Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
NoCal Boy

Open access for ADW's (Almost here)?

THG is demanding open access for all ADW's. The issue with pricing in the various states can be negotiated on a state by state basis according to the laws of each state. Now how about all ADW's should be licensed in all applicable states so PTC can get licensed in CA and other places?

The issues that Daruty is arguing about in this article are easily rectified by tailoring the ADW commissions to the laws and regulations of each state.

Progress? We will see.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44614
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
ponypro
Veteran

Bob Evans is a loser

I told you Bob Evans wont win this fight. PTC looks to me to be a major major player when its all said and done with their understanding of the game and the players. Their tremdous added value as demostrated by the current Keeneland meet will pay massive dividends. You dont have to be a prick to win at business. Treat others like you like to be treated. Ian has surely done that in the exact same timeframe that tracknet has destroyed the Churchill brand. I would venture to say that

Kenneland is now the premier "Brand"

and PTC isnt far behind
ponypro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
NoCal Boy

It does seem like open access is near. The reasons daruty stated with having a problem with the 1/3 cut for purses have nothing to do with open access. Simply tailor it to each state law to make it work on splits.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
ponypro
Veteran

And Bob

Get ready for the Eliot Spitzer effect when tracknet implodes as I have outlined earlier. Their will absolute glee in the Industry when you are fired.
Imagine the major marketing inititiatives you can add to your resume.

CEO of the derby day infield --- no one has applied, yawn
Churchill private label wine -- double yawn
the absolutely stupid over/under bet yawn yawn failure
and most importantly the strategy that PURPOSELY LOSING CUSTOMERS is an acceptable business practice if you can jiggle the bottom line elsewhere.

Churchill is now a "two day wonder" nothing more. its a shame
but I dont care Ill take Keeneland any day over tracknet crap

Maybe a wal mart greeter is in your future... Doubt it, Sam wouldnt buy your attitude
ponypro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Cangamble
Agitator

Is Lone Star willing to buy NY's signal (for example) for 14 or 15% too? Are these guys nuts?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypro
I told you Bob Evans wont win this fight. PTC looks to me to be a major major player when its all said and done with their understanding of the game and the players. Their tremdous added value as demostrated by the current Keeneland meet will pay massive dividends. You dont have to be a prick to win at business. Treat others like you like to be treated. Ian has surely done that in the exact same timeframe that tracknet has destroyed the Churchill brand. I would venture to say that

Kenneland is now the premier "Brand"

and PTC isnt far behind
Thank you very much. We absolutely believe that this is a partnership, between us, the racetracks, the horsemen, and the players. It is very difficult to be successful without customers. We just try to treat people the way we want to be treated. Sure it's a business, and we're in this to make money, but we want our customers to feel like they're getting a fair shake. Whether it's in terms of rewards, proprietary information, customer service, etc. we want our customers to feel each and every day they play with us that their patronage is appreciated.

As far as the demand for open access, I really want that to be true, but the "other side of the story (as Paul Harvey likes to say) is that for now the Texas horsemen and the THG have allowed off-shore ADW's RGS and Elite to continue playing (even at Lone Star) without agreeing to the THG's terms. I am hoping that is an oversight.

Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
NoCal Boy

Is it possible the horsemen had already signed off on a contract with RGS and Elite so they had no choice but to honor the contracts at this time?

I believe that might be the case with TVG and Keeneland, etc. The horsemen could not withhold the signal at Keeneland without being in breach of contract. The TRacknet contracts were not yet signed off by horsemen so they were an easy target.

If the horsemen stand firm, there should be open access and somewhat better pricing for purses.

Scott Daruty's response was ridiculous. Simply adjust the purse contributions consistent with state laws to arrive at the desired rate. If the desired rate is 6%, then adjust the rate in conjunction with Texas law so that it equals 6%.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy
Is it possible the horsemen had already signed off on a contract with RGS and Elite so they had no choice but to honor the contracts at this time?
Yes, I would imagine it is possible. I was just very, very surprised when I found out that U.S. ADW's are precluded from taking Lone Star but RGS is not. That fact was omitted in the articles I had seen. It was actually brought to my attention by a player of ours that has an account with RGS as well.
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
InsideThePylons-MW

Multiple vultures fighting for bigger pieces of a shrinking pie. Pretty soon they'll be no pie left because they keep kicking the bettors who make the pie.

Last edited by InsideThePylons-MW; 04-16-2008 at 12:55 AM.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
NoCal Boy

If TVG announced they would open up their exclusive signals after the Keeneland meet, this would all get settled. The pressure on Tracknet to follow suit would be enormous. Probably get there anyways, but TVG could accelerate the process.

At this juncture, why would the horsemen allow a track to be exclusive for wagering? They would look like complete buffoons for giving in to Tracknet. Demand open access so you get as much handle as possible at decent rates.

Is this too difficult?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy

Is this too difficult?
For racing to understand, I think it is. Remember, it is these folks that constantly said two years ago when the internet gambling bill was up that if you shut out offshore wagering, guys who were getting 10% rebates would come play the same amount right into the pools for a toaster.

They have little/no concept what gambling and gamblers are about.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply