bought last week.On sale of course.. 129 Dominican pesos, about $2.85 for the 800 gram size.Made in France no less.

Old habits die hard
Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #154
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I have 2 cans of Carrefour Beef Ravioli I bought last week.On sale of course.. 129 Dominican pesos, about $2.85 for the 800 gram size.Made in France no less.

Old habits die hard
I'm a snob....it's Chef Boyardee for me, or NOTHING..
Old 12-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #155
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Chef Boyardee - out of the can, cold, with a plastic fork.
And a 2016 Doctor Pepper.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #156
barahona44

Quote:
Carrefour is the Wal Mart of France,so I can't vouch for the quality yet.
If I don't post anymore, you can assume the worst.

EDIT: We have gone off thread as far as it is possible to go.From Trump to French canned ravioli.

Last edited by barahona44; 12-26-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #157
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Yes, a fellow snob who won't even think of drinking Mr. Pibb instead...
Old 12-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #158
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Carrefour is the Wal Mart of France,so I can't vouch for the quality yet.
If I don't post anymore, you can assume the worst.

EDIT: We have gone off thread as far as it is possible to go.From Trump to French canned ravioli.
And they say the "middle class" has disappeared...
Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #159
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Chef Boyardee????... No wonder your annual gloom and doom stock market predictions are ill-advised, as usual.

If you want some really great and inexpensive eats, nothing beats a good old can of sardines, especially those from Alaska and Scotland but they are all great, imo.

Very tasty, filling, nutritious and it's the quintessential brain food, if you catch my drift!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #160
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Chef Boyardee????... No wonder your annual gloom and doom stock market predictions are ill-advised, as usual.

If you want some really great and inexpensive eats, nothing beats a good old can of sardines, especially those from Alaska and Scotland but they are all great, imo.

Very tasty, filling, nutritious and it's the quintessential brain food, if you catch my drift!
Yeah, I catch your drift.....you stink..
Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #161
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Anyway.....It's just 25 days until Trump hits the ground at full steam out of the blocks.....come Inauguration Day it's going to be a wild ride.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #162
reckless
Veteran

The only reason the stock market dives in Trump's first 100 days as many doom and gloomers suggest it will is if the extremely political Fed Chairwoman, Janet Yellen, raises rates again, and announces 2-3 additional rate hikes for 2017.

She, not Trump, will be the stumbling block, if this happens.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #163
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
The only reason the stock market dives in Trump's first 100 days as many doom and gloomers suggest it will is if the extremely political Fed Chairwoman, Janet Yellen, raises rates again, and announces 2-3 additional rate hikes for 2017.

She, not Trump, will be the stumbling block, if this happens.
Rule number one of the stock market. NOBODY CAN PREDICT SHORT TERM MOVES.

The craziest thing might send the market soaring or tailspinning for a short time.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #164
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Ahh...fond recollections of my college days...that and arranging my class schedules around Suffolk Downs and Wonderland...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #165
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown
Rule number one of the stock market. NOBODY CAN PREDICT SHORT TERM MOVES.

The craziest thing might send the market soaring or tailspinning for a short time.
You should direct your post to R-Randall... he's the doom and gloomer, not me.

I am only offering the lone possible scenario of a market plunge in Trump's first months. I am not the one that said the Trump's stock market rally is close to being finished or near so.

I am a long term investor and am very, very optimistic in the immediate, mid-term and long term success in the stock market.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: