Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 04-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
trying2win

THG-TRACKNET Negotiations

In my opinion, THG and TRACKNET should remember to aim for a win-win situation. Better still, aim for a win-win-win-win deal that benefits horsemen, racetracks, bettors and onshore ADWS.

~"Most negotiations are not "fixed pies." Great negotiators look for ways to expand the pie, making a better deal for all parties."

--Dr. Jim Hennig
trying2win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 04:06 AM   #17
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Turf Club
I think everyone that has even a passing interest in the game as a player needs to read this brilliant piece of writing by Ryan Conley.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory...674&source=rss
Conley’s article did not mention the most interesting aspect of THG’s motivation which Matt Hegarty pointed out in his:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/93827.html
Horsemen press for a bigger share
By MATT HEGARTY 4/18/2008
Quote:
… Racetrack signals have typically been sold to account-wagering operations at a rate ranging from 2 percent to 8 percent of handle. That revenue is usually split between the host track and the horsemen at the track. In addition, some account-wagering operators pay source-market fees to horsemen and racetracks within a specified geographic radius of the customer making the bet, though those fees vary widely. After those fees are paid, the account-wagering operation retains the rest of the revenue, which is the difference between the takeout - approximately 20 percent - and the fees paid.
Quote:

THG officials say that on average, horsemen are receiving about 4.5 percent of each wager that flows through an account-wagering operation, and that they believe horsemen should receive approximately 7 percent.

… TrackNet's entry into the market last year was one impetus behind the formation of THG. TrackNet's owners each control account-wagering operations - Churchill's is called twinspires.com, and Magna's is called XpressBet - and horsemen believe that the companies can afford to cut horsemen in on a larger share of the revenue because Churchill and Magna, in many cases, are collecting revenues as both the host track and the account-wagering operator.
This “double dipping” by MEC-CDI is what horseplayers should be going after as strongly as the horsemen are. DragNet is actually in the best position to rebate its customers, but has instead become the epitome of greed and mendacity.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

How about we all just don't bet the Derby this year even if they resolve the issue? No skin off my back, that is for sure. Think that might send a message?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #19
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
How about we all just don't bet the Derby this year even if they resolve the issue? No skin off my back, that is for sure. Think that might send a message?
I don't think it's either realistic or fair to expect people to not bet the Derby or the CD undercard on Derby Day. Same for the Preakness. But how about any or all DragNet cards in between?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Realistic, probably not, but not fair? I'm no fan of Tracknet, but it isn't them alone causing the problems.

Last edited by cj; 04-19-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #21
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Realistic, probably not, but not fair? I'm no fan of Tracknet, but it isn't them alone causing the problems.
I meant fair to racing fans who follow the 3YOs on the Derby Trail and develop rooting interests. I personally look forward to playing P3s and P4s on the Triple Crown event day undercards.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Well, I certainly understand that. But when a union strikes, they don't do it on Saturday and Sunday, they do it when it hurts the most.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #23
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Well, I certainly understand that. But when a union strikes, they don't do it on Saturday and Sunday, they do it when it hurts the most.
Unions are organized. One can only hope to influence horseplayers. I doubt many of them would turn away on Derby Day, but a sufficient subset of dedicated weekday players might be reached through the internet.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #24
ponypro
Veteran

Granted, TVG and Youbet had their turf wars but they developed those markets from scratch and did a damn good job. They never brought their customers into the fight and never used the Derby signal as a bargaining chip. Evans is in a class by himself. That is to say classless

How did they get from 2/07 "The goal is to be inclusive,not exclusive, so customers can access all content available in the marketplace" That was from the CDI/MEC initial announcement, to

last shareholder meeting where Evans proudly boasted we have "Content Advantage"

Thats where Evans stepped on his private parts and this thing has rapidly unraveled. The CDI board needs to send him packing.

Last edited by ponypro; 04-19-2008 at 09:43 AM.
ponypro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
sjk

In many states including Ohio and Kentucky purses have been flat or down over the last 10 years. The cost of feeding and caring for the animals continues to increase. Agricultural inflation is rampant and I am sure this has a bearing on costs.

The current economics don't work for the horsemen. Before last year Beulah always attracted large fields in spite of the fact that the purse structure was not good. The field sizes have dropped significantly in the past two years. I don't know how much longer they will be around as things stand and although there appear to be many of you that don't care some of us do.

I don't see that the racing industry has a bright future under the current setup. If the horsemen want to try to blow it up and start over again I don't blame them for going down swinging.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The best thing for racing is to lose some tracks at all levels. Less tracks equals bigger fields, better handle, better purses, etc.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #27
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
The best thing for racing is to lose some tracks at all levels. Less tracks equals bigger fields, better handle, better purses, etc.
I agree.

Care to start a list?
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
I agree.

Care to start a list?

I think the market will take care of that for us. Similar to the Airlines........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #29
sjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
So if the Ohio tracks close those horses will run in the races at the better tracks? Don't think they will be very competitive.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I said lose tracks at all levels. Beulah horses could ship to CT, Mnr, Pen, the new Pinnacle, wherever. It doesn't even have to be Beulah.

We need fewer bottom tracks, fewer mid level tracks, and a couple less top tier tracks wouldn't hurt either. There is only so much money to bet and pay in purses. It should be consolidated for the majority.

Last edited by cj; 04-19-2008 at 10:17 AM.