Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Saratoga Stories

We'll probably have 4500 new similar new threads in the coming days. I did a search and couldn't find one similar, so here goes.

Who has a unique Saratoga story. Could be a great race, finding a $2000 ticket on the ground, or a lady in need of assistance, memories of yesteryear with family, etc?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
SaratogaSteve

I'm going to surmise that I'm not the only one here to have a meet-making score the day I bet Kamakura to place and show and have Lady's Secret run up the track...
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Tape Reader

Had a “signer” before my first beer.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
badcompany

Back in the day, I didnt have enough money for my own room in Toga. So, I stayed in Albany, renting a room with two friends. One night before a track day, I was hungry but all that was available was food from the vending machine. I ended up buying a "Hot Pocket." One of my friends warned me about them, but I ate it anyway.

The next day, at the track, I set a Saratoga Racecourse record for most trips to the Men's Room as well as most toilet paper used.

I hope this serves as a cautionary tale.

― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by badcompany; 07-14-2015 at 07:47 PM.
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Back in the day, I didnt have enough money for my own room in Toga. So, I stayed in Albany, renting a room with two friends. One night before a track day, I was hungry but all that was available was food from the vending machine. I ended up buying a "Hot Pocket." One of my friends warned me about them, but I ate it anyway.

The next day, at the track, I set a Saratoga Racecourse record for most trips to the Men's Room as well as most toilet paper used.

LOL LOL Had the same reaction with THE BIG RED SPRING WATER station on the grounds years ago!!! Let's leave it at that !! Ha ha
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09
LOL LOL Had the same reaction with THE BIG RED SPRING WATER station on the grounds years ago!!! Let's leave it at that !! Ha ha
OMG that spring water is PURE LEAD POISON or SOMETHING

Made me sick!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:

Thanks Now I have that jingle in my head for the last 5 minutes (Hooooot pockets! Hoooooot Pockets! Hooooooot pockets!) LOL

Sorry to hear that. Reminds me of poor Dave Litfin eating sauerkraut and mustard (with no hot dod or bun) at Aqueduct in the 70's!!!

Love it!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
OMG that spring water is PURE LEAD POISON or SOMETHING

Made me sick!
That day I drank a bunch of the 'stuff' on the advice of a friend who said the mineral waters were famous for health benefits ha ha yeah a seat in the shit house listening to the bathroom attendant playing the same crappy songs again and again for a few sheckles !! Ha ha
Old 07-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
That day I drank a bunch of the 'stuff' on the advice of a friend who said the mineral waters were famous for health benefits ha ha yeah a seat in the shit house listening to the bathroom attendant playing the same crappy songs again and again for a few sheckles !! Ha ha
And then when you walked out he wanted a BIGGER TIP, right???

At least that's what happened to me!!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
And then when you walked out he wanted a BIGGER TIP, right???

At least that's what happened to me!!!!
Ha ha I think I cleared most of them out ( LOL) but as a I think that music made any man do his business at a rapid rate to get out!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
badcompany

Quote:
The health benefit is the exercise you get running to the can.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
The health benefit is the exercise you get running to the can.
Ive had friends spit the stuff out as soon as it hit their palate (pitty) the poor guy to his left or right at the time! LOL
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

I hang out at the Big Red spring once the Heinekens take hold just to watch people talk their friends into trying the spring water....its a hoot and a half...... I'm used to it and have tried them all.....they are all over town

No story, more a lifestyle. I've built friendships that go back almost 4 decades at that track. Opening Day, I see people I haven't seen since the end of the last meet. We even have a horse shoe nailed to a tree in memory of the ones that had their "last meet"........we are always grateful to see "one more meet" and even say this out loud, because none of us are getting any younger. Some of the best days of my life have been spent at that place.........the gambling is secondary......
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Some of the best days of my life have been spent at that place.........the gambling is secondary......
Truth.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Ocala Mike

Saratoga Stories

I worked at Saratoga every season, 1978-1990, as an auditor for NY State. We had our office "upstairs" in the Grandstand not far from the Mutuel Office. Anyway, one year (probably the late 80's), the track got hit with a late afternoon thunderstorm of monstrous proportions. It was just about quitting time for the day for us, but none of us could get out of the track because not only was the rest of the card cancelled, but there was water about 3 feet deep right by the main entrance to the Grandstand! Didn't get out of there until about 8 pm as I recall.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply