Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

If Saratoga is hard, why play?

You want to show a profit for the year, right? If you think Spa (or DMR)is Hard why would you spend one minute on their races? Since 'everyone' is playing the Spa, that shows me people think they can beat it.

Last edited by Stillriledup; 07-22-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Dark Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
You want to show a profit for the year, right? If you think Spa (or DMR)is Hard why would you spend one minute on their races? Since 'everyone' is playing the Spa, that shows me people think they can beat it.

As Shakespeare said: "To bet or not to bet, that's the question." (I have it on good authority that the t's were erased by puritans).
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 02:21 AM   #3
lamboguy

i take on all the tracks. Saratoga is pretty tough for me because the rebate there is a joke. however there will be a few maiden races that i will get involved in and i can go up against their big pools and score if i am right, there is no other place in the North Atlantic region that offers that. the other races that i sometimes play are the off the turf ones, but they generally have lighter pools.

saratoga does feature good racing and big pools, that's why they don't have to give legit rebates to get the action. to most people,, big pools mean more than takeouts.. the other thing that New York racing does is pay the dime which happens to be big as well.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
ultracapper

It's not just about making a profit, though that's what we're all trying to do. There are those that appreciate good horse racing, and like to make wagers on good horse races. There is nothing like watching 10 outstanding horses go at it for 1 minute and 34 seconds. It's even better when you have a few bucks on the horse that can pull that race out. Horse racing wouldn't last long if all we had were 6 horse fields with heavy chalks that we all could pick....wait a minute.............

Thank God for Saratoga.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
Clocker

Quote:
I don't play the Spa.

Several years ago I went back through my ADW account to see what I had done at the Spa after the season. I was quite surprised to find that I had handicapped about 20 cards and I had not placed a single bet. I haven't looked at it since.

The meet is too short to get comparable data on the horses on that track, and too many days are off tracks because of rain. I'd love to visit, but I am not going to even look at it online.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
thaskalos

I don't play the Spa either.

I am not a horse racing "purist", so the ambiance and the "tradition" of the place do not particularly excite me. As Clocker already said, the meeting is too short, and, in my case, the races usually offered there are not the type that I find desirable to wager on. There are better spots for my money at other tracks out there.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 AM   #7
ultracapper

Having posted what I posted, I need to say that I do not play Saratoga either. I have maybe placed 5 bets there in my life. I'm comfortable with my usual grind, and don't venture out much.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Saratoga took me from black to red 3 of the last 4 years. Play is going to be greatly reduced this year. Not sure if I'll play much of anything the next two months.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
cnollfan

Pletcher's ROI at Satatoga was - 48% last year. That's a good jumping-off place for me since I rarely bet on his horses to begin with.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
magwell

I love the turf races there and zero in on them, Saratoga IMO is the best racing in the country, Be nice if it ran a longer meet........
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quite simple....Please pay attention to how many times you will actually see jockeys riding their horses EARLY on in the race WHEN there are jockeys in the race who are not the usual cast of characters from downstate. If I see a race with Javier, John, Irad, Jose, Cornelio odds are you can see the usual boat race crap that happens downstate but up at the SPA, if you add in a Paco Lopez, C Lanerie and a couple more out of towners it's harder for the NYRA boys to just slow it down and orchestrate what they want.

1) It's so much more pleasureable to actually see a 4 horse duel. It's so much nicer to be able to give a closer shot a when there are 5 speeds in a race as odds are there will be pace.

2) When theres variables like this obviously prices will be a plenty.

Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty annoying 12 horse turf routes where it's just a carousel, wire to wire and no one makes a move ever that frustrate the crap out of me but overall the product is better up there. Owners want to win, trainers want to win and go for it.

Plus, all it takes is one correct opinion to make your meet.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Since 'everyone' is playing the Spa,
This, in my mind, creates opportunity.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
This, in my mind, creates opportunity.
It's nice having money in the pools from people who are

1) Once a year players
2) Hammered from alcohol
3) People who are not familiar with the circuit
4) People who are playing birthdays, favorite numbers, etc.
5) Dreamers-Owners of horses that shipped in thinking they have a shot and bet on their horses as well. Meanwhile their horses are almost hopeless longshots.

You are absolutely right.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
1st time lasix

that

Caught a carry over pick six there last season that made my year. The low take outpick five is a very attractive option and the exactas pay well if you can find a vulnerable favorite.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
It's nice having money in the pools from people who are

1) Once a year players
2) Hammered from alcohol
3) People who are not familiar with the circuit
4) People who are playing birthdays, favorite numbers, etc.
5) Dreamers-Owners of horses that shipped in thinking they have a shot and bet on their horses as well. Meanwhile their horses are almost hopeless longshots.

You are absolutely right.
How often do you attend Saratoga's meet?

I believe you have some exaggerated misconceptions--from the backyard to the clubhouse.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply